DO Chances for D.O program 498 MCAT 3.64 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kendal1718

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
3.64 GPA, 3.5 science with many upper level science courses
498 MCAT (45th percentile)- Chem and Physical- 124
Critical Analysis- 125
Bio- 123
Psych and Soc- 126
(Have only taken the MCAT once)

I am a Michigan State graduate and a Michigan resident, but my parents are both Florida residents. I put my applications in yesterday, June 15th. Applying to MSUCOM, LECOM-Bradenton, ATSU-SOMA, VCOM (Carolinas and Auburn), KCU-COM, NOVA, PCOM, RVUCOM, ATSU-Kirksville, UIWSOM. I am wondering if this is a good list/if I have a shot at any of these schools or if I should apply to others.

A little about me..
I am extremely passionate about Osteopathic Medicine and plan to only apply to D.O schools. I was vice president of Pre-SOMA (the only osteopathic club on campus) I have worked for 2 Osteopathic physicians as a Medical Assistant for the last 2 summers and am continuing this summer. I have about 750+ hours of experience working with them and patients learning to do history's, x-rays, draw blood, have watched many manipulations, and much much more. The physician I work for wrote me a letter of Rec. as well. I have 6 letters total.

Worked as a Crisis help line volunteer for a year and a half, helping callers through crises. We were trained to be able to council on topics of suicide, domestic and sexual violence, mental health etc.

Was part of founding a sorority on campus and was the founding philanthropy chair for Autism speaks.

did Research for ConAgra Foods Inc. while in school, was part of Global Medical Brigades and took a trip to Honduras to set up a free clinic for patients. I was also on Student Health Advisory Council which worked with MSU on health policies for students, and spread awareness to students about health issues and health services on campus.

Like I said I am very passionate about Osteopathic medicine and am hoping that shows in my application and personal statement a long with my letters or rec. Of course though, I am worried about my MCAT and am wondering if I have a chance. Please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You definitely need to apply to more schools with a MCAT of 498 (equivalent to 24 on old MCAT). Consider these schools where your MCAT is close to the median:
ARCOM (new school)
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
RVU-Utah (new school)
NYIT-Arkansas (new school)
MU-COM

Reactions: 1 user
Autoreject at my school. I suggest holding off until you retake.

Hi everyone!
3.64 GPA, 3.5 science with many upper level science courses
498 MCAT (45th percentile)- Chem and Physical- 124
Critical Analysis- 125
Bio- 123
Psych and Soc- 126
(Have only taken the MCAT once)

I am a Michigan State graduate and a Michigan resident, but my parents are both Florida residents. I put my applications in yesterday, June 15th. Applying to MSUCOM, LECOM-Bradenton, ATSU-SOMA, VCOM (Carolinas and Auburn), KCU-COM, NOVA, PCOM, RVUCOM, ATSU-Kirksville, UIWSOM. I am wondering if this is a good list/if I have a shot at any of these schools or if I should apply to others.

A little about me..
I am extremely passionate about Osteopathic Medicine and plan to only apply to D.O schools. I was vice president of Pre-SOMA (the only osteopathic club on campus) I have worked for 2 Osteopathic physicians as a Medical Assistant for the last 2 summers and am continuing this summer. I have about 750+ hours of experience working with them and patients learning to do history's, x-rays, draw blood, have watched many manipulations, and much much more. The physician I work for wrote me a letter of Rec. as well. I have 6 letters total.

Worked as a Crisis help line volunteer for a year and a half, helping callers through crises. We were trained to be able to council on topics of suicide, domestic and sexual violence, mental health etc.

Was part of founding a sorority on campus and was the founding philanthropy chair for Autism speaks.

did Research for ConAgra Foods Inc. while in school, was part of Global Medical Brigades and took a trip to Honduras to set up a free clinic for patients. I was also on Student Health Advisory Council which worked with MSU on health policies for students, and spread awareness to students about health issues and health services on campus.

Like I said I am very passionate about Osteopathic medicine and am hoping that shows in my application and personal statement a long with my letters or rec. Of course though, I am worried about my MCAT and am wondering if I have a chance. Please let me know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Autoreject at my school. I suggest holding off until you retake.
shoot, that is what I was worried about. Thank you for letting me know! I have seen you post on other student's questions with lower GPAs and the same MCAT saying they have a shot at some DO schools. Do you think I would have a shot anywhere? Should I put on my application that I plan to retake?

See Faha's list. I can't recommend LUCOM.

shoot, that is what I was worried about. Thank you for letting me know! I have seen you post on other student's questions with lower GPAs and the same MCAT saying they have a shot at some DO schools. Do you think I would have a shot anywhere? Should I put on my application that I plan to retake?