MD Chances? + help creating school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnnyDoe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Need help creating a school list.

-CA resident, attended undergrad at a UC school
-Hispanic
-Overall GPA= 3.53
-Science GPA= 3.46
-MCAT= 29 & 31

-Studied abroad for a year in a spanish speaking country (volunteered in ER there, played on school soccer team)
-Created club on campus
-Research experience
-Lots of shadowing
-Volunteered in South America for 3 months after graduating (medical + public health non-profit)

I plan to apply to most CA med schools. Need help figuring out which out of state schools to apply to. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

We have very similar stats. I would be curious to see what people say to you.
My list is pretty low-middle tier heavy with a sprinkle of top to make things interesting.

You should probably compile a list first and then have people comment on it. SDN likes to see a little effort before chiming in.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Beating my wise colleague gyngyn to the punch, what community do you represent?

Hello! Need help creating a school list.

-CA resident, attended undergrad at a UC school
-Hispanic
-Overall GPA= 3.53
-Science GPA= 3.46
-MCAT= 29 & 31

-Studied abroad for a year in a spanish speaking country (volunteered in ER there, played on school soccer team)
-Created club on campus
-Research experience
-Lots of shadowing
-Volunteered in South America for 3 months after graduating (medical + public health non-profit)

I plan to apply to most CA med schools. Need help figuring out which out of state schools to apply to. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
I am in the process of researching schools to start a list. Goro: I represent the latino community

In this regard, stick to the low-tier schools, the Puerto Rican schools, and any DO school. I don't think that you'll have any luck with the CA schools, hence gyngyn's comment...unless you count Loma Linda (but look at their list of don'ts). For DO schools, start with Touro-CA and Western.

Cubanos are not generally considered under-represented in medicine (ORM, in fact).
Language skills are always appreciated, though.
You really need to pay a lot of attention to your OOS list.