Chances for Hawaii Resdient who went to Ohio State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goldentide

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm in a tough situation right now. I'm planning on retaking the MCAT in July, but it will delay my primary app submissions until late August.

By the end of this semester, I will have around a 3.74 cGPA and around a 3.65 sGPA. My MCAT is a 28 right now. My extracurriculars are pretty solid (in a senior honorary, president/vp/volunteer chair of a professional org, in a service frat with about 90 hours of community service and about 30 more hours for other stuff). I also have a year and a half of research experience (no publications, as I am part of a very new lab). For my gap year, I'll be working at Epic Software in Madison. I am expecting above-average letter of recommendations.

I'm not sure if I should take my chances and apply early and broadly (my reach schools at this point are University of Wisconsin-Madison, Ohio State University (my undergrad), and JABSOM in Hawaii). Or should I plan on doing well for my MCAT and then applying later in the cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Well you could submit the primary in early June designating one school so you get your app verified! Then when you get your MCAT score back you can add schools based on your score! If you wait to submit your primary until late August by the time your app is verified it will be late September at least!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi candbgirl,

That's what I was planning to do in June. I was hoping to finish my primaries, but that means my primary app will be stuck in limbo for at least a few months (and I won't be able to get secondaries out until September). I realize that my stats aren't great (hence why I'm retaking the MCAT), so I know that I have to get all my stuff in early.

I guess my dilemma is whether retaking the MCAT is worth submitting my completed application later in the cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
But the thing is by submitting in June when you do get your scores you'll be all set and not have to wait until you are verified! In the time after the MCAT start writing your secondaries! The prompts are available in the school specific threads( even now as they really don't change from year to year). Have them all set to go when you get the secondary from a school and submit( be sure to check they haven't changed something).

Hard to tell with a small (< 70) class size, but JAB likes in-states. 5/6ths of the Class is from HI. A 28 is 3 points below the average, but still within to 10-90%ile of matriculants.

OSU's median MCAT score is 35, and you're at < the 10th %ile. Therefore, you should skip OSU and have Burns as your #1 choice.

Other schools worth targeting are:
TCMC
Quinnipiac
FIU
Oakland U Beaumont
WVU
EVMS
Rosy Franklin
Gtown
GWU
MCW
Creighton
NYMC
VCU
Rush
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
Rosalind Franklin
Any DO school.

Hi guys!

I'm in a tough situation right now. I'm planning on retaking the MCAT in July, but it will delay my primary app submissions until late August.

By the end of this semester, I will have around a 3.74 cGPA and around a 3.65 sGPA. My MCAT is a 28 right now. My extracurriculars are pretty solid (in a senior honorary, president/vp/volunteer chair of a professional org, in a service frat with about 90 hours of community service and about 30 more hours for other stuff). I also have a year and a half of research experience (no publications, as I am part of a very new lab). For my gap year, I'll be working at Epic Software in Madison. I am expecting above-average letter of recommendations.

I'm not sure if I should take my chances and apply early and broadly (my reach schools at this point are University of Wisconsin-Madison, Ohio State University (my undergrad), and JABSOM in Hawaii). Or should I plan on doing well for my MCAT and then applying later in the cycle?

JABSOM is non-rolling admissions, meaning that a late application would not hurt you significantly. I was able to get in with an MCAT of 28.

The downside is that you should expect to wait until March for a decision on your application.

From reviewing past SDN threads, and from my own personal experience, I would say that the interviews matter significantly - and so does demonstrating a commitment to the state of Hawaii (volunteering/working in Hawaii, etc.)