Chances for psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteoforever

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys
I'm in the middle of my third year and have decided to pursue psychiatry as my residency. I wanted to know if I have a decent shot in the northeast with a comlex of less than 450 and how many programs to apply to. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
you have a chance at acgme psych but the northeast programs tend to be more desirable. I didn't apply to many there because of where I'm from but I did get a couple invites in that area. If you're specifically interested in northeast do auditions there, but apply to Midwest and south east as a plan B.

Also crush your step 2, that will really help you out. Focus on step 2 and auditions, your step 1 may be low but you still have a shot of making up for it.

Reactions: 2 users
I think your chances for ACGME psych are pretty low, especially in the North East. Maybe if you score very well on USMLE step 2 and Level 2 you may be able to get some more interviews. Otherwise you probably should have a back up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your chances for ACGME psych are pretty low, especially in the North East. Maybe if you score very well on USMLE step 2 and Level 2 you may be able to get some more interviews. Otherwise you probably should have a back up.

But is AOA Psych even available next year? Or is it that they will be if they get initial accreditation? Still a little confused on merger logistics with AOA programs.

But is AOA Psych even available next year? Or is it that they will be if they get initial accreditation? Still a little confused on merger logistics with AOA programs.

Who knows. I don't think AOA psych was all that uncompetitive either this year.

probably will be unless they get fully accredited and get moved to ACGME. Matching into ACGME in the NE with only a COMLEX and 450 I think will be challenging.

What are you basing this on? OP, you should prolly ask this in the psych forum as it's pretty active.

What are you basing this on? OP, you should prolly ask this in the psych forum as it's pretty active.

The Psych forum and the recently posted NRMP statistics. People with under a 450 basically have either around or under a 60% match chance in the ACGME match these days.

But hence why I said he needs a good level 2 or step 2 score. He could bounce back.

The Psych forum and the recently posted NRMP statistics. People with under a 450 basically have either around or under a 60% match chance in the ACGME match these days.

But hence why I said he needs a good level 2 or step 2 score. He could bounce back.

Last night took an L but tonight I bounced back...wake up erry morning by tonight I count stacks.. Knew that ass was real, when I hit, it bounce back.

Sorry I had to.

:)

OP, take step 2 and go from there. Your chances depend a lot on your step 2. I had >150 jump from comlex step 1 to step 2. So anything is possible and I'm very happy with my psych match. Work hard, and make the jump! Hit me up after you get your step 2 results and ill give you real advice based on my experience.

OP, take step 2 and go from there. Your chances depend a lot on your step 2. I had >150 jump from comlex step 1 to step 2. So anything is possible and I'm very happy with my psych match. Work hard, and make the jump! Hit me up after you get your step 2 results and ill give you real advice based on my experience.

Step 2/ level 2 seem to be more correlated with matching than Step 1/ Level 1 in Psych.

FWIW I know a few IMGs that matched psych at a community program.

They had 250+ step 1 scores. Don't know about their step 2.

But then again... If they were US MD or DO with those scores... jeez christ.. I'd give up my boyfriend's left nut for that. LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
FWIW I know a few IMGs that matched psych at a community program.

They had 250+ step 1 scores. Don't know about their step 2.

But then again... If they were US MD or DO with those scores... jeez christ.. I'd give up my boyfriend's left nut for that. LOL
That's not worth anything at all, really.

70% chance actually. I don't know how you can say that's "pretty low". I mean, just looking at Freida, his score falls into range of most psych program residents where it's listed. We also don't know how many programs those students applied to, how they ranked programs etc. But I agree, OP should focus on level 2 and try to improve their score. Also getting good letters and showing a genuine interest in psych would go a long way me thinks.

Last edited:
70% chance actually. I don't know how you can say that's "pretty low". We also don't know how many programs those students applied to, how they ranked programs etc.

It's closer to 60% last time I checked. And sure, we also don't know what those people got on their level 2 either if we want to start talking about variables. And that is pretty low, clearly not non-existent, but the odds aren't exactly good either.

But yah, it all depends on what they do from now. If they have a comeback then they'll probably match. If not, then they'll probably want to apply to a lot of programs and hope for the best or have a back up.

Last edited:
It's closer to 60% last time I checked. And sure, we also don't know what those people got on their level 2 either if we want to start talking about variables. And that is pretty low, clearly not non-existent, but the odds aren't exactly good either.

But yah, it all depends on what they do from now. If they have a comeback then they'll probably match. If not, then they'll probably want to apply to a lot of programs and hope for the best or have a back up.
Well you should check again because you're wrong. Not that it really matters. I didn't know the number until I checked, but the point is it's not a "really low" chance. Compare it to 82% of all DO students matching. It's really not that much worse. You really have no argument here. Your numbers are wrong, as are your assumptions.

Well you should check again because you're wrong. Not that it really matters. I didn't know the number until I checked, but the point is it's not a "really low" chance. Compare it to 82% of all DO students matching. It's really not that much worse. You really have no argument here. Your numbers are wrong, as are your assumptions.

Consider buying a ruler if you need help reading charts. Also you're free to go and check out the psych forum.

I really doubt you'd be comfortable yourself applying with a 62-65% chance of matching.

Consider buying a ruler if you need help reading charts. Also you're free to go and check out the psych forum.

