delete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted607875

delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I'll keep it factual and to the point. I would like to hear some thoughts on my chances for admission to American University of the Caribbean. I am looking at January 2019 (assuming that the infrastructure of St. Martin is adequately rebuilt given the recent storm).

Is the MS in Physio a post-bacc program? If you're planning that far into the future, why not devote yourself to serious MCAT studying and trying to get into a US school? You would certainly be a candidate for most DO schools with just a modest improvement in your MCAT score, and surely you must have built some good relationships with UofL faculty for some letters of rec, etc. With multiple degrees from there, I can't imagine that they wouldn't at least grant you a second look.

Alternatively, if you're affiliated with the USAF in some fashion, perhaps consider one of the military pathways to becoming a physician officer by attending a medical school in the US on the US Gov's dime.

I'm sure you'd have no problem getting accepted to AUC with your current stats. I'm just not sure why you'd want to do that instead of considering some better and faster options.

Reactions: 1 user
AUC is going to be hard to get into with those stats man. Despite what some people here would have you believe, you need more than a pulse and a tuition check to get into some of the more established Caribbean programs. There are people with higher stats who are getting rejected from mid-tier schools.

What are your individual pre-req grades and what courses did you take in that masters program? SGU looks at the last 30 credits and renders decisions so even people with lower GPA's can redeem themselves. I know someone with a higher undergrad GPA than you who got rejected from SGU pre-med. Believe it or not it happens.

AUC doesn't have the same applicant pool as SGU but I can tell you it won't be any easier. My money says if you apply to AUC right now, they will MERP you based on the MCAT and undergrad.

I don't know what the MS entails but depending on the coursework and grades, that could make a big difference and you would be better off discussing that with an AUC admissions counselor not on this site that has an anti-Caribbean bias.

These schools won't care about the EMS and certifications regarding an admissions decision.

Why are you interested in AUC and not SGU or Ross?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I'll keep it factual and to the point. I would like to hear some thoughts on my chances for admission to American University of the Caribbean. I am looking at January 2019 (assuming that the infrastructure of St. Martin is adequately rebuilt given the recent storm).

MCAT (May 2016): 499
Chemical and physical: 124
Critical analysis: 127
Biology and biochemical: 127
Psychological and social: 121

B.A. Biology from the University of Louisville (December 2013)
Overall Undergrad GPA: 2.42

M.S. Physiology & Biophysics from the University of Louisville School of Medicine (May 2016)
Program GPA: 3.53

M.P.H. Environmental & Occupational Health from the University of Louisville School of Public Health & Information Sciences (May 2016)
Program GPA: 3.16

Notes about graduate school: I took 2 semesters each of 600 level physiology (I and II) and biochemistry (I and II), which were taught by medical school faculty, in many cases using the same PowerPoint and similar exam questions that were given to the medical and dental students. I scored high marks in these courses.

Also while in graduate school, I worked on 3 projects that resulted in published papers:
1) Conducted zero gravity flights with NASA to develop surgical methods in reduced gravity
2) Worked on a U.S. Air Force critical care transport project to support integration of dialysis capabilities to an ECMO-style system for blast injuries
3) Worked on a public health project related to opioid use, tracking ED presentations and noticing trends between decreasing opioid pill usage and increasing heroin usage.

I became an EMT-Basic in July 2009 and then went on to become a Paramedic in January 2012. I worked full time in EMS until January 2017 (throughout both undergrad and grad school). I still work EMS as a paramedic a couple of times a month. I hold certifications in advanced cardiovascular life support and pediatric advanced life support (among others).

I currently work in strategy consulting for a large health insurance company.

Thanks in advance!

Your MCAT score, 2.42 uGPA, and and MPH gpa of sub 3.2 are equivalent to life without parole sentences served consecutively for American MD and DO schools. Any post-bac GPA or grad GPA needs to be above a 3.7 given how inflated most of these are and it's your last chance to redeem yourself for poor undergrad performance.

However, you have a checkbook? Willing to take out government loans for AUC? You're a shoe-in for AUC.

You're a shoe-in for AUC.

Can all of us please stop saying this even though you feel the need to do it based on some impulse. Nobody is a "shoe-in" for any of those Caribbean programs that are 50-state approved. Just trust me on that one.

Reactions: 1 users
(Posted over three years ago.)

Before anyone posts another "what are my chances" thread, read this...

