Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

DO Chances? Feeling badly.

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by dewman, 09.30.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. dewman

dewman 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Hey Guys,

I was wondering what all of you thought my chances were for getting into a DO program. I just received my MCAT scores and am really upset since I was averaging ~32...

cGPA: 3.16 (top 20 university. Huge upward trend. average of junior year was 3.5 and senior year was 3.7)

MCAT: 28 11/8/9 (8/27/2014)

Research: 240 hours at top medical school (MD) 2 publications in preparation

Shadowing: ~80 hours shadowing an pediatric general surgeon

Clinical volunteering: ~140 hours (speaking with patients who are waiting in busy emergency room to ensure their comfort)

Non-clinical volunteering: planning on biking across the country for habitat for humanity

Any input on whether I have a chance would be appreciated. I live in New Jersey.

Edit: also forgot to mention that I was an athlete for the first 3 years of college before I was injured during the final year.

Am currently in a SMP

Last edited: 09.30.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. diesel2101

diesel2101 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You're fine for DO once you get a LOR from one. I'd also beef up the non-clinical volunteering.

4. deejaymd

deejaymd

You definitely have a shot at DO based on MCAT alone and the upward trend. Yes, your cumulative GPA is rather low but any school that sees your ECs and higher GPA for junior and senior year will take that into account.

5. user3

user3 SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    if your science GPA is > 3.0, chances are solid. Apply broadly, avoid CCOM and AZCOM.

6. dewman

dewman 2+ Year Member

I was actually thinking of CCOM, PCOM and AZCOM as my first choices... Do you think if I am able to pull off a >3.7 in my master's program that my first two years of undergrad will still keep me from their considerations? (Considering how large my undergrad upward trend was)

7. pollos

pollos

AZCOM won't consider anyone with an MCAT below 29... so that type of mentality from a school is something you should consider if they end up looking at lower MCATs. Overall though, I think you have a good shot just apply broadly and beef up your non-clinical volunteering.

8. dewman

dewman 2+ Year Member

hmm that doesn't seem true if the 2014 average was 29.... That doesn't necessarily mean you won't be considered for having lower than a 29. Unless you saw information elsewhere which explicitly says "We do not consider applications with an MCAT score below 29" I do not see how you could say that.

Source: https://www.midwestern.edu/programs-and-admission/az-osteopathic-medicine.html

9. pollos

pollos

The school specifically said they aren't considering MCATs lower than 29 at this time. So at this point, they're trying to fill their class with MCATs at or above. And I know, it doesn't make sense because of their average but this year they're getting all high and mighty.

Edit: I'll try and find the specific thread/where I saw this but I'm sure if you go on AZCOM school specific there will be talk of it. Also, if you look at the interview invite thread, you'll notice every single person has an MCAT of 29 or above.

10. dewman

dewman 2+ Year Member

Crap. Okay thanks for the disheartening information lol Hopefully CCOM isn't the same way since they are both branches of midwestern university. I would be crushed to find that I missed the cutoff by one point. Especially since I have not gotten below a 10 on VR on any FL practices...

11. dewman

dewman 2+ Year Member

What are thoughts on Western University - Pomona?

I just did some research on them and it looks like a pretty solid school with an excellent campus.

12. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    I concur! The only school to skip would be AZCOM, whose minimum is 29.

13. dewman

dewman 2+ Year Member

Would a MD letter of rec be acceptable? I have general experiences with DOs being that the hospital I volunteer at is on the Rowan SOM campus. Do I have to have formal do shadowing experience?

Also what do you think my chances are at the touros and western? Sorry for the question bombardment. It just seems like you are very knowledgeable about the admissions process based on other threads.

14. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    For most COMs, yes, nut a few, like LECOM, require a DO LOR.
    Would a MD letter of rec be acceptable? I have general experiences with DOs being that the hospital I volunteer at is on the Rowan SOM campus.

No, but it always helps.
    Do I have to have formal do shadowing experience?

Chances fine!
    Also what do you think my chances are at the touros and western?

15. midweststudent1

midweststudent1 2+ Year Member

Is would still apply to at least 8-10, if you haven't submitted your app yet.....it's funny to say, but it's getting late---my schools already accepted a bunch of people

16. midweststudent1

midweststudent1 2+ Year Member

but if you apply fairly broadly, I think you have a good chance! you've made it this far, you're almost there!

17. dewman

dewman 2+ Year Member

I'm actually not applying until next summer. Right now I'm volunteering and taking a master's biomedical sciences program. I'm also substituting for elementary schools for some spare cash and to see if I can handle kids all day since I am thinking pediatrics.

midweststudent1 likes this.

About the ads