Jul 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys!
Just got my MCAT scores back and needless to say am satisfied but a little wary about applying with them. I would really like your input with whether or not I should retake the MCAT.

I have a 3.89 overall GPA with a 3.9 science. I have gotten A's in nearly all the pre-med pre-reqs such as Physics and Orgo.
My MCAT score was a 29Q with the breakdown at 8V/11PS/10BS. I was really disappointed with the verbal score which is why I want to retake it but almost don't want to risk doing worse on the sciences. I averaged about a 29 on all the practice exams I took before the MCAT (And believe me... I took A TON!!) with about a 9 being my average on Verbal.

My extracurriculars are pretty good. I have had plenty of leadership positions in several organizations and have volunteered and shadowed. I did a medical mission trip last summer and have done a ton of volunteer work with the March of Dimes. I am currently also in charge of organizing a big 5K at my school that raises money for the March of Dimes.

I consider my interviewing skills to be very good.

With all that being said, I would love to hear your feedback on whether or not I should attempt to retake the MCAT or not. I have honestly not looked at a review book since taking the exam over a month ago and am unsure if I could beat the PS and BS scores I got the first time around. It has been my dream to go to medical school since I was little and I really want to have a good chance at getting in!

Thanks for your time!!

redlight

Senior Member :D
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2008
USA
Status
Pre-Medical
what are the mcat averages for your state schools?

if they are within a point or so of your 29 i like your chances because your gpa + ECs are likely above average

edit: take a peak at this: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt.htm

i think you can get in somewhere with some luck, but if you dont, you know your verbal held you back

danny317

10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
are you a Florida resident?

if so, then it will be tough but still possible.

good luck!

OP
G
Jul 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
are you a Florida resident?

if so, then it will be tough but still possible.

good luck!
No, I am a Georgia resident attending UF. I was told I'd be considered an in-state student for admissions purposes at UF however. For Georgia state schools my MCAT scores are pretty average.

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys!
Just got my MCAT scores back and needless to say am satisfied but a little wary about applying with them. I would really like your input with whether or not I should retake the MCAT.

I have a 3.89 overall GPA with a 3.9 science. I have gotten A's in nearly all the pre-med pre-reqs such as Physics and Orgo.
My MCAT score was a 29Q with the breakdown at 8V/11PS/10BS. I was really disappointed with the verbal score which is why I want to retake it but almost don't want to risk doing worse on the sciences. I averaged about a 29 on all the practice exams I took before the MCAT (And believe me... I took A TON!!) with about a 9 being my average on Verbal.

My extracurriculars are pretty good. I have had plenty of leadership positions in several organizations and have volunteered and shadowed. I did a medical mission trip last summer and have done a ton of volunteer work with the March of Dimes. I am currently also in charge of organizing a big 5K at my school that raises money for the March of Dimes.

I consider my interviewing skills to be very good.

With all that being said, I would love to hear your feedback on whether or not I should attempt to retake the MCAT or not. I have honestly not looked at a review book since taking the exam over a month ago and am unsure if I could beat the PS and BS scores I got the first time around. It has been my dream to go to medical school since I was little and I really want to have a good chance at getting in!

Thanks for your time!!
If you apply to all the GA and FL schools, you will definitely get in somewhere. Note that some of the FL schools only take FL residents, like UF. Make sure the other schools would also consider you a resident.

Beyond GA/FL, look into NY, PA, and Chicago for low tier schools - you will be competitive there. Also, consider Tulane.

I think you'll be fine - good luck!

OP
G
Jul 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
If you apply to all the GA and FL schools, you will definitely get in somewhere. Note that some of the FL schools only take FL residents, like UF. Make sure the other schools would also consider you a resident.

Beyond GA/FL, look into NY, PA, and Chicago for low tier schools - you will be competitive there. Also, consider Tulane.

I think you'll be fine - good luck!
Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!

I plan on applying to most of the Florida schools within reason since I am not technically a state resident.

Funny that you say that about Tulane too... for awhile after looking into med schools and figuring out where to apply it was my favorite program.

Last edited:

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!

I plan on applying to most of the Florida schools within reason since I am not technically a state resident.

Funny that you say that about Tulane too... for awhile after looking into med schools and figuring out where to apply it was my favorite program.
No problem - Good luck!