Chances for surgery..IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Erythropoietin

EPO
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I usually find my answer in other posts on here but since my situation is different I just wanted to get some advice.

I have an undergrad degree from the U.S. and also a green card holder. For a number of reasons I had to move back to my hometown to study medicine and I recently graduated.
I passed all my classes even though I'm not ranked in class or anything. Step 1 is 221, cs is pass on 1st attempt, and still have to take ck.

I was struggling with classes so I didn't have time to do research during med school. So I mainly did observerships during the summer. I only have 1 nonsurgery related publication. I have a 3 yr research experience from my undergrad years in U.S. with no publications but only poster presentations. Also I have about 2000 hrs of hospital volunteer experience from undergrad.

Besides doing well on the CK, what should I do to make myself more competitive to increase my chances for a categorical position? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

As an IMG you will be at a disadvantage, especially if you haven't done any rotations in the US. A lot of programs don't consider observerships as adequate USCE. I think with a step 1 >220 you might net more interviews than those with step 1 <220. I would try to do an away rotation at an institution that is known to be IMG friendly and try to build relationships with faculty who would be willing to vouch for you to the PD.

Members don't see this ad :)
uphill battle but not impossible. would you consider doing prelim and re-apply if not successful this time through? something to consider

uphill battle but not impossible. would you consider doing prelim and re-apply if not successful this time through? something to consider
thank you for your response.
I thought about prelim but since I'm lacking in research I thought I would start doing research right away. Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard doing research is more valuable and better than doing prelim since you get to work with people, produce something, and have them write letters for you.
Also, even if I did a year (or two) of prelim, don't you think I would still be uncompetitive due to my lack of research?
Thanks

I'm sorry to say it, but I don't think you realistically have any chances for a categorical spot unless your CK hits the roof and you somehow manage to get US surgeons to strongly support your application. If you keep at your current pace, you may even have to fight for a good prelim spot. Compared to many prelims you have lower step 1 and less pubs.

Doing research can only get you that far. What you need is to prove that you are safe with patients at a clinical setting (and a hard worker. And nice to work with. And reliable. And knowledgeable. Etc etc). Your best chance would be a prelim year imho. I've seen too many fellow IMGs spend years and years in the lab only to realize that (after a certain point) it's almost irrelevant in terms of getting a residency spot.

Do your absolute best in step 2, do an elective in US if you can (to get letters), and then I would aim for the best prelim possible.

thank you for your response.
I thought about prelim but since I'm lacking in research I thought I would start doing research right away. Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard doing research is more valuable and better than doing prelim since you get to work with people, produce something, and have them write letters for you.
Also, even if I did a year (or two) of prelim, don't you think I would still be uncompetitive due to my lack of research?
Thanks

research will not change your USMLE scores or where you went to med school. what i got out of my prelim year was just as you wrote....worked with big name surgeons, produced something (both clinically and academically) and yes they wrote good letters for me with their name behind it. for me that made a difference.

research is a nice feather in your cap, but realistically at the type of places you'd be hoping for a residency spot, likely the bigger concern is your clinical characteristics not your aptitude for research