Chances for West Coast Academic General Surgery program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

argama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm an MS3 at a mid-tier US MD school trying to create my MS4 schedule and interested in General Surgery. My step 1 is mediocre at 232 and I have only gotten Pass on all my rotations including Surgery. I'm not really good at the Shelf Exams and our grades is purely shelf-based (ie even stellar evaluations won't help), and usually only 1/3 of our class gets either HP or Honors. In general, I do get good evaluations and work well with others. My research (surgery-based) is very strong with 3 first author papers, 2 second authors, and many many abstracts/oral/posters. I am working on 1 more 1rst author paper as well.

So far I am looking to schedule 2 aways and am thinking of USC and perhaps another UC program (debating UCLA, UCI, UCSD, maybe Cedars?)....do you think I would be wasting aways at these programs? I am originally from California but I know CA programs are competitive.

I see some posters recommend doing 3-5 aways and I wonder how do you have time to schedule 3-5 4 week externships? I can barely fit two 4 week GS externships on my schedule... unless some of you mean 3-5 two week away rotations?

Members don't see this ad.