Chances for FSU EDP 3.8c/3.63s/35 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaintSteezy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a biochemistry major with the above stats (excluding MCAT: I've been taking practice tests and scoring between 36-40 consistently). I'm writing the MCAT next summer and I intend to apply to FSU EDP.

I've shadowed for about six months, been involved with research for about 6 months-writing an honors thesis, been involved with a community based philanthropic group for about a year, volunteered at a youth center for 2 years, and I'm member of my school's honor college(active in the organization). I know that I need some medical volunteering experience and I intend to begin ASAP.

At present, would I be a good candidate for EDP; if not, what should I do to round out my application?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a biochemistry major with the above stats (excluding MCAT: I've been taking practice tests and scoring between 36-40 consistently). I'm writing the MCAT next summer and I intend to apply to FSU EDP.

I've shadowed for about six months, been involved with research for about 6 months-writing an honors thesis, been involved with a community based philanthropic group for about a year, volunteered at a youth center for 2 years, and I'm member of my school's honor college(active in the organization). I know that I need some medical volunteering experience and I intend to begin ASAP.

At present, would I be a good candidate for EDP; if not, what should I do to round out my application?
Numbers-wise, your stat projections seem to make you a decent candidate, but if you check FSU's mission statement, you'll see it includes preference for training those who respond to community needs, especially through service to elder, rural, and other medically under-served populations. I suggest some hands-on assistance to the poor in addition to the fundraising activity you mentioned, unless the Youth Center experience fulfills that mandate. Leadership is always helpful, too. And the active clinical experience you plan needs to start, like, yesterday.

Is your desire/need to stay in the geographic region of FSU so great that you'd turn down a full-ride to another school, if you were able to get a merit scholarship based on stats?

Numbers-wise, your stat projections seem to make you a decent candidate, but if you check FSU's mission statement, you'll see it includes preference for training those who respond to community needs, especially through service to elder, rural, and other medically under-served populations. I suggest some hands-on assistance to the poor in addition to the fundraising activity you mentioned, unless the Youth Center experience fulfills that mandate. Leadership is always helpful, too. And the active clinical experience you plan needs to start, like, yesterday.

Is your desire/need to stay in the geographic region of FSU so great that you'd turn down a full-ride to another school, if you were able to get a merit scholarship based on stats?

The physician I'm shadowing deals with indignant care and the youth center where I volunteer was specifically designed to provide after-school activities for a low-income area. In addition, I serve as a board member for a philanthropic group which serves the inner city. At the moment, I'm attempting to become CPR certified in order to gain clinical volunteering experience.

Honestly, with the ties I have to the region, I believe I'd stay here regardless of offers from other schools.

Thanks Catalystik!