Chances for DO? MCAT 31 cGPA 3.44 sGPA 3.34

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

llamasarefuzzy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm applying to both MD and DO programs this year, and I'm really excited about the DO curriculum. I'm currently completing a master's in exercise physiology, and I think the two would work really nicely together. I'm working on finalizing my list, and wanted to check if I was missing any glaring schools, and if you guys think I should apply to more/where.

MCAT 31
Undergrad GPA: cGPA 3.45, sGPA 3.2-- from a top 15 university
Graduate GPA: c/sGPA 3.51 (only taken science classes)
Iowa resident
1000+ hours of clinical research and several publications
About 100 hours of shadowing in various fields
Tutoring underprivileged kids in science
Graduate TA in physiology
MCAT tutor
Nationally ranked ballroom dancer
URM

I'm currently applying to MD programs as well as
DMU
LECOM
Rocky Vista
MSU
Midwestern

Should I apply to additional schools to maximize acceptance chances? Are some of these schools not worthwhile for out of staters (MSU, I'm looking at you--- although my sister lives in Michigan, so I do have Michigan ties) etc.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine. Should get ii at most do's you apply to

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why all the hate towards LECOM? Is it super hard to get into? Very region-specific?
With OP's stats he/she can get into much better schools. To my knowledge it's not difficult to get into nor region specific, and if that's the only acceptance you get then run with it. There are just so many better programs out there without all the BS.

Reactions: 2 users
Apply to Touro CA and Touro NY if you like either of those locations -- both have slightly over 30 MCAT avgs and place a lot of weight on the score.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys. Lecom is on the list because if I'm not mistaken, tuition is much lower than other do schools

Yea just really look what you are getting in to with LECOM. You get what you pay for...

Logistically its really important to ask yourself if PBL is for you. This isn't any kind of SDN bias, this is a very legit thing to think about. Are you cool paying tuition to teach yourself, or do you enjoy the normal med school atmosphere with lectures etc.

Then if you want to look deeper, look into some of the very large complaints about the administration running that place. There has been an awful lot of trouble that has been swept under the rug over the last few years. Also be aware of what the Ferrettis (can't remember how to spell it) stand for, they run that ship and they are staunch anti-GME merger supporters. I don't know how this will play into how their schools run and how rotations go in the future... Just some stuff to think about.

With your stats you can get in anywhere. That doesn't mean you need to pay top dollar at like MSU or CCOM but there are some definite middle ground schools between LECOM and CCOM.
Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Yea just really look what you are getting in to with LECOM. You get what you pay for...

Logistically its really important to ask yourself if PBL is for you. This isn't any kind of SDN bias, this is a very legit thing to think about. Are you cool paying tuition to teach yourself, or do you enjoy the normal med school atmosphere with lectures etc.

2 quick thoughts:
First, this is what I hear from most schools anyway. Lectures are always hit and miss and my school. You'll spend most of your time learning from outside resources while memorizing random fun-facts on lecture slides to get that 'P' or 'H' on your transcript. The difference in grade is how good of a rote memorizer you are.

Secondly, unless LECOM changed since last year, the majority of its students are in the Lecture pathway, not PBL. LECOM does not always equal PBL.

In general, LECOM has a bad rep on here. It's hard to say if it's all true--I interviewed and it seemed just fine. Current students at their interview luncheon had the general complaints of every student everywhere. "I spend all day in lecture and don't learn anything. Then we're tested on stupid minutiae. Oh, but they have an awesome fitness center!" Definitely not unique to LECOM. Either this is a toxic program...or the school just had a rash of bad apples that liked to vent on SDN...you decide.

To the OP,

Your MCAT is well above avg matriculant for any DO program. Your GPA is below avg but still well above minimum. If you're an Iowa res you should have no problem getting into DMU if they think you're a decent human being in your interview. They have a great program with a good price. I got accepted (but declined) there w/ lower stats.

