Chances for MD, MD/PhD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gjgjrhcka

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I will be applying both MD and MD/PhD program this coming cycle, but I would appreciate any feedback you could give me. Here is my stat.

-30 MCAT (10PS/7VR/13BS)
-3.84 sGPA/3.85 cGPA
-4 years of research experience (2 yrs of undergrad research at Molecular Biology lab and 2 yrs of research at Physiology lab as Research Assistant)
- 3 pubs ( 1 first author, 1 third author, 1 fourth author), 2 more manuscripts to be submitted soon with middle author.
- Poster presentation at research conference in medical school
-100 hrs of clinical volunteer
-120 hrs of shadowing of three different physicians
- 60 hrs of non- clinical volunteer

As you can see, my primary concern is my low verbal score on MCAT. I should say this is because English is my second language. I do not know if admission committee would take this into consideration, but I wish my research background would compensate it. If you could give me any suggestion regarding my application for either MD or MD/PhD program, I will appreciate it.
Thank you very much for your help ahead!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I will be applying both MD and MD/PhD program this coming cycle, but I would appreciate any feedback you could give me. Here is my stat.

-30 MCAT (10PS/7VR/13BS)
-3.84 sGPA/3.85 cGPA
-4 years of research experience (2 yrs of undergrad research at Molecular Biology lab and 2 yrs of research at Physiology lab as Research Assistant)
- 3 pubs ( 1 first author, 1 third author, 1 fourth author), 2 more manuscripts to be submitted soon with middle author.
- Poster presentation at research conference in medical school
-100 hrs of clinical volunteer
-120 hrs of shadowing of three different physicians
- 60 hrs of non- clinical volunteer

As you can see, my primary concern is my low verbal score on MCAT. I should say this is because English is my second language. I do not know if admission committee would take this into consideration, but I wish my research background would compensate it. If you could give me any suggestion regarding my application for either MD or MD/PhD program, I will appreciate it.
Thank you very much for your help ahead!
I think you should be OK for MD, but the MCAT might be too low for MD/PhD...

I doubt you will have success applying to MD/PhD but many mid- and low-tier MD programs would interview you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you retake your MCAT? It seems to be what's holding you back for MD/PhD programs. It's only March, so you can perhaps prep for a late May MCAT.