Premed2295

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Undergrad GPA 3.51, rising every year
MCAT 516 129-129-128-130
Science GPA 3.45
I already submitted, I am not verified yet. Some schools sent secondaries others are waiting for verification. I know someone who is on an admissions committee who told me that my personal statement is very strong, and my activities section is very strong.
I graduated May 2017 and I am presently doing a 1 year Master's Degree Abroad.

Ive chosen 41 schools for my list just to be sure, because I dont want to have to do them again. About 7 of those schools are honest to God pipe dreams.

DrHart

5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2013
Chicago
Status
Pre-Medical
MCAT 516 129-129-128-130
Science GPA 3.45
I already submitted, I am not verified yet. Some schools sent secondaries others are waiting for verification. I know someone who is on an admissions committee who told me that my personal statement is very strong, and my activities section is very strong.

Ive chosen 41 schools for my list just to be sure, because I dont want to have to do them again. About 7 of those schools are honest to God pipe dreams.
This could be moved to the WAMC subforum. Would you mind sharing a little more about yourself? ECs? Major? School list? State of residence?

OP
Premed2295

Premed2295

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2017
Status
Medical Student
This could be moved to the WAMC subforum. Would you mind sharing a little more about yourself? ECs? Major? School list? State of residence?
Hi there. I just joined. I would be happy to move my thread if someone teaches me how :)
State of Residence is NY, completing my undergrad in CT. I applied mainly to schools in my area (NY, CT, MA, NJ, PA etc) but a few outside of that area that are near family and/or I had a strong desire to attend i.e.) the 4 Jesuit Schools because my school was Jesuit (Fairfield University)
My majors were Biology and Psychology, I had a concentration in Behavioral Neuroscience, and a minor in Spanish Language.

My ECS were pretty varied, a lot of travel and leadership/volunteering. I did 3 service trips, I was a leader in 3 student clubs, I was actively involved in my schools campus ministry and retreat leadership/mentorship through my Undergrad School. Most of that was peer to peer stuff with younger Undergrads.

Other than that I also had shadowing experiences in 3 different medical institutions in very different subsections of the field (2 being prestigious institutions). I worked as a CNA for 3 summers in a LTC near me, and got a glowing recommendation from my Director of Nursing. I was worked as a tutor for High School students.

Other than that in my "personal time" was also a Camp Counselor for kids with Special Needs, Volunteered in my local hospital and did a lot of charity road races.

About the Ads
OP
Premed2295

Premed2295

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Hi there. I just joined. I would be happy to move my thread if someone teaches me how :)
State of Residence is NY, completing my undergrad in CT. I applied mainly to schools in my area (NY, CT, MA, NJ, PA etc) but a few outside of that area that are near family and/or I had a strong desire to attend i.e.) the 4 Jesuit Schools because my school was Jesuit (Fairfield University)
My majors were Biology and Psychology, I had a concentration in Behavioral Neuroscience, and a minor in Spanish Language.

My ECS were pretty varied, a lot of travel and leadership/volunteering. I did 3 service trips, I was a leader in 3 student clubs, I was actively involved in my schools campus ministry and retreat leadership/mentorship through my Undergrad School. Most of that was peer to peer stuff with younger Undergrads.

Other than that I also had shadowing experiences in 3 different medical institutions in very different subsections of the field (2 being prestigious institutions). I worked as a CNA for 3 summers in a LTC near me, and got a glowing recommendation from my Director of Nursing. I was worked as a tutor for High School students.

Other than that in my "personal time" was also a Camp Counselor for kids with Special Needs, Volunteered in my local hospital and did a lot of charity road races.
List of schools (the due dates are there because I copied directly from AAMC)
Weill Cornell Medicine: October 30, 2017
New York Medical College: December 29, 2017
University of Massachusetts Medical School: October 30, 2017
University of Alabama School of Medicine: November 15, 2017
University of Arizona College of Medicine-Tucson: November 15, 2017
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien: November 15, 2017
Meharry Medical College: December 29, 2017
Howard University: December 29, 2017
Creighton University School of Medicine: November 15, 2017
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici: November 15, 2017
Georgetown University School of Medicine: November 20, 2017
Saint Louis University School of Medicine: December 29, 2017
Yale School of Medicine: October 30, 2017
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai: October 30, 2017
Columbia University College of P & S: October 30, 2017
Albert Einstein College of Medicine: October 30, 2017
Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine at Hofstra University: November 15, 2017
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth: November 15, 2017
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine: October 30, 2017
Uniformed Services University of the Health Scienc: November 15, 2017
Boston University School of Medicine: November 15, 2017
University of Hawaii John A. Burns Sch. of Med.: November 15, 2017
New York University: October 30, 2017
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine: October 30, 2017
Albany Medical College: November 15, 2017
Drexel University College of Medicine: December 15, 2017
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine: December 29, 2017
Quinnipiac University SOM: December 15, 2017
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University: December 29, 2017
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine: November 29, 2017
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Den: October 30, 2017
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School: December 15, 2017
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School: December 15, 2017
SUNY Upstate Medical University: October 30, 2017
State University of New York Downstate Medical Cen: December 15, 2017
Stony Brook University School of Medicine: December 15, 2017
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University: November 29, 2017
Tufts University School of Medicine: November 15, 2017
University of Connecticut School of Medicine: November 29, 2017

