Chances at U of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LJoo83

learning...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

I didn't perform very well during my undergraduate years. Lots of extenuating circumstances but the end all is my grades didn't hack it.
I am honing specifically on U of MN because my live in boyfriend bought a house in the area thereby making us rather immobile (for the time being).
If the right opportunity presents itself we are open to the idea of moving, but I digress.

My plan of action is to start studying for the MCAT and see if my score is worth using in applying. After I receive my MCAT score and assuming it's a decent score, would it be better to retake my basic science prereqs or take a variety of upper division science course? Would Math courses be relevant?

I don't have the time nor money to apply to a Masters program.

Also, should I focus on padding my EC list? During my undergraduate, I worked full time as a Phlebotomist at the local Trauma Level 1 hospital. I did this for about five years. I was also a Tour Guide and a Rep for the Chancellor's Multicultural Affairs.

Last question-I currently work as a Sales Rep; should I keep my current employment or seek something health care related? If I choose the former I think it would make me interesting but if I choose the latter I am doing something extremely relevant towards med school.

I did call the U of MN main line but I couldn't get a lot of assistance from the person I spoke to. If I understood them correctly, they don't have on site admissions counselors to help you through the process.

Members don't see this ad.

UMinnesota med school acceptees have a mean GPA of 3.7, MCAT of 31. You would be better off retaking the prerequisites before attempting the MCAT, as getting a very good score will be important for you, retakes will help raise your low GPA, MCAT scores generally expire after 2-3 years, and multiple retakes are expensive.

Depending on your current undergrad GPA, you may also need to take upper-level science classes to continue your GPA repair efforts. Math classes are included in the BCPM GPA and would help raise this important benchmark used by med schools. They aren't very relevant, though, unless you need Calc for Calc-based physics.

Keep your current employment as entry-level health-related employment often pays poorly (and might be hard to find in today's job market). Instead start some clinical volunteering for 3-4 hours/week where you will have face-to-face interaction with sick people, and also demonstrate a service-minded altruism, which med schools look for. Your past phlebotomy experience will serve you well on your application.

How low is your uGPA?