The only information that has changed is the new MCAT scoring system. No one else posting on this thread has any clue what AUC's admissions committee will say despite their apparently arrogant surety of themselves.

Likewise, you need to consider too that St. Martin just got smashed by Hurricane Irma.

Just apply.

-Skip

Reactions: 2 users
I think you'll get MERPed. Many people in my MERP class had >500 MCAT scores. I know a person with a 512 and another with a 515, but their GPA was terrible.

I think you'll get MERPed. Many people in my MERP class had >500 MCAT scores. I know a person with a 512 and another with a 515, but their GPA was terrible.

Pay attention @Skip Intro . Nobody is being "arrogant" but some of us apparently are in denial.

Just for some clarification. Nobody is disagreeing with anything I have posted on the subject of Caribbean medical schools and anytime I post something, someone else simply verifies it which makes me wonder if some of the people on this site that say I don't know what I'm talking about are either stupid or have an axe to grind with me. The latter would just be plain stupid because you don't know me or why I withdrew from a Caribbean program. And there are some that need a little reinforcement here and there because they keep confusing withdrawing and failing. We all need to suck up our pride and give credit where credit is due. That is what makes this site useful to whoever views it now or in the future. Right now, my advice is gold. A few years from now, that may not be the case but at least I am going to admit that to you.

In reference to the OP's original question, the best advice is to advise them that if they apply to AUC that they will indeed be MERPed if they are not rejected flat out. The user above me feels that way and, again, I know people who applied to Ross and AUC and people from Ross and AUC who ended up at MUA. Hell, I applied to AUC in 2014!

The correct advice is NOT ...
No one else posting on this thread has any clue what AUC's admissions committee will say...
IMO, this provides nothing and is just a waste of scrolling through an extra post trying to find one with some substance; an extra post that could have been better spent typing something else like "I like ham & cheese croissants because croissants taste better than white bread."

I'm sorry but my advice regarding this matter is the absolute best advice. I will absolutely not lead anyone on about these schools when I know stuff you think you know.

He's gotten a 3.5 master's GPA taking med school level classes at a U.S. med school. His MCAT isn't bad notwithstanding the psych section. Schools care more about the verbal and bio sections anyway which he scored quite well on (127) which is roughly 78th and 83rd percentile plus paramedic EC. He's a shoe in to AUC and shouldn't get MERPed.

He's gotten a 3.5 master's GPA taking med school level classes at a U.S. med school. His MCAT isn't bad notwithstanding the psych section. Schools care more about the verbal and bio sections anyway which he scored quite well on (127) which is roughly 78th and 83rd percentile plus paramedic EC. He's a shoe in to AUC and shouldn't get MERPed.

That was cute.

I'm sorry but my advice regarding this matter is the absolute best advice.

What should be abundantly clear to anyone even skimming your posts is that you are only here to troll.

-Skip

What should be abundantly clear to anyone even skimming your posts is that you are only here to troll.

-Skip

You know that's really funny you say that because based on all of your responses, that's what I've been wondering about you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just for some clarification. Nobody is disagreeing with anything I have posted on the subject of Caribbean medical schools and anytime I post something, someone else simply verifies it which makes me wonder if some of the people on this site that say I don't know what I'm talking about are either stupid or have an axe to grind with me.
Just about everyone who actually has the full experience of being a Caribbean medical student (i.e. finishing school, applying to residency, starting residency, etc) disagrees with just about everything you post. I know I certainly do. The only axe people have to grind with you is that it's painfully obvious that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about yet feel the need to comment relentlessly on every thread in the Caribbean forum as some sort of expert. It's exhausting.

To the OP, you'll get into AUC. If they try to MERP you, just say no (politely of course) and they will accept you to the main program. But I agree with others that you should attempt admission to DO schools before going to the Caribbean.

Reactions: 3 users
Just about everyone who actually has the full experience of being a Caribbean medical student

You disagree with what I'm posting because you don't want to accept it. I'm cool with that, it's human nature and we all want to feel like we are right and the other person is wrong. I'm not posting for your approval though.

When you can't argue logically with someone, it's very easy to get defensive and frustrated and say "eh you have no idea what you're talking about." People aren't stupid though, they will come to their own conclusions and right now, none of you guys are helping your cause.

