CHANCES?? HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cicero

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation:
gpa (undergrad.)-3.2, sciences - 3.0
gpa (grad.)-3.8
MCAT-
v 7
p 5
b 6
w M
research experience in labs and companies,lots of volunteer work,
Asian background
Do I have a chance? What about the schools in Puerto Rico- I've seen their stats. are lower than most other schools? Their MCAT average was around a 7. I speak Spanish fluently also. HELP!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I hate to point out the obvious, but your MCAT scores are really going to have to come up before you have a chance at U.S. schools, allopathic or osteopathic. I don't know much about schools outside of the U.S., but I would suspect that your scores are low for them too. When did you take the MCAT? If those are old scores and you were to retake them and do well I would say you have a decent chance. If, however, they are from the most recent administration then you may need to rethink your plans, at least for the immediate future. Sorry I couldn't deliver better news.

If your verbal was your lowest score, you'd have a better chance. I really think you need to brush up on your sciences and retake in order to have a competitive edge, even abroad. A puerto rico or dominica program may work for you, but I'm not sure that the schools will see your scores as showing that you're ready to take on the basic sciences at a med school level, you know? Your grad GPA is great -- give as much care to a next round of MCAT and I bet you'll improve quite a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cicero,
I also scored a 18 the first time on the MCAT. My distribution is also 5, 6, and 7. I did not even bother to apply with that score; thus, I took MCAT again the following April and got a 25. I got in my state school with a 3.5 gpa and a 25 on MCAT. So, just work on your MCAT again, and I think you will be in good shape the next time you apply. By the way, I am also from an Asian background.

gui-gui

this msg is for gui-gui

i saw your post today, first of all, congrat on your acceptance to med school. which med school are you attending?

i'm also asian, i didn't do so well on my verbal reasoning, do u have any suggestion where i should apply? i'm a ca resident, and i know i will be competing against with alot of applicants. do u have advices? did u get accepted elsewhere?

thank you

Unfortunately, the Puerto Rican schools favor native students -- not much chance of getting in unless you are a Puerto Rican resident. Your Spanish speaking background may work for you if you can also demonstrate and write about strong connections and affinity for working for minority communities.

Unfortunately, your grad GPA will not help that much unless you took a lot of basic science courses and got A's. Graduate school grades are somewhat hyperinflated to begin with, and medical schools know this.

The best way for you to get into a US med school is for you to take postbacc basic science courses and get straight A's in them. Also, you need to resit for the MCATs and try to get double digits in each category. Otherwise, you will need to consider off shore schools or osteopathic school (your gpa and background are probably Ok for them, but your MCATs are on the low side even for DO schools).

Good luck. I know a lot of people in your situation who ended up doing some remedial work and got in.

this msg is for gui-gui
i saw your post today, first of all, congrat on your acceptance to med school. which med school are you attending?

i'm also asian, i didn't do so well on my verbal reasoning, do u have any suggestion where i should apply? i'm a ca resident, and i know i will be competing against with alot of applicants. do u have advices? did u get accepted elsewhere?

thank you