Chances for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medshoes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm wondering what my chances are at DO. I am a junior right now. I might take a gap year to raise my GPA, actually I probably will, but would I get in any right now? If I apply to DO schools, which DO schools would I be competitive for, and what kind of DO experience do I need? I'm a little against going into primary care though because I want to be a cardiologist though I definitely want to be a doctor so can't afford to be picky.

Major: Chemistry/biology
cGPA: 3.2
sGPA: 3.1
MCAT - 30 (10/10/10)

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply broadly and you'll be fine. I think the GPA is too low for CCOM, RVU, NYITCOM, and DMU

Hi guys,

I'm wondering what my chances are at DO. I am a junior right now. I might take a gap year to raise my GPA, actually I probably will, but would I get in any right now? If I apply to DO schools, which DO schools would I be competitive for, and what kind of DO experience do I need? I'm a little against going into primary care though because I want to be a cardiologist though I definitely want to be a doctor so can't afford to be picky.

MCAT - 30 (10/10/10)

Is my MCAT okay? I wish it was higher, but I don't want to retake it b/c it's the new one now, and I might do worse. The reason my GPA is so low is that during college, my dad was diagnosed with cancer and my grandmother also died, and it was really stressful b/c I was far away from home as well and didn't have anyone to really talk to at school (had no social life) and I actually had to take a leave of absence b/c of my grades falling and b/c my parents had financial issues and couldn't pay tuition. My gpa freshman year was a 3.75, went down to a 2.7, and now it's 3.2.... I got a bunch of Cs but I was advised not to retake courses by my advisor. If I get straight A's or A-/s, I can probably get a 3.4 or 3.5 gpa.

My extracurriculars are:
300 hours volunteering at a hospital (ER, eye clinic, patient visits), a nursing home (patient visits), an eye hospital (preparing beds and taking of patients) and a free clinic (taking vitals)
100 hours shadowing a director of cardiology fellowship on patient rounds, and rotating around the hospital shadowing CT surgeon, neurosurgeon, cardiologists in CCU, also shadowed an eye plastic surgeon and radiologist
America Reads tutor for two years
President of a global health club fundraising money for eye surgeries in Ghana for two years
outreach chair, public relations chair, secretary of biology club
2 years doing clinical research in cardiology - 1 paper getting published as 10th author, another as 5th author
1 summer doing clinical research in Emergency medicine - no papers
Nanoparticle research started in January - planning to spend 2 years on this
Breast cancer research for 1/2 year (left b/c I was not satisfied, and professor was moving to another city)
Staying this summer to do stem cell research, hopefully I'll get a grant, in process of applying for one.
Summer internship last summer in a hospital doing clinical research in gastroenterology - abstract coming out this summer and paper after that
Working as a personal assistant to a doctor (should I mention this on AMCAS apps? I made a lot of money but it' s not resume worthy I just transcribed emails and wrote manuscripts that were dictated by a japanese doctor who didn't know how to use the computer)
Library aide at school library
Administrative aide at a laboratory and at an adoption center
some honors like dean's list and awards like poetry contest finalist.
LORs- i can get one from the chairman doctor I worked for, this person I did clinical research for, a PI
I haven't talked to professors that much but i might get one from my chinese teacher, my physics teacher, and another I haven't figured out yet.

Personal statement - writing about my dad's cancer diagnosis, reasons of my bad grades, how I grew stronger by training for 5Ks and marathons and how that's similar to the path of being a doctor, some time I was volunteering in the CCU and saw a father with cardiac arrest - made connection to my dad. too much?

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

MCAT - 30 (10/10/10)

Is my MCAT okay? I wish it was higher, but I don't want to retake it b/c it's the new one now, and I might do worse. The reason my GPA is so low is that during college, my dad was diagnosed with cancer and my grandmother also died, and it was really stressful b/c I was far away from home as well and didn't have anyone to really talk to at school (had no social life) and I actually had to take a leave of absence b/c of my grades falling and b/c my parents had financial issues and couldn't pay tuition. My gpa freshman year was a 3.75, went down to a 2.7, and now it's 3.2.... I got a bunch of Cs but I was advised not to retake courses by my advisor. If I get straight A's or A-/s, I can probably get a 3.4 or 3.5 gpa.

