Chances for Top-20 Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctoraz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my stats:

Science GPA: 3.8
Overall GPA: 3.72
Top-20 Research Institution
MCAT: 9/11/10 = 30 S
Asian

triple major in biology/chemistry/political science

Activities:
2 years of research (poster presentation at national conference)
Started a multi-national NGO
Started Tutoring Program for inner-city schools
Internship with inner-city NGO
EMT-Intermediate
Editor-in-Chief of Research Journal
TA'd for all pre-med classes
Phi Beta Kappa
won numerous awards
shadowed doctors (over 150+ hours)

Committee Letter: letters ranged from outstanding to above average LORs (most are outstanding, 1 or 2 are above average)

I think am on the lower end of the GPA/MCAT range for top-10/top-20 schools..it sucks i was averaging 34 on my practice AAMC MCAT (ranged from 28-38)..and the 10 on BS matched the lowest I have ever gotten..i thought I did really well on the real MCAT..obviously not..kind of depressed..I already submitted all my applications this cycle so improving MCAT is out of the question..what are my chances of getting accepted to a top-20 school??

Members don't see this ad.

There are four schools among the top twenty with a bottom tenth percentile for MCAT at 29 or 30. It's not impossible that you'd get accepted at those, but not likely considering your competition will have better scores. Your ECs look strong, but that can only compensate to a certain degree. I hope you have also listed schools in the mid-selective range.

Honestly I'd say you have a pretty poor chance at any of the top 20. Your MCAT is just too low. If you were a URM it might be a different story, but as it stands now, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your EC's look really good, but in my opinion, your stats seem a little low. If it doesn't work out this year, you could probably take a couple of courses and get 4.0, and re-do the MCAT.

I think your gpa is fine, but the MCAT is going to be a challenge at top 20 schools. I would add some mid-tiers to your AMCAS this cycle and if you end up applying again, spend a lot of time preparing for the MCAT. A class or two to bump up your gpa a tiny bit probably isn't worth it (unless you are missing pre-reqs or something).

That MCAT ain't taking you to the top.

By the way, the top isn't everything. You'd have a great shot at your state schools and some of the more middle-tier private schools. That is, if you care more about being a doctor than attending a top-20 school.