Chances for Peds vs Child Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drlove4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is more difficult to attain given a <500 COMLEX? Assume unified match. Psych matches general then child fellowship for the most part.

Members don't see this ad.

Which is more difficult to attain given a <500 COMLEX? Assume unified match. Psych matches general then child fellowship for the most part.

You can match peds as long as you have a pulse.

I ask because peds has been essentially all ACGME for some time and many programs say 500 COMEX.

Members don't see this ad :)
Programs say many things and reality shows otherwise. The hurdle to child psych is matching psych, and if you want to do child, you are better off in a program that integrates it into 4th year of residency to save a year

@AlbinoHawk DO Are you saying you can apply even if they have a certain cut off? How competitive are the integrated programs? Aren't there as well a handful of fully integrated programs where you match child psych track from day one?

@AlbinoHawk DO Are you saying you can apply even if they have a certain cut off? How competitive are the integrated programs? Aren't there as well a handful of fully integrated programs where you match child psych track from day one?
AFAIK if the system lets you apply, you can apply. My understanding is that most programs with child fellowship, even if they aren't integrated from day 1, will allow you to add it on. I'd recommend just talking to the PDs and expressing your interest and most of them will probably be straightforward of your chances.

Reactions: 1 user