I'm telling the OP they will get rejected by AUC, you're telling them they will get in. You're saying I don't know what I'm talking about yet I provide admissions facts BASED ON MY OWN EXPERIENCE APPLYING TO FREAKING AUC and then another AUC student verifies those same facts.

If you want to argue with me, bring something to the table man. I can handle you guys lol. You and a few other people sound like people hired by these schools to sell the Caribbean experience to the unknowing. That ain't gonna happen as long as I'm here.

If they try to MERP you, just say no (politely of course) and they will accept you to the main program.

You know for a fact that this approach will work? This is stupid advice.

You know that's really funny you say that because based on all of your responses, that's what I've been wondering about you.

Most people participating in this forum truly don't care what you think let alone "wonder about".

-Skip

You know for a fact that this approach will work? This is stupid advice.

Why do you think you have the best advice or your advice is any better? Yes he has a low undergrad GPA but he has a master's GPA in med school science courses that shows he can handle the material. His MCAT bio is 83rd percentile which shows his science foundation is strong not to mention paramedic training. There is literally no reason why he isn't in the drivers seat right now if he wants the Caribbean. If AUC doesn't want him, he can go to SGU or Ross with those stats but more than likely AUC will take him. And if they don't he can re apply.

OP @tlkennedy3 my advice to you is retake the MCAT, no reason to be getting a 121 on the psych section, and with such an unbalanced score your MCAT should be much better based on your other sections. Clearly your critical thinking and reasoning skills are pretty good since you did well on the verbal. The psych/sociology section is an easy section to study up on and review. Clearly you just had a bad day there.

Why do you think you have the best advice or your advice is any better? Yes he has a low undergrad GPA but he has a master's GPA in med school science courses that shows he can handle the material. His MCAT bio is 83rd percentile which shows his science foundation is strong not to mention paramedic training. There is literally no reason why he isn't in the drivers seat right now if he wants the Caribbean. If AUC doesn't want him, he can go to SGU or Ross with those stats but more than likely AUC will take him. And if they don't he can re apply.

OP @tlkennedy3 my advice to you is retake the MCAT, no reason to be getting a 121 on the psych section, and with such an unbalanced score your MCAT should be much better based on your other sections. Clearly your critical thinking and reasoning skills are pretty good since you did well on the verbal. The psych/sociology section is an easy section to study up on and review. Clearly you just had a bad day there.

And your experience down the Caribbean route is what exactly?

My experience- researched into the big 4 schools when I was a premed not too long ago and I have friends at AUC.

Ok great, so in other words you have no experience down that route. Thanks for being honest though.

You disagree with what I'm posting because you don't want to accept it. I'm cool with that, it's human nature and we all want to feel like we are right and the other person is wrong. I'm not posting for your approval though.

When you can't argue logically with someone, it's very easy to get defensive and frustrated and say "eh you have no idea what you're talking about." People aren't stupid though, they will come to their own conclusions and right now, none of you guys are helping your cause.

I'm telling the OP they will get rejected by AUC, you're telling them they will get in. You're saying I don't know what I'm talking about yet I provide admissions facts BASED ON MY OWN EXPERIENCE APPLYING TO FREAKING AUC and then another AUC student verifies those same facts.

If you want to argue with me, bring something to the table man. I can handle you guys lol. You and a few other people sound like people hired by these schools to sell the Caribbean experience to the unknowing. That ain't gonna happen as long as I'm here.

@the argus actually knows what he is talking about regarding the Caribbean. He is a recent Ross grad in case you didn't know, so his advice carries weight on this forum and he is disagreeing with you. Yet apparently only your advice should be followed...

actually knows what he is talking about regarding the Caribbean.

My friend, I'm going to type this real slow so you can read it real slow ok. You don't need to graduate from the Caribbean to understand the Caribbean.

Nobody said to follow my advice, I'd like to think my advice is very neutral. I tell most people not to go but I do give credit where it is due and explain that there are people that make it out but it is hard to predict who. You have straight-A students who failed down that path and you have C-students who succeeded. It's a giant risk and hard work alone is not the solution.

You will never understand that if you have never set foot on any of those islands.

If anything, a graduate will be biased and you shouldn't be biased FOR a Caribbean school when their attrition rates are sky high. Someone needs to explain why those attrition rates are that high and I think I do a pretty good job of that.

When you make it down to the island, then come back and argue with me because right now YOU are the one who doesn't know what their talking about.

For anyone following this / for future reference, I was accepted to AUC and will be attending in May 2018.

For anyone following this / for future reference, I was accepted to AUC and will be attending in May 2018.
Did you have to do the MERP program!? What is the minimum GPA they consider for direct admission to the med school? I am asking because I applied to AUC with a high GPA but my mcat was a 488 and they said I’d have to take MERP since it wasn’t a 490. I got offered an interview but she didn’t mention MERP. If you could provide any information I would appreciate it:)! Applying for Fall semester!

Did you have to do the MERP program!? What is the minimum GPA they consider for direct admission to the med school? I am asking because I applied to AUC with a high GPA but my mcat was a 488 and they said I’d have to take MERP since it wasn’t a 490. I got offered an interview but she didn’t mention MERP. If you could provide any information I would appreciate it:)! Applying for Fall semester!
How high is your gpa? TBH you'll most likely get merp because 488 is atrocious. Did you study?

How high is your gpa? TBH you'll most likely get merp because 488 is atrocious. Did you study?
3.9 GPA. I took it 3 years ago prior to having biochemistry,physics and psych. Was considering sitting out a year and retaking it after I graduate undergrad

3.9 GPA. I took it 3 years ago prior to having biochemistry,physics and psych. Was considering sitting out a year and retaking it after I graduate undergrad
Dude, your gpa is great. Don't go to the Caribbean just because of the mcat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, your gpa is great. Don't not go to the Caribbean just because of the mcat.
Thanks. For anyone who has applied or interviewed at AUC, so they tell you if you are interviewing for MERP or direct admission? When I filed my application I selected I would be retaking my mcat. When they called me for the interview they did not mention MERP. I double majored in biology and chemistry and obtained a psych minor. I have researched in a pharmacology lab and chemistry lab. I have been a scribe st 3 different hospitals EDs. I have also done clinical research at one of the biggest EDs on the Eastbound coast. Im also a bilingual (Spanish) individual. My main concern is my MCAT score. Any advice I’d appreciate!

Thanks. For anyone who has applied or interviewed at AUC, so they tell you if you are interviewing for MERP or direct admission? When I filed my application I selected I would be retaking my mcat. When they called me for the interview they did not mention MERP. I double majored in biology and chemistry and obtained a psych minor. I have researched in a pharmacology lab and chemistry lab. I have been a scribe st 3 different hospitals EDs. I have also done clinical research at one of the biggest EDs on the Eastbound coast. Im also a bilingual (Spanish) individual. My main concern is my MCAT score. Any advice I’d appreciate!

DO NOT DO MERP. The pass rate for that program is literally less than 50%. Some classes it is only 30%. Grade deflation, just like in the MD program is the name of the game. Yes they claim they will give you a refund, but that is only for tuition, not living expenses/books/etc. Why waste your time and your money on a program that isn't even accredited nor do you get any transferable course credits?

There are quite a few options for carib schools, pick a better one.

DO NOT DO MERP. The pass rate for that program is literally less than 50%. Some classes it is only 30%. Grade deflation, just like in the MD program is the name of the game. Yes they claim they will give you a refund, but that is only for tuition, not living expenses/books/etc. Why waste your time and your money on a program that isn't even accredited nor do you get any transferable course credits?

There are quite a few options for carib schools, pick a better one.

Thank you for your reply! I was looking to MERP passes rates and couldn’t find much on it. Which Caribbean schools would you recommend?

Thank you for your reply! I was looking to MERP passes rates and couldn’t find much on it. Which Caribbean schools would you recommend?

Ross/AUC won't publish pass rates for MERP (or for the MD program) which is a HUGE RED FLAG.

SGU is hands down the best Carib school, but it is insanely expensive and the class sizes recently have been way too big for what I would consider a positive learning environment. The January class is better than September because it is smaller.

There are 2 other schools with the same level of CAAM-HP accredidation that you could consider- Trinity and AUA. Both of those are smaller class sizes, cheaper and newer schools. I honestly dont know much about either school, but you could probably find out more if you made a new post. Don't go to one of the provisional/initial accredidation schools.

The schools with ACCM that you could consider: UMHS & MUA. I dont know a ton about UMHS, but I've heard decent things about MUA.

There are 3 other schools with ACCM that I would not consider: SABA, Xavier or SMU.

