Chances for getting into a decent dental school in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7amsho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting my junior year this year with a 3.45 cumulative and a 3.37 science. I switched from an engineering major (took the hard physics and chem classes which lowered my science GPA) to BS in biology. I haven't taken the DAT yet but planning on getting high 20s.

I have been shadowing a lot of dentists and many with specializations (around 200 hours by the time I apply), I have done a decent amount of community service in college (150-200 by the time I apply), I have a lot of leadership skills (been on Eboards for 4 semesters, VP 3 times and P once) and lastly I have work experience in restaurants but also tutoring science classes. Finally, I am fluent in 4 languages and trying to get a research opportunity next year.

Please advise on how my chances are for getting in a decent dental school and what should I improve?

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am starting my junior year this year with a 3.45 cumulative and a 3.14 science. I switched from an engineering major (took the hard physics and chem classes which lowered my science GPA) to BS in biology. I haven't taken the DAT yet but planning on getting high 20s.

I have been shadowing a lot of dentists and many with specializations (around 200 hours by the time I apply), I have done a decent amount of community service in college (150-200 by the time I apply), I have a lot of leadership skills (been on Eboards for 4 semesters, VP 3 times and P once) and lastly I have work experience in restaurants but also tutoring science classes. Finally, I am fluent in 4 languages and trying to get a research opportunity next year.

Please advise on how my chances are for getting in a decent dental school and what should I improve?

Thank you :)

So, by "high 20s", do you mean 28 or 29? Because I'm afraid you are going to have a tough go at it with only a 27.

Last edited:
well I am planning on studying a lot and will probably take a Kaplan course. My goal for now is a 25 (I'm trying to be realistic). So with a 27 my chances are slim :/ it's probably because of my current science GPA as I haven't taken easy science classes yet (because I did 3 semesters of engineering and 1 of bio) and most schools don't count calculus as a science class (i took calc 1, 2 and 3 and got As in all of them, that's 12 credits of As :( )

Members don't see this ad :)
well I am planning on studying a lot and will probably take a Kaplan course. My goal for now is a 25 (I'm trying to be realistic). So with a 27 my chances are slim :/ it's probably because of my current science GPA as I haven't taken easy science classes yet (because I did 3 semesters of engineering and 1 of bio) and most schools don't count calculus as a science class (i took calc 1, 2 and 3 and got As in all of them, that's 12 credits of As :( )

Look at the DAT score distribution in doc toothache's sticky and you'll quickly realize the above poster was being facetious. While I admire aiming for a 25, expecting it is anything but realistic. Even a 25AA is an extremely rare bird. Do your best, aim high, but be happy with anything 20+.

EDIT: math courses definitely count toward sGPA, just not BCP GPA.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! that means I have a sGPA of 3.37! well it's higher than a 3.14 but still low. Which also means my BCP GPA is a 3.14 for now... great..

Thanks a lot! that means I have a sGPA of 3.37! well it's higher than a 3.14 but still low. Which also means my BCP GPA is a 3.14 for now... great..

If I understand correctly, you just finished your sophomore year of college. That means you have 2 years of bringing up your "low" GPA (which isn't all that low to begin with, people are accepted with it every year). Just keep working hard and you'll get where you want to be. I would suggest reading doc toothaches entire guide to dental school, though, and familiarize yourself with some of the material in there - I think it'll make you a more informed applicant.

Thank you very much! I will be taking many science classes in the next 2 years (yes I was a sophomore this spring and will be a junior this fall). Hopefully I could raise all my grades up and become more competitive.