Mar 8, 2013
Status
Psychology Student
What are my chances?

White female, mid-20s, first-generation student
Languages: English, German, Spanish

(keeping some of this information general to stay anonymous)

Academics -- I don't even know how to calculate my GPA with all of this!! -->
4.0 GPA - in Freshman year (took Bio, basic courses, Psych and Abnormal Psych) at basic state school
3.35 Overall GPA (3.82 Major GPA = Public Health major), Graduated with Honors Thesis - Transferred to Ivy League School for 3 years, mom got cancer and died at this time so I mostly got low C's (and I think 1 D) in Physics I, General Chemistry I and II during that time when I tried to take them. B- in A&P.
B+ Overall in Organic Chemistry I when taken at an average/above average private university
4.0 in Physics I (retook), Physics II, and Social Psychology at Community College

Still need to take Orgo II and retake Gen Chem. II. Would be able to get A's in these if taken at CC (pretty confident).

Recently:
Worked for 2 years as a research assistant in pharmaceutical consulting. Received a lot of clinical research exposure, interviewed patients with a variety of conditions (rheumatoid arthritis, heart failure, uterine fibroids, etc.). Was co-author on abstract presented at major cancer conference.

Currently 4.0 GPA in a funded Medical Psychology Masters program. Will have approximately 4 publications by end of next year (currently have one published), at least 1 first author.

Shadowing: Allergist/Immunologist, Pediatrician
Other experience:
Spent 8 weeks assisting a doctor and doing other medical projects in the slums of Dominican Republic
Lived with a pediatrician and assisted in his clinic for 3 weeks in India, observed surgery there
Volunteered at a Gerontologicalpsychiatric facility in Germany for 1 week
Taught English in Korea for 6 weeks
2 spring break volunteering service trips
Interned for 1 year for a rural county Public Health Department developing their telehealth program
Interned for 1 year in global health at the United Nations
Research Assistant for 1 year at Psychiatric research facility
4 years of paid wet lab bench research in mouse oncogenomics, maize genetics
NSF REU fellow
Spent 1.5 months at European medical institute developing a cancer study for the EU
Currently volunteer on a regular basis with cancer patients

It has always been my dream but my very poor grades in pre-med classes when my mom got cancer and I was at the Ivy League school made me think I am not good enough.

At this point I need to take Orgo II and Gen Chem II at CC and take the MCAT (what score do you think I would need?) Do you think I should go for it? My target school is GW.

Thank you for your feedback!

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
You need to calculate your cGPA and sGPA using the AMCAS grade calculation tool (or AACOMAS). We see your year by year grades, but not your major gpa. If you come back with those calculations it is much easier to estimate chances and MCAT needed to get II's.

Master's grades are a separate issue. Fair or not, everyone is expected to have close to a 4.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: fnulnu
OP
F
Mar 8, 2013
Status
Psychology Student
You need to calculate your cGPA and sGPA using the AMCAS grade calculation tool (or AACOMAS). We see your year by year grades, but not your major gpa. If you come back with those calculations it is much easier to estimate chances and MCAT needed to get II's.

Master's grades are a separate issue. Fair or not, everyone is expected to have close to a 4.0.
Thanks! ...Here it is for AMCAS based on an excel doc program I found...
(I included the 4 Masters courses I took/am taking, 2 of which would count towards the BCPM gpa--- please let me know if I should exclude these Masters courses in the calculation?).

Running Overall GPA: 3.60
Running BCPM GPA: 3.14... if I take Gen Chem II and Orgo II and get As in both, this would bring this up to 3.27
Running All Other GPA: 3.82

OP
F
Mar 8, 2013
Status
Psychology Student
Thanks! ...Here it is for AMCAS based on an excel doc program I found...
(I included the 4 Masters courses I took/am taking, 2 of which would count towards the BCPM gpa--- please let me know if I should exclude these Masters courses in the calculation?).

Running Overall GPA: 3.60
Running BCPM GPA: 3.14... if I take Gen Chem II and Orgo II and get As in both, this would bring this up to 3.27
Running All Other GPA: 3.82
In general how do I treat post-bac grades? I took 3 undergrad classes (2 specifically for pre-med, Physics I and II) after I graduated undergrad at a CC. But I also took some pre-med requirements at CCs (Calculus I, Orgo I, English Comp. I) during undergrad breaks to keep up. Do Masters grades go under post-bac or is it something different entirely?

Thanks so much again!

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Undergraduate classes taken after graduation are identified separately as post bac as well as being averaged into your cGPA and BCPM gpa.

Graduate level classes are not averaged in, rather they appear as graduate gpa. Therefore you should not include them in your undergraduate calculation.

OP
F
Mar 8, 2013
Status
Psychology Student
Undergraduate classes taken after graduation are identified separately as post bac as well as being averaged into your cGPA and BCPM gpa.

Graduate level classes are not averaged in, rather they appear as graduate gpa. Therefore you should not include them in your undergraduate calculation.

Ok thanks, that being said here are my new figures:
Running Overall GPA: 3.58
Running BCPM GPA: 3.07... this would increase if I took Gen Chem 2 and Orgo 2 as mentioned (but not by much).
Running All Other GPA: 3.81

Grad school GPA: 4.0

Do you think it is a lost cause?

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Do you think it is a lost cause?
Certainly not. You will, however need to show a dramatic break from your historical BCPM norm and submit a strong MCAT for your state of residence to convince a screener that you have turned over a new leaf. The Master's grades will not do that.

OP
F
Mar 8, 2013
Status
Psychology Student
Certainly not. You will, however need to show a dramatic break from your historical BCPM norm and submit a strong MCAT for your state of residence to convince a screener that you have turned over a new leaf. The Master's grades will not do that.
Many thanks. In the BCPM classes I took last year in CC I got a 4.0. Given this, how important would it be for me to take classes beyond retaking Gen Chem 2 and taking Orgo 2? Due to being in the masters program it would be impossible to take anything more than that while enrolled so this would be a consideration for me in planning.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
If you get A's in both of them and submit an early, eloquent application to enough schools that like students like you, you should get interviews.