DO chances for this cycle (2018)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtr09

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA/sGPA: 3.21/3.18
MCAT: 512 (126/128/128/130)
LOR's: have 2 from science professor's (they're from community college professors, where I re-took C's: idk if that matters); can get letter from a DO; letter from MD

clinical exposure: 60+ hours shadowing, worked for 3 yrs as a medical assistant (floater)

no volunteering or research.

my preferred schools are Western COMP, touro CA/NY, AZCOM, DMU, but I will go just about anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good MCAT. Terrible volunteering and research experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOR's: have 2 from science professor's (they're from community college professors, where I re-took C's: idk if that matters); letter from a DO; letter from MD

exposure to healthcare: 60+ hours shadowing, worked for 3 yrs as a medical assistant (floater)

my preferred schools are Western COMP, touro CA/NY, AZCOM, DMU, but I will go just about anywhere.
volunteering in community service. You have clinical experience. You need volunteering in non-profit, underserved areas or community service.

Research is not 100% required. You can email the schools of interest and find out if they require research.

Reactions: 1 user
No need for research for D.O. Volunteering is necessary.

Reactions: 1 users
is my app DOA for this cycle if i apply right now with no volunteer experience? I'll look for something ASAP, but it might take some time

LOR's: have 2 from science professor's (they're from community college professors, where I re-took C's: idk if that matters); letter from a DO; letter from MD

exposure to healthcare: 60+ hours shadowing, worked for 3 yrs as a medical assistant (floater)

I would suggest to apply for next cycle. Any chance to bring that GPA up?

Without volunteering and that GPA your chances are not high for this cycle.

is my app DOA for this cycle if i apply right now with no volunteer experience? I'll look for something ASAP, but it might take some time
Did you even start your app?

sending and receiving your transcripts is about 2 weeks alone plus time for verification.

Do you have PS ready?

OP wait til next cycle (cast a broad application for DO). In the meantime, build up your volunteering and boost up your GPA.

I have everything inputted except for my personal statement (waiting for a reader to finish reviewing). I would be ready to send after putting finishing touches. I thought about applying for 2019, but got a favorable MCAT would prefer not to spend another year out if I could get in somewhere. Taking additional classes to boost GPA isn't an option for me financially

I have everything inputted except for my personal statement (waiting for a reader to finish reviewing). I would be ready to send after putting finishing touches. I thought about applying for 2019, but got a favorable MCAT would prefer not to spend another year out if I could get in somewhere. Taking additional classes to boost GPA isn't an option for me financially

Looks like the choice really falls on your shoulders. Its definitely going to be less risky to apply earlier next year. But ultimately, you have to decide.

Your chances don't look good without any volunteering, to begin with, and it's kind of late in the cycle already. Your choice.

I suggest including these schools in you application:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
WVSOM
UIWSOM
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
VCOM (all 3 schools)
UP-KYCOM
LECOM
If you are going to apply this cycle you need to apply this week and submit all your secondaries by mid November.

I suggest including these schools in you application:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
WVSOM
UIWSOM
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
VCOM (all 3 schools)
UP-KYCOM
LECOM
If you are going to apply this cycle you need to apply this week and submit all your secondaries by mid November.

For NYITCOM, you will need 1 non-science letter. I think it is too risky to apply this cycle.