Chances for DO School? I need some advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future Dr Kwon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm applying to DO schools this summer. Here are my stats:

Overall 3.5
Science 3.6 (after re-taking organic chemistry - I replaced my old O chem grades with my new ones; before replacement, my science GPA = 3.5).

Just took the MCAT, so I don't know what I got... Hoping for a 30.

Extracurricular:
Volunteering at a hospital (in the ER)
Shadowing a DO doctor
English tutor for foreign students
was a "DJ" for my school's radio station for over a year (just once a week though)
Part of a magazine for school (fashion magazine haha)

I'd really like your input. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

in my honest opinion, if you get a 30, you are solid for D.O schools. you might even have some love from some instate MD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be nice if you included the timeframe/number of hours for your ECs and whether the tutoring was paid or volunteer (if you want input).

Tutoring was unpaid... did it for about 6 months during my last year at UCSD

Shadowing DO doctor ... I'm still shadowing and will be for a while (if he allows it). So far, I've shadowed him for about 20 hours. I'm hoping to get up to at least 100.

Volunteering at a hospital... since November 2010.

Thanks guys!!!!! I really appreciate any responses :)

The average applicant llists about 1.5 years of clinical experience on their application, so I suggest you continue the hospital volunteering through the application year. Average shadowing listed is about 50 hours. Hopefully you'll get at least that before pushing the submit button (it's fine to get thin in rapidly). Having the tutoring as a community service is good, especially since teaching experience is also highly regarded. And the longevity of being a DJ is good to see.

Continuing to engage in as many of these activities as possible has the possibility of improving your chances further since you will send in update letters periodically to schools about them.

Are you not planning to engage in a research activity?

Since most of these activities are fairly short-term, be prepared for the possiblity that you may need a second application cycle before you are successful. Many adcomms will prefer to see evidence that you've considered medicine over a long enough period of time that it's clear the career choice wasn't impulsive.

The average applicant llists about 1.5 years of clinical experience on their application, so I suggest you continue the hospital volunteering through the application year. Average shadowing listed is about 50 hours. Hopefully you'll get at least that before pushing the submit button (it's fine to get thin in rapidly). Having the tutoring as a community service is good, especially since teaching experience is also highly regarded. And the longevity of being a DJ is good to see.

Continuing to engage in as many of these activities as possible has the possibility of improving your chances further since you will send in update letters periodically to schools about them.

Are you not planning to engage in a research activity?

Since most of these activities are fairly short-term, be prepared for the possiblity that you may need a second application cycle before you are successful. Many adcomms will prefer to see evidence that you've considered medicine over a long enough period of time that it's clear the career choice wasn't impulsive.

Okay, thanks for your input! I'm really really hoping to get in my first year of applying. I will be so sad if I don't get in my first try. I need to really show them that I have considered medicine for a long time in my personal statement! Great advice, thank you!