MD & DO Chances for MD and DO? Texas resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eaglesown

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats are as follows according to AACOMAS: cGPA: 3.55 sGPA: 3.43 MCAT: 29

I am applying to MD schools in Texas along with TCOM, and am also applying to the following 13 DO OOS Schools:

MSUCOM
AZCOM
CCOM
Des Moines COM
OUCOM
PCOM
AT Still Kirksville
AT Still Arizona
Kansas City COM
LMU DeBusk COM
Lake Erie COM
RVU COM (they already sent me a rejection letter)
Western University Pacific COM

Now I am a re-applicant to all the TX med schools and a first time applicant to the DO schools. I have plenty of research, not a lot of volunteer hours, but a lot of work experience in healthcare and business. My application for AACOMAS has been verified and I have received secondaries for all schools except a couple and am planning on finishing the secondaries by mid-late August. What do y'all think are my chances for MD? DO? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You are fine for DO's.

how did the first application cycle go the first time around for MD's in terms of did you get any interviews or waitlists? How have you improved your app since last cycle? The lack of volunteering could cause issues.

Well, my gpa has fallen since my last application cycle and I did not receive any interviews or waitlists in that cycle either. In terms of improvement, I got a job as a scribe, did more volunteer, started a science outreach club at my school, and did a lot more research. I did apply really late last cycle as I finished my secondaries late August or early September.

Members don't see this ad :)
While it's still worth applying a re-applicant who has a downward GPA trend is going to have a good bit of problems in the MD cycle.

How big of a downward trend are we talking from the past year.

MSU-COM and OUCOM mainly accept their own state residents. Add these schools where you are competitive for an interview:
ACOM
BCOM
UP-KYCOM
CUSOM
VCOM ( all 3 schools )
WVSOM
MU-COM
WCU-COM
Your chances for MD are low but there are 2 new Texas state schools (Dell and Rio Grande) opening up for 2016.