Chances for next cycle (any for this?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alc9162

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I applied this cycle already, however I applied quite late (app was verified 10/10) and also don’t have the greatest stats for being a late applicant. I was wondering if I could get some input into my chances for next cycle (and if there’s any more of a chance for this cycle for Buff and Rutgers).

Stats: 3.1 sgpa undergrad (upward trend with last year being 3.75)
Will have a 3.5-3.6 grad gpa by next cycle (applied this cycle with a 3.45)
20AA/21TS/18PAT

Work hours: 5000+ (Worked in a hospital and a clinic doing admin jobs, and as a math/science tutor)
Research hours: 900+ (will be about 1500 next cycle)
1 publication
140 volunteer hours (mentored kids in a underprivileged neighborhood
140 shadowing hours (general dentists only)

Thoughts about my chances next cycle and any suggestions will be appreciated! Also does anyone have any idea if Rutgers and Buffalo are still sending out interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Most likely no chance and Rutgers and buffalo now. Also there has been an increase in Rutgers taking more of their graduate students recently. 3.6 grad is likely too low for Rutgers.
Also, You applied way too late. You need to apply to schools such as UCSF, NYU, Tufts, Western, MWU-AZ, MWU-IL. They are more in line with your grad GPA

Most likely no chance and Rutgers and buffalo now. Also there has been an increase in Rutgers taking more of their graduate students recently. 3.6 grad is likely too low for Rutgers.
Also, You applied way too late. You need to apply to schools such as UCSF, NYU, Tufts, Western, MWU-AZ, MWU-IL. They are more in line with your grad GPA
I’m not really interested in throwing money at schools like NYU.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m not really interested in throwing money at schools like NYU.

I understand but you’re not in the position to be picky.
Your DAT is average, PAT is bad, grad GPA is average assuming you get that 3.5-3.6 next cycle.
You’re really testing your luck here.

If you’re instate for Rutgers or buffalo, different story

IS for Buff
But I know a lot of NYC applicants get into Rutgers?

Did you do your masters at Rutgers?
If you’re IS, you have a shot a buffalo, possibly even stony brook . Guessing you’re not interested in Touro either

If you’re IS, you have a shot a buffalo, possibly even stony brook . Guessing you’re not interested in Touro either
I understand but you’re not in the position to be picky.
Your DAT is average, PAT is bad, grad GPA is average assuming you get that 3.5-3.6 next cycle.
You’re really testing your luck here.
Wait the average DAT score rose to a 20AA/21TS?

I’m not finished with my masters yet but no I’m doing it at a NYC school.

I’m not finished with my masters yet but no I’m doing it at a NYC school.
If you have something that truly stands out from other masters student then possibly Rutgers but realistically, much lower than buffalo. would assume most Rutgers masters students with a 3.5+ would apply to Rutgers. Also consider the fact that they have a linkage program with their masters program also will lower your chances

UCSF?

Reactions: 1 user
Your DAT is average, PAT is bad
Their PAT isn’t “bad”. It’s just not the best it can be. I know people that got in with lower stats. Also, that AA/TS score is not “average”. You guys give people advice opinion based, not facts based.

For OP, take advice on here with a grain of salt. Just apply early next year and have a strong application, you’ll be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey ! So I applied this cycle and received an interview and Buffalo pre-december but ended up wait-listed. I have lower stats than you and applied early. My advice is to apply the first week the cycle opens and if you can increase you shadowing hours. When I interviewed at Buffalo many of the administration said that they liked students who show interest in community service as their program resolves around it.

Hey ! So I applied this cycle and received an interview and Buffalo pre-december but ended up wait-listed. I have lower stats than you and applied early. My advice is to apply the first week the cycle opens and if you can increase you shadowing hours. When I interviewed at Buffalo many of the administration said that they liked students who show interest in community service as their program resolves around it.
Appreciate you reaching out! If you don’t mind me asking, how many hours of volunteering/shadowing do you have?

I have 140 volunteer but no where near 500 shadowing. 900+ research hours. Did they bring up research at all?

Nope even the heavy research schools never brought it up. The only research related topic was when I asked about their research programs