1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Chances at U of Minnesota

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by LJoo83, Dec 24, 2008.

1. LJoo83

LJoo83 learning...
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I posted this question on the "What Are My Chances" forum as well because I didn't know how to find this one!
    Any sort of advice would be wonderful.

I didn't perform very well during my undergraduate years. Lots of extenuating circumstances but the end all is my grades didn't hack it.
    I am honing specifically on U of MN because my live in boyfriend bought a house in the area thereby making us rather immobile (for the time being).
    If the right opportunity presents itself we are open to the idea of moving, but I digress.

My plan of action is to start studying for the MCAT and see if my score is worth using in applying. After I receive my MCAT score and assuming it's a decent score, would it be better to retake my basic science prereqs or take a variety of upper division science course? Would Math courses be relevant?

I don't have the time nor money to apply to a Masters program.

Also, should I focus on padding my EC list? During my undergraduate, I worked full time as a Phlebotomist at the local Trauma Level 1 hospital. I did this for about five years. I was also a Tour Guide and a Rep for the Chancellor's Multicultural Affairs.

Last question-I currently work as a Sales Rep; should I keep my current employment or seek something health care related? If I choose the former I think it would make me interesting but if I choose the latter I am doing something extremely relevant towards med school.

I did call the U of MN main line but I couldn't get a lot of assistance from the person I spoke to. If I understood them correctly, they don't have on site admissions counselors to help you through the process.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.