Chances for DO schools low gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope_I_Get_In_My_Dream

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I can honestly say I am very nervous even if I should apply for this cycle. Well, my stats are as follows. I consider myself not competitive. Do any of you recommend other health professions like Podiatry? Still, I really want to pursue a career in family medicine as a DO doctor.

-Low gpa: 3.1 gpa overall and 3.0 science gpa (My gpa suffered the most in my first two years for the lack of not balancing my schedule but strong upward trend junior/ senior year with mostly A's after maturing and being more responsible).
-Mcat: decent 512
-Mexican (Hispanic first generation in college)
-Volunteer hours: over 1,200 hours
-Worked full time throughout college that limited research possibilities and other school activities which I really wanted to do.
-4 great recommendation letters from professors and volunteer organizations
-Physician shadowings: over 20 hours (love it!)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
3.1 cGPA and 512 MCAT here as well. Also messed up first 2 years. I got 10 interview invites from my 14 applications, going to my number one choice starting this year.

One difference between our applications though is I had a 3.7 sGPA. You have way more volunteering than me, though I definitely had a lot of diverse activities. Hopefully you got some more stuff on there that you just aren't listing. I also and just white bread, and not first generation, so you'll have that in your favor as well. I almost didn't apply last cycle because I was super nervous about not getting in. Go for it. Getting some more shadowing, write an incredible personal statement and I'll be surprised if you don't get in somewhere, assuming you you apply broadly and have a few more experiences on your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
100% apply. If you do Lizzy M or check AAMC, you have a 49% chance getting accepted to a MD school. So you will definitely get interviews at several DO schools and/or MD schools if you choose that path. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Definitely apply. Should get some interviews if you produce strong application documents :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone, I'm sorry to steal OP's thread but I'm also in a similar dilemma.

I'll be graduating UCSD later this year, but my current stats are: 2.9 sGPA and 3.1 cGPA, I'm not sure if the sGPA will go up after graduation. I haven't taken the MCAT yet. Prior volunteer experience (>100 hrs) but this was 4-5 years ago. I currently volunteer in a research lab at our school, thinking of applying for a MS degree--but I am unsure of this route.

I have applied to the UC Consortium post-bacc program, but did not get accepted this cycle. I am planning to apply to the UCSD post-bacc program, but I have doubts of getting in.

I have not ever shadowed a doctor, or have medical assistant/medical scribe experience.

Should I give up pursuing DO/MD journey? Should I enroll in a community college after graduation, take pre-requisites for Nursing or PA school, and become an RN or PA?

I feel very lost in life, I'm not sure what my purpose is.

Thank you kindly,
Rose

Hello everyone, I'm sorry to steal OP's thread but I'm also in a similar dilemma.

I'll be graduating UCSD later this year, but my current stats are: 2.9 sGPA and 3.1 cGPA, I'm not sure if the sGPA will go up after graduation. I haven't taken the MCAT yet. Prior volunteer experience (>100 hrs) but this was 4-5 years ago. I currently volunteer in a research lab at our school, thinking of applying for a MS degree--but I am unsure of this route.

I have applied to the UC Consortium post-bacc program, but did not get accepted this cycle. I am planning to apply to the UCSD post-bacc program, but I have doubts of getting in.

I have not ever shadowed a doctor, or have medical assistant/medical scribe experience.

Should I give up pursuing DO/MD journey? Should I enroll in a community college after graduation, take pre-requisites for Nursing or PA school, and become an RN or PA?

I feel very lost in life, I'm not sure what my purpose is.

Thank you kindly,
Rose

I'll just throw out my experience and you can take it how you'd like. I graduated college with a 3.14 GPA, realizing medicine may not be plausible for myself. For the first 6 months after graduation, I traveled by myself around the US, trying to find my purpose. Finally found my purpose, determined what steps I needed to take to become a doctor, and went from there. I did a 2 year masters program (to boost the GPA, got a 3.9), 1 year of extra research at the NIH, retook MCAT, and now into school. Once you find your passion and purpose, your dedication and mindset changes. Never give up, never give in. Good luck and all the best.

Reactions: 3 users
.1 point higher gpa, 1 point less mcat. Applied ~30 DO schools. ~9 II’s, and an acceptance.

Hi guys,

I'm currently a Canadian 4th year nursing student with a 3.0-3.2 GPA, I'm going to rewrite my mcat this year(my first score was really bad) and I also have to do my prereqs in order to apply to DO/MD schools and I am also open to Caribbean and Ireland schools. I'm really nervous and scared about it because there's a lot involved. I just wanna know if I still have a chance at medical school , I have over 400 hours of experience on floors (because of nursing) and also 100 hours in research. I will also be shadowing doctors this summer.

Steer clear of Caribbean school at all costs.

You still have shot at DO schools if you manage to close out your undergraduate career with a strong upwards trend and score above 500 on the MCAT.

Steer clear of Caribbean school at all costs.

You still have shot at DO schools if you manage to close out your undergraduate career with a strong upwards trend and score above 500 on the MCAT.

Yeah my second year and third year had a really bad drop due to mental health and family issues. But I can definitely close out this year with a near perfect GPA. I am also considering Ireland medical schools and their courses. Are there any general prerequisites I can take to maximize my applications to DO schools the year after?

Yeah my second year and third year had a really bad drop due to mental health and family issues. But I can definitely close out this year with a near perfect GPA. I am also considering Ireland medical schools and their courses. Are there any general prerequisites I can take to maximize my applications to DO schools the year after?

I was in a similar position not too long ago (minus being a nursing student). If possible, I recommend taking an entire semester (or two if you have time) of upper-level science courses that are similar to ones that are offered in medical school, for example genetics, immunology, endocrinology, etc. Not only would it boost your cGPA/sGPA, it will also show adcoms that you can handle a medical school course load.

I was in a similar position not too long ago (minus being a nursing student). If possible, I recommend taking an entire semester (or two if you have time) of upper-level science courses that are similar to ones that are offered in medical school, for example genetics, immunology, endocrinology, etc. Not only would it boost your cGPA/sGPA, it will also show adcoms that you can handle a medical school course load.
Ahh great , I have anatomy and physiology courses! Also pharmacology, microbiology and advanced pathophysiology as well! If they count?

Nice! Those courses definitely count. Keep it up and you'll be swimming in II's in no time.

Nice! Those courses definitely count. Keep it up and you'll be swimming in II's in no time.

Thanks so much, didn't even consider that those courses counted! I plan on taking Bio 1 and 2 , Orgo 1 and 2 , Physics 1 and 2 and gen chem 2 next year for the prereqs. Do you think they make up most of the application requirements for most DO/MD schools?

Thanks so much, didn't even consider that those courses counted! I plan on taking Bio 1 and 2 , Orgo 1 and 2 , Physics 1 and 2 and gen chem 2 next year for the prereqs. Do you think they make up most of the application requirements for most DO/MD schools?

You're welcome. Yes that satisfies most DO pre-requisites, and keep in mind that those courses must have a lab component in order to satisfy the requirement. There are some DO schools that require biochemistry and a behavioral science course.

I can't speak for MD schools because I don't have experience applying to them.

Edit: grammar

Last edited: