chances? cGPA: 3.6; sGPA: 3.38; MCAT: 32

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chimothy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Sorry to start yet another "chances" thread, but I like everyone's (well, almost everyone's) honesty and helpfulness on this site, and thought I'd give it a shot for my stats.

Like I said in the title, my cumulative undergrad GPA was 3.6, my science GPA was about 3.38, and my MCAT composite was 32 (PS: 12, VR: 9, BS: 11). I graduated from the University of Michigan last December, and my major was cellular/molecular bio. I've been working in a lab for the last 8 months, I volunteer at a soup kitchen on Fridays, I volunteered abroad for about a month on one occasion, I work at a library, and I expect that my LOR's will be good (I got to know the professors well). I have only taken the MCAT once, and I am a Michigan resident.

What do y'all think about the following list of MD schools I plan to apply to? Do I have a shot at any of them? Are there some which I should remove? Some I should add? Literally any constructive advice is appreciated.

University of Michigan (my wildest fantasy)
Michigan State
Wayne State
Central Michigan
Oakland University
Western Michigan
University of Toledo
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Drexel
George Washington
Creighton

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine with 6 in-state schools you'll be able to get into one. I never realized MI had so many, Geez. That sGPA is low, but what stands out for me is a lack of clinical experience. Have you volunteered in a hospital or medical setting before? If not that will help you not only gain exposure to the medical field but it will greatly strengthen your application. Most successful applicant have at least some clincal volunteer work and many amass several hundred hours.

Rush in Chicago is another school to consider, as well as St. Louis if you want to go MD.

Thanks for the input, pio97.

I actually just submitted my volunteer application to the University hospital last week, so with any luck I'll start getting some exposure soon! In addition, I forgot to mention that I shadowed a Rheumatologist last year, if that counts for anything.