Chances for Dental Anesthesiology Match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

partyenamel33

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm a D4 thinking of applying to dental anesthesiology this cycle. Would love some feedback on my stats and my chances to match:
GPA: 3.88
Class rank: 19/69 (it might bump up one or two since I'm anticipating a 4.0 this semester)
Some experience with research and won an award for my case report
TA for 3 courses. Peer tutor, and shadowed the MD anesthesiologists who work for the pediatric department at the school a few times
Planning to do a few externships in the next few months before applications open
Also planning to take the CBSE this July

I think the MATCH process for DA is getting more and more competitive every year. Please let me know your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey party enamel, congrats on your scores. I ama D2 whos also interested in DA and wanted to know if you got any advice. How did you study the CBSE and for how long? is the exam officially mandatory

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I’m also currently studying for the July CBSE to apply for anesthesia.. I know a lot of people who underestimate this test.. just beware because it is a beast of a test. Everyone I’ve talked to has said you need at least 6 months of solid studying to do well.

From what I’ve heard as well your externships are extremely important. Most schools won’t offer you an interview if you haven’t externed there.

Your stats are amazing and think that would make you competitive. Now I think it’s more about clicking with the program directors and residents during externships and interviews.

Good luck applying!

Hey party enamel, congrats on your scores. I ama D2 whos also interested in DA and wanted to know if you got any advice. How did you study the CBSE and for how long? is the exam officially mandatory
Yes it is required

Why does this specialty exist? Do DA use techniques or procedures that other anesthesia providers cannot? Is DA a watered down version of other more established residencies (ie. MD anesthesia).

Reactions: 1 user
Why does this specialty exist? Do DA use techniques or procedures that other anesthesia providers cannot? Is DA a watered down version of other more established residencies (ie. MD anesthesia).
Lol…

DA is focused more on ambulatory anesthesia. An MD focuses on the OR, plus they do things like pain management as well. Both can do nasal intubations. But the DA is really more focused on dental patients, pediatric, special needs, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi do you have more experience looking into the cultures at different residencies? By the end of dental school im at a point where I wanted to continue DA but with as much of a balanced lifestyle as possible? Did you look into the programs? Any insight?

Those are very competitive numbers but as I understand there aren't that many dental anesthesia programs (<10 right?) so it might be competitive in that sense. I would definitely do site visits to your top programs to connect with program directors.

Those are very competitive numbers but as I understand there aren't that many dental anesthesia programs (<10 right?) so it might be competitive in that sense. I would definitely do site visits to your top programs to connect with program directors.
I second the idea of visiting the programs and connecting with the directors. Good to get a feel for the program, meet the residents and hopefully make a good impression.

As a DA, with how few there are in certain states, you can certainly have a good market share. Pediatric dentists especially those without good OR access rely on DAs for office-based anesthesia for the younger kiddos.