Chances for General Surgery residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1Life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your input is much appreciated! Here are the facts!

1) Failed 3 classes in year 1 of med school and repeated first year due to personal circumstances that have now resolved. The changes I made have even helped me deal with worse circumstances in second year and on rotations.

2) passed all my year 2 classes and scored 220/95 on step I

3) I have no honors on rotations yet but I have two excellents on non-surgical rotations

4) I have no research or volunteering experience in med school so far.

5) I will have an excellent LOR from the chairman and the chief of general surgery at our program

I am in a state of uncertainty and confusion as to what my real chances are. Any advice is appreciated.

1Life :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

5) I will have an excellent LOR from the chairman and the chief of general surgery at our program

Excellent how? In my experience people drastically over estimate how good their letters will be. If you are going to have extremely strong letters, there is something else that you are missing. In general, high level LOR stem from producing something above and beyond in the hospital or research realm.

Matching gen surg with a 220 and all passes is very doable. Community programs are not that competitive from a numbers perspective and there are always academic programs that need spots filled. Follow the standard rules, apply wide and broad, interview as much as you can.

Thanks. I auditioned for my subI with the chairman and i worked hard. I was in the OR with him multiple times and the chief advocated for me in front of him in addition to me answering case oriented questions. I did my Surgery clerkship with the chief of gen surg and he is also my clinical advisor.