Then if you want to look deeper, look into some of the very large complaints about the administration running that place. There has been an awful lot of trouble that has been swept under the rug over the last few years. Also be aware of what the Ferrettis (can't remember how to spell it) stand for, they run that ship and they are staunch anti-GME merger supporters. I don't know how this will play into how their schools run and how rotations go in the future... Just some stuff to think about.

With your stats you can get in anywhere. That doesn't mean you need to pay top dollar at like MSU or CCOM but there are some definite middle ground schools between LECOM and CCOM.
What's PBL?

My school does case-based learning where we sit in a room and work through cases. There are typically readings assigned as prework that nobody does. So we all show up and make inaccurate assumptions and arguments based off our misconceptions about the given pathology. After this charade, a clinician comes in and lectures the entire class on what we should have learned but didn't. So the long and short of it is, we get nothing out of our small-group discussions and are basically taught by lecture format, which I believe is the most efficient way of giving us the need to know information for us to base our studying on as we please.

What community do you represent?
URM

U IA is definitely worth a shot, as is Creighton. Loyola, Rush, SLU, MCW and other schools nearby.
I'm currently applying to MD programs as well as
DMU
LECOM
Rocky Vista
MSU
Midwestern

Having a sibling in a state won't help...having lived in a state helps. I'm not a fan of this "ties" business. Stick with schools where you have a realistic chance. But yes, definitely add some more schools. You're fine for any DO program. If you wish to stay in the midwest, try MSUCOM. MUCOM, KCUMB, LMU-DeBusk, and AT Still.

Should I apply to additional schools to maximize acceptance chances? Are some of these schools not worthwhile for out of staters (MSU, I'm looking at you--- although my sister lives in Michigan, so I do have Michigan ties) etc.

Thanks everybody for your opinions! I didn't realize that there was so much controversy over LECOM- it definitely encouraged me to do some more research to make sure that the school is a good fit.
Goro- I really appreciate the extras list! Indeed, many of those MD programs are also on my list (applying to too many of those already lol) but KCUMB and LMU-DeBusk and AT Still will definitely be getting a second look before I submit my application

I went to LECOM Bradenton and my significant other went there two years later. I have to say that there is a big different between the different LECOMs. LECOM Bradenton is located in one of the most beautiful areas of the country with tons to do...LECOM Erie has the opposite. There are tons of issues with management at LECOM Erie...but the truth is that LECOM Erie is self-sufficient. We heard about the issue at Erie but weren't affected by them.

The first two years at LECOM Bradenton are TOP NOTCH. I loved PBL and those who also bought in to PBL also thought that they had an excellent experience.
The clinical years have their pluses and minuses.
Plus- multiple rotation affiliates with a huge variety of residency programs. You will get the opportunity to go to many different programs to get a taste of what you like...on core rotations. If you are stuck to a single hospital system, it may be more structured, but you will miss out on learning differences between hospital systems...and you better hope you like your single affiliate, because otherwise you will hate life.

Negatives- The rotations in Florida are not as established, so many grads go to PA/NY for residency. The clinic education Dean can be testy. I honestly loved him. He was just. He put stupid people in their place and helped out those who didn't feel entitled. Therein lies the problem...many medical students are entitled so many did not like him.

The numbers speak for themself though. LECOM Grads rock the COMLEX and most rock the USMLE. They get lots of opportunity for audition rotations due to rotating at many different core sites. I do believe that PBL gives students an advantage, especially in 3rd year when many audition rotations occur. LECOM Bradenton grads get into great residencies due to rotations and excellent board scores.

I would recommend LECOM Bradenton to anyone except for: 1) Those with intrapersonal issues (would be a PBL disaster) 2) Those who learn best by powerpoint 3) Those who want to be handed everything (would struggle significantly 3rd and 4th years) 4) Those who have no desire to travel in medical school 5) Those who believe that the beautiful Sarasota area (and its beautiful people) would be a distraction