sulfonate

2+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2016
Average grades during preclinical. Got all HP's and 1 P during clinical. Got 1 H and 2 P's in my surgery electives. Currently taking a leave due to an untreated medical condition that affected my performance on the rotations that I had P's in. Is it still possible to match at a program or should I consider another specialty/field? What should I do to optimize my chances in matching?

Thanks for the input

ACSurgeon

Acute Care Surgeon
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Average grades during preclinical. Got all HP's and 1 P during clinical. Got 1 H and 2 P's in my surgery electives. Currently taking a leave due to an untreated medical condition that affected my performance on the rotations that I had P's in. Is it still possible to match at a program or should I consider another specialty/field? What should I do to optimize my chances in matching?

Thanks for the input
Step score (how is it relative to general surgery average?)

Research, connections?

Is this medical condition treatable or is this going to be a chronic problem with a lot of sick days and/or needs you to take some time off?

Reactions: lymphocyte
OP
S

sulfonate

2+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2016
Haven't taken my boards yet (planning on doing so during my time off). I have some research (2 abstracts, 1 publication). The medical condition is treatable and I am currently undergoing treatment. I was thinking about doing a bunch of aways and get good evals/LOR's

ACSurgeon

Acute Care Surgeon
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Haven't taken my boards yet (planning on doing so during my time off). I have some research (2 abstracts, 1 publication). The medical condition is treatable and I am currently undergoing treatment. I was thinking about doing a bunch of aways and get good evals/LOR's
US MD school?

OP
S

sulfonate

2+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2016
Any other opinions? I'm really lost right now with respect to career options

Jun 22, 2015
How have you not taken the boards yet? You seem to have finished third year and are in fourth year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Dr. Death

2+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2015
Look at charting outcomes. Seriously why do people make dumb threads like this where the answer is readily available

Donald Juan

7+ Year Member
May 22, 2011
GA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Now that we have more info: you are not really competitive at this point. If you're dead set on Gen Surg, I suggest you knock step 2 out of the park, do three sub-Is (one home, two aways) and impress the hell out of those people. Get more research on your CV if you can. Don't set your sights too high, you're not gonna match at a top program. You can apply to some and cross your fingers, but make sure at least one of your aways is at a program you have a chance of matching at that doesn't get 100 away rotators every month, and make sure they love you. Don't be a weirdo...do what's asked of you, preempt basic floor stuff that will need to be done and carry the supplies so you're ready to help, write solid notes and give good presentations, practice two hand tying and instrument tying. People are watching.