My extracurriculars are:
300 hours volunteering at a hospital (ER, eye clinic, patient visits), a nursing home (patient visits), an eye hospital (preparing beds and taking of patients) and a free clinic (taking vitals)
100 hours shadowing a director of cardiology fellowship on patient rounds, and rotating around the hospital shadowing CT surgeon, neurosurgeon, cardiologists in CCU, also shadowed an eye plastic surgeon and radiologist
America Reads tutor for two years
President of a global health club fundraising money for eye surgeries in Ghana for two years
outreach chair, public relations chair, secretary of biology club
2 years doing clinical research in cardiology - 1 paper getting published as 10th author, another as 5th author
1 summer doing clinical research in Emergency medicine - no papers
Nanoparticle research started in January - planning to spend 2 years on this
Breast cancer research for 1/2 year (left b/c I was not satisfied, and professor was moving to another city)
Staying this summer to do stem cell research, hopefully I'll get a grant, in process of applying for one.
Summer internship last summer in a hospital doing clinical research in gastroenterology - abstract coming out this summer and paper after that
Working as a personal assistant to a doctor (should I mention this on AMCAS apps? I made a lot of money but it' s not resume worthy I just transcribed emails and wrote manuscripts that were dictated by a japanese doctor who didn't know how to use the computer)
Library aide at school library
Administrative aide at a laboratory and at an adoption center
some honors like dean's list and awards like poetry contest finalist.
LORs- i can get one from the chairman doctor I worked for, this person I did clinical research for, a PI
I haven't talked to professors that much but i might get one from my chinese teacher, my physics teacher, and another I haven't figured out yet.

Personal statement - writing about my dad's cancer diagnosis, reasons of my bad grades, how I grew stronger by training for 5Ks and marathons and how that's similar to the path of being a doctor, some time I was volunteering in the CCU and saw a father with cardiac arrest - made connection to my dad. too much?

Thank you!

As @Goro has said, you should be good minus the schools he has listed. The other thing I wanted to add is that I would consult KCU's admissions about your GPA as well. This cycle they gave anyone below a 3.25 GPA the boot, maybe that will change next cycle but just ask to make sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake the courses and stamp your ticket

Just a note... many schools require grades of C or higher, so if any of your "C" grades are actually a "C-" you will have to retake. Otherwise, I agree that you will get in somewhere just fine with a 3.2/3.1/30.

Thanks guys for your feedback! I really appreciate it. I'm going to focus on improving my grades for now since I want to apply next year (I'm going to take a gap year). I have a question though, what was your reasoning for omitting CCOM, RVU, NYITCOM, and DMU @Goro because I live in NY and would like to go to NYITCOM. Would I apply to all the other DO schools, what are the new ones?
Thanks!

Thanks guys for your feedback! I really appreciate it. I'm going to focus on improving my grades for now since I want to apply next year (I'm going to take a gap year). I have a question though, what was your reasoning for omitting CCOM, RVU, NYITCOM, and DMU @Goro because I live in NY and would like to go to NYITCOM. Would I apply to all the other DO schools, what are the new ones?
Thanks!

He said GPA is too low.

Their average is around 3.5-3.6 or something I believe.

Try to get straight As to bring your GPA up and that will definitely help. But definitely apply this coming cycle.

The new ones that you should definitely apply to are ACOM (Alabama), MUCOM (Indiana), CUSOM (North Carolina), LUCOM (Virginia), PCOM (Georgia), Western (Oregon), WVSOM (West Virginia), and VCOM (Alabama).

Thanks! I have a question, do all DO schools require grades above C- in prereqs? I checked out some of the websites, and some of the schools didn't mention it, like Kansas, some schools like Michigan State need grades above C-? I'm wondering can I take upper level classes instead of retaking classes I got C- (two prereqs) to substitute for that grade since they didn't specify if the classes are prereqs, just have to be biology and chemistry.

Thanks! I have a question, do all DO schools require grades above C- in prereqs? I checked out some of the websites, and some of the schools didn't mention it, like Kansas, some schools like Michigan State need grades above C-? I'm wondering can I take upper level classes instead of retaking classes I got C- (two prereqs) to substitute for that grade since they didn't specify if the classes are prereqs, just have to be biology and chemistry.
I would ask admissions at any schools you're not sure about. It's not something you want to scramble to fix at the last minute!

I decided I'm going to retake courses after I graduate at my state schoool as an informal post bacc since someone told me that I can replace courses like that.

Guys, so I calculated my AMCAS GPA and it turned out higher than the GPA on my transcript. Is it because I'm on the quarter system? I'm confused as to why it's so much higher.

Last edited:
lol you know you need to go into primary care to do cardiology right?...

I had about the same gpa and a way lower MCAT and got into one of the schools @Goro told you to avoid.