In summary,
consider: SGU, Trinity, AUA, UMHS, MUA
avoid: Ross, AUC, SABA, Xavier, SMU, any other school.

There are 2 other schools with the same level of CAAM-HP accredidation that you could consider- Trinity and AUA.

:rolleyes:

Everyone should be very careful and circumspect about taking this kind of advice on a public anonymous forum without doing their own independent verification and due diligence, especially from this poster.

-Skip

I'm with Skip on this one.

The schools most worth considering are SGU, Ross, and AUC.

Because Ross is in the middle of a crisis with hurricane damage, I probably wouldn't recommend it. Although it might turn out fine, especially if they get to stay in TN for awhile -- then there's no time out of the US.

Saba I don't know enough about to say anything.

AUA and MUA are tier two.

Everything else is a mess, would avoid.

My 2 cents. But what do I know?

My advice regarding pre-matriculation programs is two-fold.

1. If you can't get accepted straight into a Caribbean MD program, you are not meant to be a doctor...at least not yet. They are not doing you any favors trying to give you a basic sciences crash course before you start. Education doesn't work like that. Becoming a solid student takes time, it doesn't happen in one semester.

2. At SGU, we have something called "Foundations to Medicine." It's similar to the MERP program. I don't know what pass statistics are but I have several classmates with me that went through that program and subsequently made it off the island and passed STEP1/2 so I suppose they can be helpful for certain students. I don't however believe that it's the program that actually helped the student rather I believe the program scared the student into waking up and doing the work.

My opinion is that if you want to succeed at a school like SGU, you should come in with stats that are competitive for at least some DO programs. I think if you have that type of accomplishment already, you can make it through SGU's basic sciences program and STEP assuming you do all the work. The students that are getting placed into the Foundations program have both weak GPA's and MCAT's and that is a big red flag IMO. So don't get excited with any pre-matriculation offers.

I'm with Skip on this one.

The schools most worth considering are SGU, Ross, and AUC.

Because Ross is in the middle of a crisis with hurricane damage, I probably wouldn't recommend it. Although it might turn out fine, especially if they get to stay in TN for awhile -- then there's no time out of the US.

Saba I don't know enough about to say anything.

AUA and MUA are tier two.

Everything else is a mess, would avoid.

My 2 cents. But what do I know?

Lots of Saba experience. Good quality experience, rotations available in Canada, which is a plus for the largely Canadian students there.

Lots of Saba experience. Good quality experience, rotations available in Canada, which is a plus for the largely Canadian students there.

They grossly over sell their Canadian ties. Saba students can only do elective clerkships in Canada and only for a limited number of weeks. Saba does not have any agreements with any hospital Canada. They advertise themselves as being the Canadian Caribbean school, but there is nothing special about Saba that the other schools don't have.

I did MERP and passed with an 85% average. The program director told me that the pass rate is usually around 64%. That's still not great, but who cares? Be part of that 64%. I proved myself in MERP and you can too.

I did MERP and passed with an 85% average. The program director told me that the pass rate is usually around 64%. That's still not great, but who cares? Be part of that 64%. I proved myself in MERP and you can too.
Thanks for the supportive message! If MERP if what I get I’d do it

Good job.:) Happy you made it even though you got some negative responses.Applying for September 18 class.Hope for better.How do you like there so far?You can PM me if you would like to.I would be happy to talk.

Good job.:) Happy you made it even though you got some negative responses.Applying for September 18 class.Hope for better.How do you like there so far?You can PM me if you would like to.I would be happy to talk.
Ha e you started applying for 2018? I currently am

Just got an interview for September 2018 entrance, any advice on what the interview is like? Thank you!

Just got an interview for September 2018 entrance, any advice on what the interview is like? Thank you!
Ill tell you how my interview went.
As I got to the door, a woman was standing there with a stethoscope. She wanted to check my pulse. A pulse is very important. Yeah I was kinda tachycardic because I was nervous for the interview and everything, but she just shrugged it off. When I went in, I saw a computer screen, which asked me to enter my name, address, social security #. I realized... it was making a credit report! Turns out I have good credit. After that, I was told I had been admitted to AUC. Its that simple.

Im joking. Its a basic interview. They ask you about your family, why medicine, clinical experience, any low grades/mcat. Know your application and why you want to do medicine and youll be solid. This is how my Ross interview went, but I doubt AUC is any different. No pulse/credit scores involved. ;)