I really doubt you'd be comfortable yourself applying with a 62-65% chance of matching.
Can%2527t%2Bstop%2Bnow%2Bsomeone%2Bis%2Bwrong%2Bon%2Bthe%2Binternet.jpg

I'm not looking at that chart again. :dead: Maybe I would freak out looking at those tables if I had a 450 and no USMLE, maybe I wouldn't. Sure you can look at the psych forums. You'll find many people reporting matching their #1. You'll find people talking about not matching. You'll find the 2 PDs there talking about how psych really hasn't gotten more competitive. It's all conjecture really, none of which will help the OP. Let's not kid ourselves though, OP has a decent shot at matching. OP should be working hard to make up for the low level 1 score. Das it mane, das it.

with a < 450 COMLEX level I. It was around 73%, I have no clue why those dudes are saying 60%. Sky's not falling.

Reactions: 2 users
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Osteopathic-2016.pdf

At 450 it's 70% Then proceeding to 60% at 400. (+/- 2%).

The Sky isn't falling. But that is a low match rate and in a field with almost no soap spots. Hence why I and everyone else is saying OP needs to do well on level 2.

You can't make that assumption at all. Look at the numbers between 450-500, the match rate is 70% and below 450 its 73%. Why is the match rate higher when you go to lower numbers? There are other factors coming into play.

The data needs to be taken for what it is. Yes, doing better on his level II and rotations will definitely help him, I'm not refuting this fact. However, we can't make any assumptions beyond what is given in the NRMP report.

You can't make that assumption at all. Look at the numbers between 450-500, the match rate is 70% and below 450 its 73%. Why is the match rate higher when you go to lower numbers? There are other factors coming into play.

The data needs to be taken for what it is. Yes, doing better on his level II and rotations will definitely help him, I'm not refuting this fact. However, we can't make any assumptions beyond what is given in the NRMP report.

It's called a line of best fit. If you want to take offense, take it up with math.

But you don't have the data points to make that line and it is so multifactorial? That's the problem.

Let me rephrase my original comment. Your odds of matching psych aren't great and you will need to do better from now on to have a good chance of matching.

Are we done here?

Let me rephrase my original comment. Your odds of matching psych aren't great and you will need to do better from now on to have a good chance of matching.

Are we done here?

Odd aren't great, but their not 60%. Yep, I'm done.

Dude, the beauty about Psych is that it's not a fan favorite. What do I mean by that? There are many applicants with decent/good board scores who apply to Psych as a backup or have little interest in it.

From what I've seen, if you have a genuine interest in Psych and it shows, it will take you a long way. Possibly better than someone with higher scores who doesn't show as much interest. This is why the trend in the data is so random; you don't really see a trend where higher scores leads to higher match rate until wayyy down the list of scores.

When you look at data, you're just looking at numbers. But the people behind the numbers tells a different story. It even shows on the PD surveys that Step scores is like 4th or 5th on their list, which you rarely see with a specialty.

Reactions: 1 users
Dude, the beauty about Psych is that it's not a fan favorite. What do I mean by that? There are many applicants with decent/good board scores who apply to Psych as a backup or have little interest in it.

From what I've seen, if you have a genuine interest in Psych and it shows, it will take you a long way. Possibly better than someone with higher scores who doesn't show as much interest. This is why the trend in the data is so random; you don't really see a trend where higher scores leads to higher match rate until wayyy down the list of scores.

When you look at data, you're just looking at numbers. But the people behind the numbers tells a different story. It even shows on the PD surveys that Step scores is like 4th or 5th on their list, which you rarely see with a specialty.

maybe previously this held true but psych is def getting more competitive each year. Regardless of who applies as a backup, there are still alotttt of people applying who want psych. There were people who did not match ACGME psych this year from my class, and I've heard from several others that they went way down on their rank list than expected.

I think this generation people are starting to see the perks of going into psych. It really is a great field to go into and the demand is so high you have a lot of options with it.

Also something else to look at, more and more AMGs are applying psych and american MDs definitely get priority still.

Boards also matter a lot. For psych or anything else. Some psych residencies were getting over 1,000 apps for 4-7 spots. Half of those prob get screened out immediately.

maybe previously this held true but psych is def getting more competitive each year. Regardless of who applies as a backup, there are still alotttt of people applying who want psych. There were people who did not match ACGME psych this year from my class, and I've heard from several others that they went way down on their rank list than expected.

I think this generation people are starting to see the perks of going into psych. It really is a great field to go into and the demand is so high you have a lot of options with it.

Also something else to look at, more and more AMGs are applying psych and american MDs definitely get priority still.

Boards also matter a lot. For psych or anything else. Some psych residencies were getting over 1,000 apps for 4-7 spots. Half of those prob get screened out immediately.

I think region is going to play a big role too. For example, at PCOM students have been matching to Albert Einstein and Geisinger consistently for Psych, and I don't see that changing.

Also let's say you go to ACOM, I could see Alabama residencies giving some preference to the local DO students if they think you will stay there and practice.

Region plays some role probably not a huge role in my experience applying. I got interviews in 9 different states, in different parts of the country. I think the good thing about a school like PCOM is that they have been around for so long that residencies in that area may see it as a legit school. Whereas a brand new DO school there may be more hesitancy.

ALSO, 70 more US MD's matched, but around 100 new spots opened up! So yes, certain spots may be more competitive than others for sure.

From what I'm hearing, some MD's actually got blind-sided this year by applying to top tier places and not getting matched at their top choices. Does that mean it got harder to match, or maybe US MD's aren't getting as entitled as a whole to the best locations like before.

ALSO, 70 more US MD's matched, but around 100 new spots opened up! So yes, certain spots may be more competitive than others for sure.

From what I'm hearing, some MD's actually got blind-sided this year by applying to top tier places and not getting matched at their top choices. Does that mean it got harder to match, or maybe US MD's aren't getting as entitled as a whole to the best locations like before.

In many respects the changes in how people apply and how people rank have significantly affected how the match works. We are seeing MD students applying now to nearly 40 programs for residency when a few years ago it was half that number. That's where the problem is.