Chances for acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeronimoJungle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I would like to get some input on my chances for getting accepted this year into an M.D. school.

cGPA: 3.28
sGPA: 3.3
last 31 hours of cGPA/sGPA: 4.0 (O Chem II, Genetics, Human Phys, etc)
MCAT: I will take it on 5/22 - getting pretty good practice scores >30
State: TX

I had a rough start at a community college due to beginning when I was 15. This has pulled my GPA to the low level it is now. As you can see, I have dramatically improved my grades. Now I am 20, and will graduate with a BS before turning 21.

I have worked 20-30 hours/wk in the medical field for about three years now - 1.5 as a veterinary technician, and 1.5 as a surgical second assistant (human :laugh:). I have recommendation letters from my universities HPAC, as well as from an O Chem prof, my surgery manager, and two surgeons. I have a lot of EC (lots of backpacking, kayaking, skydiving, scuba diving, rock climbing, etc). I have ~10 hours of community service. I have helped teach (as an UGrad TA) in a Zoology and Animal Physiology lab.

I have a couple of questions. 1: How many schools will look at the GPA and immediately screen me out? 2: Which schools outside of TX should I apply to?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You have about the same stats as me

You're gonna have to apply broadly. I'm applying to all the lower-mid tier schools if I break a 30 on the MCAT but it's gonna be tough for you and me bud- The thing I'm trying to do is apply early, like right after I get my score I'm turning it in, on June 2 or 3rd which is I think a day or two after the official turn in date, if I get a 30+ that is but seeing you're taking on the 22nd you'll be a turning in your primaries a little later.

Unless you're also applying to osteopathic schools, I'd suggest you plan on another application cycle, as you're a long shot for MD schools without a great MCAT score (like 34+), or a much-improved GPA. You might do better to think about some additional post-bac work after your senior year, waiting for awhile to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools don't automatically screen out unless its below 3.0, but I would think higher ranked schools would screen 3.25-3.3. No one really knows and for every 5 people who say there's an automatic cut-off for one school is one person that passed that cut-off. School websites usually specify if they do have GPA minimum requirements: a lot of state schools do this for OOS students, so you will have to look at the places you want to apply to specifically to get an answer to this question.

I agree that with your GPA you do need to have a very strong MCAT score and additional coursework would be advisable. You may also want to give some thought to research, maybe? I think the more experiences you have, the better.

Look at lower-ranked private schools and grab an MSAR or look at the "School Selector" sticky at the top of the thread.

I'll go ahead and apply this time around and hope for the best. Where I apply specifically will depend on my MCAT score, although I would like to have everything filled out and ready to send the second I get it back.

If I do not get in this year then next semester I'll graduate Magna Cum Laude from my university (GPA >3.7) and get some research done. My overall GPA will still be ~3.4 at that point due to being a stupid slacker at 15-16.

Thanks for the advise.

Have you ever considered the Caribbean Schools?

I actually haven't. I'm doing med school through the navy, so cost shouldn't be an issue. What would be the downside to a Caribbean school? I'm planning on going to the flight surgeon school after my intern year, and applying to residency after 3-4 years of that. I think that even as a Caribbean school grad I would be able to get into a good residency program after 4 years of being a GMO/Lt.

Thoughts?

I actually haven't. I'm doing med school through the navy, so cost shouldn't be an issue. What would be the downside to a Caribbean school? I'm planning on going to the flight surgeon school after my intern year, and applying to residency after 3-4 years of that. I think that even as a Caribbean school grad I would be able to get into a good residency program after 4 years of being a GMO/Lt.

Thoughts?

What do you mean by good residency program? A big name or a competitive field or both? Even with the 3-4 years of flight surgeon training coming out of the Caribbean will hurt vs a US MD/DO. I think this decision may be a little premature until your MCAT comes back.