chances for UVA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spunkybling

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I honestly just wanna get into UVA. (I'm a VA resident and go to UVA for undergrad). I'm not trying to show off or anything, I'm just a liiiiiittle worried about my chances for UVA now that I just got my MCAT score out today.

GPA 3.9
science GPA 3.95
MCAT 33R (8V, 12P, 13B).. seriously, what happened to verbal? would the R make up for some of that? Also, would the fact that I'm asian lend some leniency in my verbal score? Is it too uneven? I'm just afraid that it doesn't match up well with my GPA.
excurrs: played violin since age 8, in UVA symphony now
2 years hospital volunteering, 1 summer clinic tech
1 year + 1 summer research
Bio TA for a summer
Good LORs
3rd year phi beta kappa

Thanks for the help....

Members don't see this ad.

First talk to the premed advisor see what she thinks. also try contacting admissions and request an appointment, maybe they can suggest something you can do to strengthen your app. G'luck!:luck:

UVa looks for a 33 for VA residents with 11s across the board. That said, your GPA looks splendid and your MCAT is certainly nothing to scoff at. I would wager that you will almost certainly get an interview (barring no bad LORs or weird comments in your application) and you stand a fair shot at an offer of acceptance (assuming you have a moticum of interpersonal skills and do well in your interview).

Members don't see this ad :)
would the R make up for some of that? Also, would the fact that I'm asian lend some leniency in my verbal score? Is it too uneven? I'm just afraid that it doesn't match up well with my GPA.

Also...
No; God No; and not really.

Relax. Breathe. You dont need to worry, you have competitive scores.

I honestly just wanna get into UVA. (I'm a VA resident and go to UVA for undergrad). I'm not trying to show off or anything, I'm just a liiiiiittle worried about my chances for UVA now that I just got my MCAT score out today.

GPA 3.9
science GPA 3.95
MCAT 33R (8V, 12P, 13B).. seriously, what happened to verbal? would the R make up for some of that? Also, would the fact that I'm asian lend some leniency in my verbal score? Is it too uneven? I'm just afraid that it doesn't match up well with my GPA.
Bio TA for a summer
Good LORs
3rd year phi beta kappa

Thanks for the help....

I say 30% good, 70% bad. I think UVA wants minimum of a 9 on verbal

First talk to the premed advisor see what she thinks. also try contacting admissions and request an appointment, maybe they can suggest something you can do to strengthen your app. G'luck!:luck:

that wasn't to say that you don't still have a chance because you do. UVA likes their own (naturally because we're cool:D ), so that will help a bit too. I second crazy cav's comments above. Also make sure you're befriending your profs talk to them about your desire to become a Dr and your other interestes...allow them to get to know you so that can write a LOR w/ a personal twist. (i.e. they can attest to both your academic and personal qualities). G'luck:luck:

Hm, thanks everyone for the thoughts. My advisor recommended sending an addendum about the 8...

I can't imagine that the "8" will keep you from the interview stage given the rest of your profile and in-state status (unless UVA has some hard and fast rule about nothing less than a "9" - I think I would ask the question directly)...

What kind of "addendum" will you send? That would be an awkward thing to write about...not sure I see the logic...but do inquire about the "9" floor before writing some explanation for the 8...

GPA 3.9
science GPA 3.95
Bio TA for a summer
Good LORs
3rd year phi beta kappa

Thanks for the help....

Your MCAT, GPA, and EC's are still competitive.

Your job right now is to concentrate on your Personal Statement and your secondary essays. I think that is stressed very much on the UVA app. I was joe average considering stats (3.6 GPA, 30 MCAT) and EC's and I still got interviewed and at least waitlisted, and it was probably due to my essays. I talked about my personal statement with my interviewer for almost half the session it seemed like.