Chances for UQ/Ochsner and Flight cost?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhtran

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've applied to the UQ/Oschner program last week, which seems to be way after everyone else. They're still saying that it is not too late... but I don't know what to think.

I'm an American with 3.35/4GPA and 27MCAT (7/8/12M). I didn't send any LORs or P. Statement because it's not required. Realistically speaking, what are my chance for UQ?

This is the most active Australian forum I've seen!

Thanks,

jhtran

Members don't see this ad.

UQ officially says that you need at least an 8 on every section of the MCAT. They might make an exception if they have a lot of spots left over, but you might want to consider retaking it.

If you go to UQ website, it actually says a little bit more about the minimum MCAT scores. I don't know if it's just this year, but they say that they will consider on a case-by-case applications that has one 7 if the total score is at least 24 M. I think if you had applied early this year, you definitly had a chance. Since you applied just recently, it would depend on how many spots are still available. You'll have to wait and see. Hope you get a good news!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I've talked to admission and they said that the overall MCAT is decent and GPA is in the average range. I have no idea that applications are made so early. Usually it's 6 months in advance... and since class starts in late Jan.. I figure July isn't that bad. Bummer, I really want to start school next Jan.

Does anyone have similar stats that got in or know someone that got in?

Thanks,

jhtran

I've seen people on the forums say that they got in with a 27 or 28, but those people applied early. On the other hand, UQ is accepting an unusually large class size this year, so that will work in your favor. Either way, you need to send in your application immediately, since admissions are rolling.

I just decided to switch from the regular 4 year MBBS program at UQ into the UQ/Ochsner program. I decided that all the pros outweigh the cons of the program. In terms of MCAT scores... I have been told that this program will stick strictly to the 8/8/8 standard as they would rather have a less than full program than drop their standards. This makes sense as the UQ/Ochsner program is trying to establish itself as a world class program while DISTANCING ITSELF AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE FROM THE CARIBBEAN programs. Hence, I think that if you want to do this program it would make sense to retake the MCATS.

I thought one 7 would still be considered. Weird. Must email them and ask again.

I would think one 7 is fine since you made up for it with the 12 and have an overall 27.

Would taking MCAT September and getting scores back in October be too late for Jan 2010 class? Also, I have a 3.0 GPA.

Usually, yes. But this year, UQ is accepting a very large class, so it's possible that it won't be filled up by then. Your GPA is irrelevant.

Talk to Matt at OzTREKK, and he'll be able to give you a better answer.

I will tell you from firsthand knowledge and experience on the inside (yes, I am currently in first year of the UQ-Ochsner program) that timing is of very little importance. The school is indeed trying to expand its class size every year, and trying to grow the Ochsner cohort as well. I know from experience that if you don't make the numbers, they will not accept you and in fact did not fill the desired number of spots for my current cohort as a result. However, if you are close they will likely give you the nod since they are in fact looking for cohort size. Once again, timing is not at all an issue. I have friends in the cohort (from this year and last) who applied in late september and got acceptances in November and even one in December. So apply but be ready to move fast.

Also, keep in mind this is a fledgling program. I cannot and will not go into details here, but pay attention to the fact that this program is currently NOT approved by the Australian Medical Council and as such if you are accepted there is the theoretical chance you will ultimately do all 4 years here in Brisbane. However, things are looking good and it truly is in everyone's best interest to see this go through. We are all working hard to get it done. Basically, what I am really getting at is be aware of the program's fledgling status, be prepared for the inevitable hiccups that will result from such a new and uncharted endevour, and be willing to be flexible. If you have that, and a serious hunger to succeed, then by all means come on down! I will honestly say that I was a bit disillusioned by the reality of those statements when I arrived, but I still feel that this program can and will ultimately prove better than a Caribbean school.

The school is indeed trying to expand its class size every year..

While that has been the case, the Head has recently told UQMS that class size will not expand any more (btw current 1st year size is the largest at 475 and not the 550 "per year" some others for some reason persist in reporting).

Shan - Oschsner is starting at only 40 students, with the goal of bringing that up to 80, and ultimately 120, with time. They're not in any rush to 'fill up'.

Last edited:
This thread is probably dead but I wanted to put in some info regarding the 7 thing.

I spoke to Matt at Ozztrek and he informed me that I would be eligible to apply to UQ. I got a 29S (11/7/S/11). My GPA was also quite high because of grad school (3.8) So I don't know if that'll play a factor in negating the 7 (or if the high WS will do that alone).

My point is, if you haven't already heard from Matt or UQ, you should apply.