Chances for California Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorCopper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not a science major, but these are the prerequsisites I have, or will have, completed by application:

1 yr General Chemistry; 1 yr Organic Chemistry; 1 yr Biology; 1 yr Physics; 1 semester biochem; 1 class statistics; 1 semester Calculus

I am planning on applying to California schools (Davis, UCSF, Stanford, UCSD, Irvine). I currently have a 4.0 gpa, plan on ending with a 3.7+. Going to take MCAT in the summer. Let's just say I do a little bit better than average.

I am an EMT, and will be working for a hospital as a tech in the next couple of months.

I've been working for a health club for 2 years and an elementary/junior high school for 3 years.

What do you think my chances are for these schools? --->Davis, UCSF, Stanford, UCSD, Irvine

Members don't see this ad.

Don't plan on 3.7...keep aiming for 4.0. For schools like UCSD/UCLA/UCSF you need top notch scores, especially UCSD. Aim for 32+ on MCATs, with no section score less than 10. You have good clinical experience as a EMT. The club is ok, but it matters very little unless you hold some leadership position. Do some research as well. Also california schools really like applicants that have a tremendous amount of volunteer work or some humantarian experience (studying abroad, working at a free clinic....). Aside from that u seem like ur in good shape.

Don't plan on 3.7...keep aiming for 4.0. For schools like UCSD/UCLA/UCSF you need top notch scores, especially UCSD. Aim for 32+ on MCATs, with no section score less than 10. You have good clinical experience as a EMT. The club is ok, but it matters very little unless you hold some leadership position. Do some research as well. Also california schools really like applicants that have a tremendous amount of volunteer work or some humantarian experience (studying abroad, working at a free clinic....). Aside from that u seem like ur in good shape.

Thank you for the reply. I will keep my gpa as close to a 4.0 as possible. I don't think it will decrease much.

My job description at the health club is actually Service Team Lead. Essentially, I am a shift manager and manage the service team as well as other departments when no manager is present.

For the volunteer work: Since I will be working at a hospital, would volunteering at the elementary/junior high school as an aide/tutor be sufficient enough? Or should I look for volunteer positions at clinics?

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteering in general is good, but I believe they are looking for volunteer work with disadvantaged or underserved populations. SO if you are in a underserved clinic (free clinics for people who are don't qualify for medicare/medicaid) or if you teach students who are disadvantaged...thats an added bonus. I don't want you to do things just to cater to California schools, because you should honestly do what you like doing. But this is generally the type of stuff many medical schools like.

Volunteering in general is good, but I believe they are looking for volunteer work with disadvantaged or underserved populations. SO if you are in a underserved clinic (free clinics for people who are don't qualify for medicare/medicaid) or if you teach students who are disadvantaged...thats an added bonus. I don't want you to do things just to cater to California schools, because you should honestly do what you like doing. But this is generally the type of stuff many medical schools like.

Thank you for the information. I am going to look into working at free clinics.

Does anyone else have an opinion about my stats? Any suggestions?

Thank you