Chances for MD/PHD? Possible Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DynamicEnigma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry to break it to you, but with those GPAs and MCAT, you don't stand a chance. One year of research is nothing. Can't change your GPAs, so if you're really set on MD/PhD, go MS route and get multiple publications, with at least two being first author, and get above a 40 on your MCAT. Then you might get them to at least read your application.

Howdy all!

This is my first post, so please forgive me if I make any mistakes in formatting or nomenclature.

Anyway, I have an sGPA of 3.47 and a cGPA of 3.56 with a projected MCAT score of 35. Due to my current study habits, at least an hour of studying a day with the tests over a year out, I am inclined to project fairly high. There are reasons for the low GPA, and only one year of noticeably bad grades.

As for EC, by the time I apply to some MD/PHD programs, I will have conducted a research project for one year in a local lab. The research will be published. This will also be my honor's research thesis. Furthermore, as part of the honor's society, I have also conducted over 100+ hours of varying community service.

Also, I don't know if this will be considered or not, but I intend to spend a year in South Korea teaching English as a post-graduation break.

One question I have is whether or not I should spend more time in research or not. If so, would pursuing an MS be wise?

Any information would be very helpful. Thanks.
Read this helpful info on what determines best chances at MD/PhD.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=539268

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to break it to you, but with those GPAs and MCAT, you don't stand a chance. One year of research is nothing. Can't change your GPAs, so if you're really set on MD/PhD, go MS route and get multiple publications, with at least two being first author, and get above a 40 on your MCAT. Then you might get them to at least read your application.

That's a big harsh. 36+ MCAT and much more experience in research, with at least one pub and multiple strong research letters, is more realistic.

But I agree, right now, no chance.

Thanks for the information. You guys have pretty much confirmed what I already thought. I have heard though, that some medical schools, given that I could even get an interview, will take into account the circumstances under which you achieved such low grades.

As I had mentioned before, I do have reasons (possibly just "excuses" to some?) for the low GPA. There were two major events that caused a bad junior year in which I received all C's, D's and a couple B's.

The most significant event was my father-in-law had a mental-breakdown which has resulted in a still unknown psychological condition, though his symptoms are similar to that of schizophrenia. During this time, my wife and I were taking care of her siblings and tending to him. We both forsook most of our schoolwork.

The second event was the loss of a close friend of both mine and my wife's to cancer. We spent much time with him in the hospital and aiding his family.

In hindsight, I should have dropped out during those semesters, but my job with the university and scholarships would have been lost, so I continued on.

Thanks for the information. You guys have pretty much confirmed what I already thought. I have heard though, that some medical schools, given that I could even get an interview, will take into account the circumstances under which you achieved such low grades.

As I had mentioned before, I do have reasons (possibly just "excuses" to some?) for the low GPA. There were two major events that caused a bad junior year in which I received all C's, D's and a couple B's.

The most significant event was my father-in-law had a mental-breakdown which has resulted in a still unknown psychological condition, though his symptoms are similar to that of schizophrenia. During this time, my wife and I were taking care of her siblings and tending to him. We both forsook most of our schoolwork.

The second event was the loss of a close friend of both mine and my wife's to cancer. We spent much time with him in the hospital and aiding his family.

In hindsight, I should have dropped out during those semesters, but my job with the university and scholarships would have been lost, so I continued on.

The grades are not the biggest problem. First, you need a confirmed MCAT (projected = meaningless). Second, and most important, you just need more research experience.

I know someone who got into well-respected MD/PhD programs with less than great grades. But they had AMAZING research credibility and multiple pubs. You need convincing evidence that you can work as an independent researcher for PhD admissions, and it just doesn't sound like you've had enough time to establish that.

So does anyone think that pursuing an MS in molecular biology or biochem (two fields I am deeply interested in) would help? I have considered doing so at another university just for my own personal benefit, anyway. Not only would it be helpful in determining if research really is the right path for myself, but I would also feel it would help compensate for the relatively poor science education I have received through the University of Alaska.

UA likes to place way too high an emphasis on wildlife biology, ecology, mycology and botany where as I am interested in other fields such as molecular/cellular, genetics, bioinformatics, biochemistery and such. There aren't many offerings where I'm at in any of the aforementioned fields.

If I ended up deciding to pursue an MS first, do you think that schools would be adverse to my current GPA? I would prefer not attend any of the UA campuses, simply because I have heard terrible things about their graduate programs in the sciences. One TA of mine who was pursuing an MS said that the actual average time to complete a bio- based MS up there was 3+ years, plus you don't get much a say in the research you do. This isn't just his experience, though, I have met many others burned by our bio- and even chem departments who have confirmed his claims.

The grades are not the biggest problem. First, you need a confirmed MCAT (projected = meaningless). Second, and most important, you just need more research experience.

I know someone who got into well-respected MD/PhD programs with less than great grades. But they had AMAZING research credibility and multiple pubs. You need convincing evidence that you can work as an independent researcher for PhD admissions, and it just doesn't sound like you've had enough time to establish that.
Thanks, SN12357. That's a pretty helpful reply. I think, in this case, I might end up pursuing a post-bacc or MS. I will consult with my pre-med adviser before making any concrete decisions, but she doesn't seem to have any more information than other students do on this subject.

Although I am pretty adverse to pursuing an MS at my current university, I have heard that it is advisable to continue with labs you are experienced with. Do you have any information on this? Or is this a question for another forum?

Thanks, SN12357. That's a pretty helpful reply. I think, in this case, I might end up pursuing a post-bacc or MS. I will consult with my pre-med adviser before making any concrete decisions, but she doesn't seem to have any more information than other students do on this subject.

Although I am pretty adverse to pursuing an MS at my current university, I have heard that it is advisable to continue with labs you are experienced with. Do you have any information on this? Or is this a question for another forum?

Oh man, I was going to leave any further reply to people who know more about MS programs (not a route I took), but I must reply to this...

DO NOT go into a masters' program that you already know (per your post above) a)isn't in a field you want to be in and b)where the atmosphere is toxic.

Go elsewhere.

Yes, research and publications take a lot of time. That is why people are advised to stay in one place--you need stability to get publications. This generally means more than a year. But you need to be in a place where you will be supported and productive. It sounds like your current school isn't it, so definitely go somewhere else.

And be wary of premed advisers. You don't have to look too far to find horror stories.

One route that may take more time is to find a job in a lab. I work in clinical research. I have friends that worked as lab techs. As a staff member publications are not a given (this depends highly on the PI) but you're earning money, instead of spending it, while you build up your research experience.

Good luck!