This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaveGoodbye

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied in late August for the 2023 cycle to the following schools:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I applied in late August for the 2023 cycle to the following schools:

UNC
ECU
NYU
BU
Tufts
LECOM

My stats were a 3.13 overall GPA
2.67 science gpa
DAT: 22AA, 20TS, 21 PAT, 25 RC
I have strong leadership from sorority president and worked multiple jobs through college. about 150 dental shadowing hours with plans for dental volunteering hours as well as over 200 children's hospital shadowing.

I received interviews at UNC and NYU - I got rejected post interview by UNC and waitlisted by NYU.

This entire year I have been in a SMP at Tulane and will likely graduate with a 4.0 masters GPA (or something very close like a 3.97 or 3.95)

I will likely reapply to UNC and ECU because those are my two in-state schools. Are there other schools I should reapply too? Any schools I should add to my list. Does this GPA increase my chances, or are there other things I need to be doing? I really want to get in this next cycle.

apply early and broadly

Reactions: 1 user
NYU waitlisting you is actually a big gift, so don't worry too much about that one.

UNC on the other hand is a different story. Have you contacted UNC yet to ask what you can do to improve your application to be more competitive at their program? Doing well in that masters program is great, so that definitely helps your chances.

You are applying to very expensive schools, unless you are have someone financing your education you may want to consider adding some cheaper programs to that list.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well that's great you're in contact with admissions at UNC, and it seems like you're following his advice on how to make your application more competitive. If you got an interview and performed well even though they thought your stats were a bit on the low side that is a great sign

School lists are subjective, it's up to whatever you want to spend on dental school if you are paying for it yourself. I think you have a great shot at UNC this cycle. Maybe look into some universities that allow you to get in-state tuition after your first year. NYU, BU and Tufts are ridiculously expensive

MUSC costs more than most private schools.

Their tuition and fees alone are over 100k per year as OOS. Probably best to avoid this school.

I hope you get into UNC!

with your master's gpa is your science gpa above 3.0 now??
I think the major thing that was holding you back from all of the schools the first time u applied was your science gpa

Yes, it is a 3.12 overall science, just biology is a 3.35 since that was what my master's was counted under. I also had a strong GPA upward trend from sophomore year to senior year and then the master's
What's gonna be your plan in applying after you did well in your master's? During your interviews did the admissions officers know what your grades were for the first part of your master's program?

with your master's gpa is your science gpa above 3.0 now??
I think the major thing that was holding you back from all of the schools the first time u applied was your science gpa

your masters GPA is separate form undergrad
its not official on AADSAS, but schools look at them separately

Congrats! Wishing you all the best. Your story is inspirational to someone like me with a low GPA :)

I got into UNC and Tufts on December 2. If you work hard to improve your app, are honest in interviews and have open communication with schools, anything is possible.
congrats! may I ask how much your cumulative science gpa changed after your masters?

Status
Not open for further replies.