• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Chances for an American in Canada?

pipermn

Apr 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
  1. Pre-Medical
Greetings! I'm currently taking the pre-med prereqs in Minnesota and was thinking of applying to and possibly moving to Canada. I have read that the Canadian system is far more competitive than the US. I have a cumulative gpa of 3.9 and so far a cumulative science gpa of 4.0 though that will change after this semester as I'm in organic chem and have a B going. :) I know a lot of Canadian schools don't look at the science classes as much or the science portion of the mcat (which I will be studying for this Summer).

I also have over 100 hours of volunteering at a hospital and a lot more volunteering for other various groups. Anybody know what my chances might be of getting into a Canadian medical school, particularly Toronto? Or perhaps know if any good resources/info? Thanks!

Tom

BetrayingChopin

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2009
California
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Greetings! I'm currently taking the pre-med prereqs in Minnesota and was thinking of applying to and possibly moving to Canada. I have read that the Canadian system is far more competitive than the US. I have a cumulative gpa of 3.9 and so far a cumulative science gpa of 4.0 though that will change after this semester as I'm in organic chem and have a B going. :) I know a lot of Canadian schools don't look at the science classes as much or the science portion of the mcat (which I will be studying for this Summer).

I also have over 100 hours of volunteering at a hospital and a lot more volunteering for other various groups. Anybody know what my chances might be of getting into a Canadian medical school, particularly Toronto? Or perhaps know if any good resources/info? Thanks!

Tom

If you haven't, please check out the following document:
http://www.afmc.ca/pdf/2012_ad_bk.pdf
It's like the (crappy) Canadian version of the MSAR.
Your GPA looks good for pretty much any Canadian school including UofT, and you're right in that Canadian schools don't seem to emphasize on MCAT scores as much as American schools.

Tip for you: getting a lot of shadowing will help you stand out. As you probably know, physician shadowing is a major pain in the *** for most Canadian students, but rather easy to do in the US.

Good luck!

pipermn

Apr 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
  1. Pre-Medical
I was not aware that shadowing was so difficult for Canadians. I would have thought with the privacy laws here that it would be difficult too but thanks for the info and recommendation.

I had seen the "7 out of 259" figure for Toronto, which is part of why I'm asking. It does seem a lot more competitive there and it seems that a lot of Canadian students are going to other countries for their MD education.

Thanks to you both for the info!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.