Chances for CALIFORNIA md school? Illinois resident, 33 mcat(retake) 3.7 gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donovank730

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 26 and will graduate in the fall of 2015 from a school in illinois. I just got my second mcat score back and went from a 29 to a 33 so I am trying to gauge my chances for cali schools now that I am out of the D.O only range.

My wife is from California and I lived there for 2 years before transferring back to illinois where I am originally from to finish undergrad.

GPA will probably be about 3.7 by the time I graduate with a maybe a 3.8 sGPA.

I have maybe 50 shadowing hours with various doctors, I have 100 hours research so far but will be starting research at the University of Chicago later next month and doing alot within the next year before I apply.

I have been very active in church activities like tutoring children in low income areas and I have done a few mission trips to orphanages and such.

I suppose also worth mentioning is I was diagnosed with a severe auto immune issue 3 years ago and have worked to over come that. I plan on making that a cornerstone to my application as it has given me access to over 20 doctors from various specialties and shown me a view of medicine not many are afforded. It has increased my compassion for those who suffer more than I can ever say and really changed my view on things.

I plan on spending the next year beefing up my E.Cs and trying to make my application look better but based off my GPA and MCAT what are my realistic chances for a California MD school?

Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

I am 26 and will graduate in the fall of 2015 from a school in illinois. I just got my second mcat score back and went from a 29 to a 33 so I am trying to gauge my chances for cali schools now that I am out of the D.O only range.

My wife is from California and I lived there for 2 years before transferring back to illinois where I am originally from to finish undergrad.

GPA will probably be about 3.7 by the time I graduate with a maybe a 3.8 sGPA.

I have maybe 50 shadowing hours with various doctors, I have 100 hours research so far but will be starting research at the University of Chicago later next month and doing alot within the next year before I apply.

I have been very active in church activities like tutoring children in low income areas and I have done a few mission trips to orphanages and such.

I suppose also worth mentioning is I was diagnosed with a severe auto immune issue 3 years ago and have worked to over come that. I plan on making that a cornerstone to my application as it has given me access to over 20 doctors from various specialties and shown me a view of medicine not many are afforded. It has increased my compassion for those who suffer more than I can ever say and really changed my view on things.

I plan on spending the next year beefing up my E.Cs and trying to make my application look better but based off my GPA and MCAT what are my realistic chances for a California MD school?

Thanks everyone
Even with an outstanding application, a California acceptance can not be relied upon. About 2/3 of successful resident Cali applicants matriculate OOS. Your chances at an Illinois school are far better.

You didn't mention any active clinical experience (as opposed to passive shadowing). Please don't rely on your personal experiences to cover this expectation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am not relying on my personal experience, rather hoping it would be one thing to make me stand out in a sea of many. I am not putting all my eggs in the california basket but it is truly where I would love to go.

I guess time will tell, thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not relying on my personal experience, rather hoping it would be one thing to make me stand out in a sea of many. I am not putting all my eggs in the california basket but it is truly where I would love to go.

I guess time will tell, thanks.
The personal experience will only make you stand out insofar as your motivation to pursue medicine as a career (i.e. in your personal statement/secondary essays), and you should realise that most people have had some forms of experience with hospitals, either personally or through family members so your illness is unlikely to make you stand out. You should seek volunteer/work opportunities in a clinical setting to better your ECs.

Reactions: 1 users
Realistically you have a shot at the DO schools in California but other than that I think you would have some difficulty. You need more clinical hours and research and also your MCAT is kind of low for Cali schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for the advice, I plan on spending my gap half year doing exactly those things.

100% agree. If you're boning for MD in CA, then it's Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts). You'll have vastly better luck with Western and Touro-CA.

Realistically you have a shot at the DO schools in California but other than that I think you would have some difficulty. You need more clinical hours and research and also your MCAT is kind of low for Cali schools.