Chances for ACGME IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deusomega

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all just wanted to know your opinion on my chances for matching ACGME IM.

I'm a DO student my stats are as follows:

COMLEX I: 600
COMLEX II: 620
USMLE I: 236
USMLE II: 227(hurts so bad)
1 research paper published
Honored IM, Psych, Surgery, rest mix of HP and pass.

I know that the USMLE Step 2 is a big red flag but wondered if I still have decent chances for community IM and any chance at all for lower ranked academic IM programs. Also is my thinking correct that acgme community programs are typically a better route vs. any AOA programs? And how hard did I screw myself with the Step 2 CK faceplant?

Thanks alot.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that the USMLE Step 2 is a big red flag but wondered if I still have decent chances for community IM and any chance at all for lower ranked academic IM programs. Also is my thinking correct that acgme community programs are typically a better route vs. any AOA programs? And how hard did I screw myself with the Step 2 CK faceplant?

Thanks alot.

You're probably fine for community IM bruh. I think you also have a good shot at low ranked academic IM if you apply broadly

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks alot.
You'll match. Aim for low and mid-tier academic. Include community as safety.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks alot.

When did you publish the paper.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Apply to a bunch of low-tier academic, maybe a few mid-tier that have taken DOs in the past as reaches, and some university-affiliated community programs. If you're in the northeast, feel free to send me a PM and I can send you a few recommendations (not a comprehensive list, but a few in New England).