Chances for Gen Surg residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docdoc14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just hoping for a little advice and insight as to my chances of matching into a gen surg residency next year.

USMLE Step I: 228 (I did push my 3rd year back 4 wks which will show as a LOA on my MSPE)
USMLE Step II: TBA
Clinical: Only on my third rotation as of now. Neuro was a HP, Surgery will realistically be a pass
Preclinical: all pass. Probably sitting in the 3rd quartile
Research/presentations/publications: 3 publications, one of which is a first author. 1 presentation.
LOR: 1 strong research letter, others TBA
EC's: I was Co-pres of the surgery interest group, women in surgery group, and co-pres/founder of the LGBT within medicine group at my school.

I know I'm not the most competitive applicant from a numbers standpoint. I'm curious if strong LOR's and honors in my Sub-I's will make a difference at this point, or if I should refocus my energy elsewhere. I'm not a diehard academic institution or bust person and geographic location isn't a huge issue for me either. Thanks for all the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, just hoping for a little advice and insight as to my chances of matching into a gen surg residency next year.

USMLE Step I: 228 (I did push my 3rd year back 4 wks which will show as a LOA on my MSPE)
USMLE Step II: TBA
Clinical: Only on my third rotation as of now. Neuro was a HP, Surgery will realistically be a pass
Preclinical: all pass. Probably sitting in the 3rd quartile
Research/presentations/publications: 3 publications, one of which is a first author. 1 presentation.
LOR: 1 strong research letter, others TBA
EC's: I was Co-pres of the surgery interest group, women in surgery group, and co-pres/founder of the LGBT within medicine group at my school.

I know I'm not the most competitive applicant from a numbers standpoint. I'm curious if strong LOR's and honors in my Sub-I's will make a difference at this point, or if I should refocus my energy elsewhere. I'm not a diehard academic institution or bust person and geographic location isn't a huge issue for me either. Thanks for all the advice!

WAMC threads are difficult to handle.

I think it's too early to truly gauge your chances. If you get good grades the rest of the year, do well on Step 2, and then get good LORs, you could certainly match in surgery from a US allopathic school (if that's where you are). The only real blemish is the interruption in training, so I'd make sure this is explained in your application and personal statement.

It's a no-brainer that working hard and performing well during the remainder of your 3rd year will help your chances.

Reactions: 1 users
WAMC threads are difficult to handle.

I think it's too early to truly gauge your chances. If you get good grades the rest of the year, do well on Step 2, and then get good LORs, you could certainly match in surgery from a US allopathic school (if that's where you are). The only real blemish is the interruption in training, so I'd make sure this is explained in your application and personal statement.

It's a no-brainer that working hard and performing well during the remainder of your 3rd year will help your chances.

Awesome, thanks for the advice! I am from a US allopathic school. As dumb as it is, that's really good to know about scores in my other clerkships making a difference. Thanks again!