Atheene

2+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys, first off thanks for the help in advance you guys here at SDN are amazing for wannabe docs like myself. I just started UPenn Postbac pre-health program due to my low gpa and am taking upper level science courses that I intend to knock out of the park.
  • sGPA: 3.31 cGPA: 3.31 (with postbac possibly a 3.4)
  • upward trend from freshman/sophomore/first half of junior year ~3.0 to ~3.8 for last 1/3 of my college career
  • MCAT: Old (30: phys: 09, Verbal: 10, Bio: 11) , intend to take new one in spring
  • PA resident, male, 22 (will be 23)
  • White
  • GWU BME
  • 300 hours as EMT volunteer
  • 500 hours of research at GWU medicine, no papers...
  • 200 hours of shadowing (pediatrician/GP)
  • Two misc volunteering/mentoring programs at GWU
  • strong letters from research PI, and committee letter from GWU if I want it, or can get one from penn
I realize I may have made a mistake with penn prehealth program after doing some research. Should have done tulane/cincinatti/tufts/goucher, I can't really transfer in a postbac program right?

My main question is how competetive will I be if I do very well in this program (3.7+) and score very good on the MCATs that I will be taking sometime in spring? What range should I aim for in MCATs? I'm looking to go to any mainland allopathic school I'm assuming PA schools are my best bet.

Can anyone give me any other advice? Should I apply to another postbac after this as a back up while I apply in the next cycle? Should I do anything else this year?

Last edited:

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
If your final GPA is over 3.4 and you score over 508 on the MCAT your chances for a MD acceptance would be approximately 50%. If your MCAT is over 512 the odds increase to over 60%. You are fine for any DO school.

OP
A

Atheene

2+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
If your final GPA is over 3.4 and you score over 508 on the MCAT your chances for a MD acceptance would be approximately 50%. If your MCAT is over 512 the odds increase to over 60%. You are fine for any DO school.
Thanks for the advice! I think I'll try and kill it this year then and do well on the MCAT, and apply to multiple schools