Chances for Top Schools (MD/PhD and MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carpediem22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm apply to MD/PhD programs mostly, as well as a few MD-only programs that have internal admissions (i.e. you apply for MD/PhD after MS1). However many MD/PhD programs will forward my application to the medical school if I don't get accepted, so would appreciate opinions for both types of admission.

(Redacted for privacy -- will replace after the cycle)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Like you said, you have a strong app. As far as the school list go, I would get rid of Brown (very significant undergrad preference), U Washington (not at all OOS friendly), and UT San Antonio (90% IS by law), unless you're IS for Washington or Texas, then keep them in your list.

Your MD/PhD list is fine, so for the MD (maybe for MD/PhD as well), you can add U Virginia, Northwestern and Case Western. Additionally, even though your MCAT is balanced and great, we don't have the exact percentiles and estimates, so it's best to play safe and add in mid-tier schools MD-only.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the response. Regarding UW and UT, MD/PhD admissions don't favor IS (not positive on UT but for UW, yes). If I was just applying MD I wouldn't bother, but for MD/PhD it's open to everyone.

Already submitted with Brown so too late for that. Can you swap schools post-submitting?

I will think about mid-tier Md, but honestly I'd probably just reapply MD/PhD next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Might have some luck with the Caribbean if you apply early. Bring a check for $200,000 at the interview that you can light on fire(because lighting money on fire is basically what the Carribean is); I hear that helps demonstrate interest.

Or you could just apply away to almost any MD/PhD programs except for those with low OOS matriculant%. The track record of candidates like you getting into great programs is strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Might have some luck with the Caribbean if you apply early. Bring a check for $200,000 at the interview that you can light on fire(because lighting money on fire is basically what the Carribean is); I hear that helps demonstrate interest.

Or you could just apply away to almost any MD/PhD programs except for those with low OOS matriculant%. The track record of candidates like you getting into great programs is strong.

Ahaha good thing I have a checkbook... #millenialproblems

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm hoping UW isn't lying about the OOS thing for MD/PhD, it's one of my top choices.

Your list is great given your stellar stats. Congrats on all your achievements! I'm curious why you're applying to certain schools' MD but not MD/PhD program (e.g., Cornell)? Is it because they can't accommodate your specific research interests?

Close! It's because they CAN accommodate them, but don't support an MD/PhD in my field (public health). A few also have internal admissions.

Thank you for the positive vibes!

Really depends on MCAT but something tells me you killed it, so your list is pretty good. Your application is excellent.

Case Western, Northwestern, NYU, Sinai are others you should consider (for MD or MD/PhD)

Really depends on MCAT but something tells me you killed it, so your list is pretty good. Your application is excellent.

Case Western, Northwestern, NYU, Sinai are others you should consider (for MD or MD/PhD)

Ahaha, thanks. I hope so. I'll look into those schools' MD/PhD. Sinai was already on my 'maybe' list.

Update:

Actual MCAT scores:
Overall: 520 (98%)
CHEM: 129 (93%)
CARS: 130 (97%)
BIO: 130 (97%)
PSYCH: 131 (98%)

Can anyone suggest other schools to add? My current (near final?) list is below. I'm trying only to apply to MD programs that have very strong research focus and global health activity, as my true goal is MD/PhD by far. However, there are not many programs that fund public health PhDs, hence my applying to both program types. Both Brown and Stanford have internal MD/PhD admissions for my program of interest. I realize my list is very top heavy, though, which makes me nervous... @Goro @gyngyn

MD/PhD (applying only to programs that fund public health PhDs):
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Columbia
Emory
Harvard
Hopkins
Penn
UCSD
U Chicago
U Michigan
UNC
U Pittsburgh
U Washington
Yale
UT San Antonio

MD (applying to schools that have strong global health research):
Duke
Stanford
Brown
Cornell
UCSF
Mt. Sinai

Yeah your list is good. Have fun this cycle.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep it as it is, then. Less $$$ to shell out in app fees = happy me!