Chances / Competitiveness for General Surgery

MemphisBlues

5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2016
  1. Medical Student
    how did your interview season end up going OP? did you pass CS the second time?

Interview season went pretty well but underwhelmed my hopes. My PD told me that the CS result wouldn't matter at all and that I'd interview basically everywhere I applied given my application strength. That didn't turn out to be quite right, but the interview season was far less pessimistic than many on this thread predicted.

I did pass the CS exam on the second try, and received the result at the tail end of invite season so it likely didn't impact my season very much. The experience really increased my cynicism about the exam, as I don't believe I improved in any meaningful way when comparing the second with the first attempt. I felt pretty much the same walking out of the exam center the second time as the first. The entire experience was very frustrating, and I believe limited what would have otherwise been an excellent interview season. However, I still had a pretty good season. Nothing to sneeze at.

Overall, I got plenty of invitations to interview (~ 33% invite rate). I got a few "top" interviews. With that said, it is utterly humiliating that I did not get interviews at many of the "top" programs in the country -- as, I believe, my application otherwise merited it. I will likely match at a first or second tier academic program, but there is significant question now whereas without the CS result I think I would have had interviews at most of the "top" programs in the country.

Reactions: 1 user

AthleteDoc7

2+ Year Member
    Nov 5, 2014
      Interview season went pretty well but underwhelmed my hopes. My PD told me that the CS result wouldn't matter at all and that I'd interview basically everywhere I applied given my application strength. That didn't turn out to be quite right, but the interview season was far less pessimistic than many on this thread predicted.

I did pass the CS exam on the second try, and received the result at the tail end of invite season so it likely didn't impact my season very much. The experience really increased my cynicism about the exam, as I don't believe I improved in any meaningful way when comparing the second with the first attempt. I felt pretty much the same walking out of the exam center the second time as the first. The entire experience was very frustrating, and I believe limited what would have otherwise been an excellent interview season. However, I still had a pretty good season. Nothing to sneeze at.

Overall, I got plenty of invitations to interview (~ 33% invite rate). I got a few "top" interviews. With that said, it is utterly humiliating that I did not get interviews at many of the "top" programs in the country -- as, I believe, my application otherwise merited it. I will likely match at a first or second tier academic program, but there is significant question now whereas without the CS result I think I would have had interviews at most of the "top" programs in the country.

that's unreal. i'm sorry to hear it. most would agree this test has become a money grabbing scam, and it's unfortunate you feel it negatively impacted your cycle.

look at the bright side, sounds like you got a lot of good interviews and shouldn't have an issue matching. thanks for keeping us in the loop, and i wish you the best in March. hope you get your #1

Last edited:
      Reactions: 1 user
      About the Ads
      This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.