Chances for Chicago Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgitms786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Chicago resident, what are my chaces of getting into: Stritch school of medicine, rush, rosalind franklin, midwestern (I guess in case I don't get into MD) and northwestern.

By the time I apply:

BCBM GPA: 3.517
Non-science: 3.93
cGPA: 3.693

Haven't taken the MCAT yet, but plan on shooting for 30+

Extra Curricular:
EMT-B, volunteer at free clinic taking vitals, history, etc (50 hrs by the time I apply)
Shadowing at a clinic (50 hrs)
Volunteering at Nursing home (50 hrs)
AMSA local & National
Other various community service work through school and by self

The thing is, I haven't had any sort of research experience. Also, should I try to shadow more? And for shadowing, how long am I suppose to shadow one physician, or is it better to have a variety of different physicians?

Advice to become a stronger applicant? Any help is appreciated!

P.S. If I take the MCAT in June, will I be at a disatvantage? Because I know the earlier you apply, the more beneficial it is because of rolling admissions. So what would be the difference if I took it in May vs. June?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Chicago resident, what are my chaces of getting into: Stritch school of medicine, rush, rosalind franklin, midwestern (I guess in case I don't get into MD) and northwestern.

By the time I apply:

BCBM GPA: 3.517
Non-science: 3.93
cGPA: 3.693

Haven't taken the MCAT yet, but plan on shooting for 30+

Extra Curricular:
EMT-B, volunteer at free clinic taking vitals, history, etc (50 hrs by the time I apply)
Shadowing at a clinic (50 hrs)
Volunteering at Nursing home (50 hrs)
AMSA local & National
Other various community service work through school and by self

The thing is, I haven't had any sort of research experience. Also, should I try to shadow more? And for shadowing, how long am I suppose to shadow one physician, or is it better to have a variety of different physicians?

Advice to become a stronger applicant? Any help is appreciated!

P.S. If I take the MCAT in June, will I be at a disatvantage? Because I know the earlier you apply, the more beneficial it is because of rolling admissions. So what would be the difference if I took it in May vs. June?
Without an MCAT score, it's difficult to make an accurate prediction, however with your below the average for acceptees BCPM GPA, no research, and no substantive leadership, I'd suggest you not count heavily on Northwestern coming through for you. Loyola seems less likely without sustained, committed service to the poor.

By the time you apply, your clinical experience will still be below the average of 150 hours over 1.5 years.

Your shadowing hours are fine; hopefully this includes a primary care doc. It's fine to stick with one physician or to broaden your experience by shadowing multiple specialties. There's no one right way to do this.

For a stronger application:
Beef up your BCPM GPA more than you project.
Take on a leadership role. Teaching also strengthens an application.
Get involved in regular (weekly) nonmedical community service through an organization you care about (perhaps you're doing this already, but your description is vague).
Try research, even if only for a semester or a summer.
Plan to include a listing for leisuretime activities, sports, and artistic endeavors.
Give consideration to waiting a year before you apply so you can beef up your application. This could make the difference between maybe getting an acceptance somewhere, and getting acceptances at schools you'd love to attend.

AMCAS doesn't transmit your application to schools until mid-June at the earliest. If you submit your application (to one MD school only, until you know how competitive you are) in early June to get the transcripts verified and your MCAT score arrives between mid-June to end-July, your application will not be disadvantaged. Of course, this is risky if you are not destined to get an MCAT that MD schools consider competitive, in which case, you wasted the ~$160+ application fee for that one school. If your score is good, you add more schools, and all of them get the entire application within a business day.

AACOMAS (DO) schools start their application season around the same time, but run later into the following year. You would not be disadvantaged there at all with the time frame you outline.

Thank you so much for your advice, I completely agree. If I wait one year, my cGPA will be 3.76, and my BCPM GPA will be 3.59. I would not be rushed for the MCAT, and could fit in more community service plus volunteer hours.

That would put me at a better chance at the schools I really want to get into vs. what I will have to settle with.

Thanks again, I think I know what I have to do now.