Chances for MD: MCAT: 30, GPA: 4.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dior21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my MCAT score isn't that wonderful (BS 11, PS 10, VR 9), but I do have a 4.0 for my undergrad. Currently a biochem major and music minor. I work three jobs (calculus TA, course lecture film editor, tutor). Currently in a biochemistry research lab (and will be for about 2 years in total). I've volunteered about 150 hours so far, and have shadowed about 40. I am in the middle of my junior year and intend on applying next summer. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

So my MCAT score isn't that wonderful (BS 11, PS 10, VR 9), but I do have a 4.0 for my undergrad. Currently a biochem major and music minor. I work three jobs (calculus TA, course lecture film editor, tutor). Currently in a biochemistry research lab (and will be for about 2 years in total). I've volunteered about 150 hours so far, and have shadowed about 40. I am in the middle of my junior year and intend on applying next summer. What are my chances?
Chances for all applicants with a 4.0/30 during the past three years has exceeded 77%. You can fine-tune this number based on race by looking at Sector9's first sticky at the top of the WAMC forum.

Comments:
Your MCAT score has the advantage of having fairly balanced subscores.

Did you mean you will have been in the research lab for 2 years at the time of application? About one year is the average listed, so you should be fine regardless.

What is the nature of your active clinical experience where you interact with sick people?

What nonmedical community service are you involved in? Many schools look for both types of volunteering and they are listed under different categories on the application.

Try to get at least 50 shadowing hours by the time of application (the average listed) and try to include a primary care doc.

The Teaching looks good. Any plan for some peer leadership (not required, but definitely boosts an application)?

Don't forget to include hobbies and artistic interests so as to look more well-rounded and memorable.

Decent numbers, which you have, ensure that your application is reviewed in detail. Experiences that fulfill a school's expectations for "fit to mission" and make it look like you'd be interesting to meet are what get you the interview invitations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances for all applicants with a 4.0/30 during the past three years has exceeded 77%. You can fine-tune this number based on race by looking at Sector9's first sticky at the top of the WAMC forum.

Comments:
Your MCAT score has the advantage of having fairly balanced subscores.

Did you mean you will have been in the research lab for 2 years at the time of application? About one year is the average listed, so you should be fine regardless.

What is the nature of your active clinical experience where you interact with sick people?

What nonmedical community service are you involved in? Many schools look for both types of volunteering and they are listed under different categories on the application.

Try to get at least 50 shadowing hours by the time of application (the average listed) and try to include a primary care doc.

The Teaching looks good. Any plan for some peer leadership (not required, but definitely boosts an application)?

Don't forget to include hobbies and artistic interests so as to look more well-rounded and memorable.

Decent numbers, which you have, ensure that your application is reviewed in detail. Experiences that fulfill a school's expectations for "fit to mission" and make it look like you'd be interesting to meet are what get you the interview invitations.

Thank you so much for your feedback, Catalystik!
Because I'm applying in June, I'll only have a year of research done at that time. As for the active clinical experience, though, I shadowed two physicians at Mayo in Rochester, MN for about five days when I went there for a program last summer. I have also observed multiple surgeries at Maricopa Medical Center for the entire summer of last year (as I am an Arizona resident) when I did some research there, as well as a cosmetic surgeon and an oral surgeon in the valley. As of right now, I am just starting a shadowing experience with a local pediatrician and intend on shadowing him for awhile.
I should have mentioned that as far as nonmedical volunteering goes, I also tutored 5th grade students in science for two semesters (although I would like to boost my hours for this category).
For my hobbies, I have been in numerous choirs and musicals throughout high school and college, and also like to play violin and guitar (that's why I'm a music minor!) I've also written a screenplay for a feature film and have played fairly large roles in three movies (two of which are commercially available in US stores). So I guess you could say I really enjoy acting and writing as well.

I hope this helps and once again, thank you for taking the time to evaluate my numbers.

1) Because I'm applying in June, I'll only have a year of research done at that time.
2) As for the active clinical experience, though, I shadowed two physicians at Mayo in Rochester, MN for about five days when I went there for a program last summer. I have also observed multiple surgeries at Maricopa Medical Center for the entire summer of last year (as I am an Arizona resident) when I did some research there, as well as a cosmetic surgeon and an oral surgeon in the valley. As of right now, I am just starting a shadowing experience with a local pediatrician and intend on shadowing him for awhile.
3) I should have mentioned that as far as nonmedical volunteering goes, I also tutored 5th grade students in science for two semesters (although I would like to boost my hours for this category).
4) For my hobbies, I have been in numerous choirs and musicals throughout high school and college, and also like to play violin and guitar (that's why I'm a music minor!) I've also written a screenplay for a feature film and have played fairly large roles in three movies (two of which are commercially available in US stores). So I guess you could say I really enjoy acting and writing as well.
1) That will be fine for the vast majority of med schools.

2) Let's be clear on our definitions: Shadowing, a passive observership where one generally stands out of the way to see what a doc does all day, would not be considered as "active" clinical experience, where one interacts with patients in a helpful way. Perhaps, in retrospect, some of your "shadowing" could be recategorized if you did more than watch the doc interacting with a patient. Shadowing, which helps only you and no one else, is not a volunteer activity and is not considered a demonstration of altruism. It is still necessary to a good application and has its own category for listing.

3) Sounds good.

4) Excellent. Perhaps put the acting gigs/choirs under Artistic Endeavor since you shared your work with the public.