Chances for MD or DO? 3.33 gpa 506 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

breachnaked

We go together like cocaine and waffles
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its been a long time but I have finally finished up all of my classes and taken the MCAT. My stats are below, any suggestions on schools or things i can do to improve? Thanks in advance!

30 years old, Caucasian, Texas Resident

cGPA 3.33
sGPA 3.38

MCAT 506 (125/127/127/127)

Active Duty Officer for 6 years going on 7 (still active)
2 Years as a Platoon Leader (managing 30 engineer soldiers) 6 months deployed to Kuwait.
1 Year as a company Executive officer (managed property, maintenance, training for 150 Soldiers)

Service Academy Graduate 3.25 GPA
Engineering

DIY Post bacc (community college at night after work) GPA 3.75
Bio 1
Molecular Bio
Elementary Orgo
Orgo 1
Orgo 2
Biochem
Micro Bio

Volunteering

Hospice 30 Hours (building more through the cycle)
Army Casualty Assistance (office work) 5 hours

Shadowing
Ortho 20 Hours
Oncology 20 Hours
Family Practice 8 hours
Cardio 10 hours
ER 3 hours

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Its been a long time but I have finally finished up all of my classes and taken the MCAT. My stats are below, any suggestions on schools or things i can do to improve? Thanks in advance!

cGPA 3.33
sGPA 3.38

Active Duty Officer for 6 years.
2 Years as a Platoon Leader (managing 30 engineer soldiers) 6 months deployed to Kuwait.
1 Year as a company Executive officer (managed property, maintenance, training for 150 Soldiers)

Engineering

Bio 1
Molecular Bio
Elementary Orgo
Orgo 1
Orgo 2
Biochem
Micro Bio

Volunteering

Shadowing
Ortho 20 Hours
Oncology 20 Hours
Family Practice 8 hours
Cardio 10 hours
ER 3 hours

I'm not one of the experts on here who can predict your acceptances, but I just wanted to take a minute and thank you for your service. I'd be proud to have you as my physician!

First off, many thanks for your service to our country!
Suggest all TX schools, USUHS, East TN (they like veterans), Creighton, Netter, Loyola, BU, Tulane, SLU, Gtown, U AB, U OK, U KS

cGPA 3.33
sGPA 3.38

Active Duty Officer for 6 years.

Engineering

Bio 1
Molecular Bio
Elementary Orgo
Orgo 1
Orgo 2
Biochem
Micro Bio

Volunteering

Shadowing
Ortho 20 Hours
Oncology 20 Hours
Family Practice 8 hours
Cardio 10 hours
ER 3 hours

Members don't see this ad :)
So after looking @Goro's suggestions (thanks!), and the MSAR's 90th percentile vs in/out out of state I came up with a broad list of too many schools. Many of them I feel are out of my league, but half of life is showing up. If there are any that are obviously a waste of money or time to apply to feel free to give me a shout. Would love to hear what @gyngyn thinks as well as the rest of my SDNers!

Texas A&M
UT Rio Grande
UT San Antonio
UT Houston
UT Galveston
UT Dell
UTSW
Texas Tech
Baylor
U. Oklahoma
NYMC
U A Phoenix
U A Tucson
Tulane
Rosalind
Albany
Wake Forest
Rowan
Netter
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
Northeast Ohio
U. Alabama
U. Colorado
Rutgers
Central Florida
Hofstra
Creighton
U. Minnesota
Miami
Stony Brook
Louisville
U. Maryland
U. Kentucky
U. Indiana
U. Vermont
Penn State (Family is from PA, my dog is even named Nittany)
U Conn
U. Kansas (I live in KC)
U Missouri, Columbia
U Missouri, Kansas City (I live in KC)
Mayo
SLU

TCOM
KCU
CCOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
AZCOM
Touro-NYC
Touro-Nevada
Rocky Vista
OSUCOM

So after looking @Goro's suggestions (thanks!), and the MSAR's 90th percentile vs in/out out of state I came up with a broad list of too many schools. Many of them I feel are out of my league, but half of life is showing up. If there are any that are obviously a waste of money or time to apply to feel free to give me a shout. Would love to hear what @gyngyn thinks as well as the rest of my SDNers!

Texas A&M
UT Rio Grande
UT San Antonio
UT Houston
UT Galveston
UT Dell
UTSW
Texas Tech
Baylor
U. Oklahoma
NYMC
U A Phoenix
U A Tucson
Tulane
Rosalind
Albany
Wake Forest
Rowan
Netter
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
Northeast Ohio
U. Alabama
U. Colorado
Rutgers
Central Florida
Hofstra
Creighton
U. Minnesota
Miami
Stony Brook
Louisville
U. Maryland
U. Kentucky
U. Indiana
U. Vermont
Penn State (Family is from PA, my dog is even named Nittany)
U Conn
U. Kansas (I live in KC)
U Missouri, Columbia
U Missouri, Kansas City (I live in KC)
Mayo
SLU

TCOM
KCU
CCOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
AZCOM
Touro-NYC
Touro-Nevada
Rocky Vista
OSUCOM

Wayyyyyy too many schools!

Schools such as UConn, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Louisville, Kansas, Stony Brook, Minnesota, Central Florida, Rutgers, Alabama, Northeast Ohio, Colorado, Rowan , Arizona, Oklahoma accept very few non residents with your stats. Consider adding schools such as:
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin

If you live in KC, I think you have a good shot at KU. I have 2 brothers going there now and they love veterans.

So I wanted to update this, in case any other active duty guys might be thinking about medical school, see this and know its possible.

So in the end, I applied to about 28 schools all the way through secondary, was invited to 5 DO interviews, and 5 MD interviews. I only attended 7 interviews total, and so far have been accepted to 2 DO Schools, and 3 MD schools. I am leaning strongly towards my acceptance at McGovern Medical School, (UT Houston).

But for other vets, look strongly at ETSU. it is on a VA Campus, and they really do love other Vets.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
So I wanted to update this, in case any other active duty guys might be thinking about medical school, see this and know its possible.

So in the end, I applied to about 28 schools all the way through secondary, was invited to 5 DO interviews, and 5 MD interviews. I only attended 7 interviews total, and so far have been accepted to 2 DO Schools, and 2 MD schools. I am leaning strongly towards my acceptance at McGovern Medical School, (UT Houston).

But for other vets, look strongly at ETSU. it is on a VA Campus, and they really do love other Vets.
Good to see other fellow vets also accepted this cycle! Congrats!!