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
State public schools such as Cooper Rowan, Rutgers, Hawaii, Alabama and UMass accept very few non residents with no connections to the state. Meharry and Howard accept mainly URM from the African American community. Consider adding these schools where you could receive interviews with your stats:
SUNY Buffalo
Vermont
Jefferson
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Tulane
Medical College Wisconsin

OP
Premed2295

Premed2295

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2017
Status
Medical Student
State public schools such as Cooper Rowan, Rutgers, Hawaii, Alabama and UMass accept very few non residents with no connections to the state. Meharry and Howard accept mainly URM from the African American community. Consider adding these schools where you could receive interviews with your stats:
SUNY Buffalo
Vermont
Jefferson
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Tulane
Medical College Wisconsin
Hey Thanks :)
In all honestly Hawaii was on my list because- Hawaii :laugh:
Ill definitely think about adding some of those schools to my list as well :)

Sep 2, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
With your stats, chances are pretty good you'll get in somewhere. GPA is a bit low, but MCAT should make up for it and prove you can succeed academically for the majority of schools.

I would apply to as many in state as possible... that will give you the best chances.
But I would also highly consider leaving the Northeast region of the country, it's the most competitive.

OP
Premed2295

Premed2295

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2017
Status
Medical Student
H
With your stats, chances are pretty good you'll get in somewhere. GPA is a bit low, but MCAT should make up for it and prove you can succeed academically for the majority of schools.

I would apply to as many in state as possible... that will give you the best chances.
But I would also highly consider leaving the Northeast region of the country, it's the most competitive.
Hey thanks :Smile:
I have a few schools outside of the Northeast, but maybe Ill add a few more

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
MCAT 516 129-129-128-130
Science GPA 3.45

They don't need the donations. Take your mom out to dinner instead.
What was your GPA year by year?
State of residence?

Your degree abroad will not be counted by MD schools. Don't know about DO for foreign....domestic would be OK.

Applying to 41 schools is insane. I have a feeling that, like most SDNers, that you have picked your list by simply looking at USN&WR stats, or glanced at MSAR and paid no attention to the IS/OOS numbers. Am I right?

Your chances are best with your state schools, but there are MD schools that reward reinvention (as will all DO schools).

EDIT: I MUST start reading threads in their entirety!

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Chances will be best at:

Did you even bother to look at Howard's or Meharry's websites???

OP
Premed2295

Premed2295

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Chances will be best at:

Did you even bother to look at Howard's or Meharry's websites???
Hey Goro, thank for the advice. I added those 2 schools primarily as safeties, even though I knew they catered only to URM groups because I figured my scores were high enough above their requirements. Maybe that wasn't a good move. I chose 41 schools just because I figured Id rather get in than not lol. The degree abroad is more of a personal betterment thing, and trying to do something Im interested in. I know it won't "Count" to an MD school but it gives me something to do with my gap year and something to write about.
Do you think I should take the schools you didnt list off, or just give it a try anyway? Ive applied to all of them but thats not to say I have to do all the secondaries I get.

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
Is Creighton on your list? You'll probably get some looks from the Jesuit schools. You understand the requirements attached to USUHS right? Don't waste your money(or time ) on your "pipe dreams" or the HBCUs. You are late to the process and you still
want to do a good job on your secondaries. Being abroad how do you plan yo handle interviews?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

OP
Premed2295

Premed2295

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Hi candbgirl. Thanks for your response.
The interviews while abroad thing :laugh:
That has been quite a process. I have been advised to let schools know when I will be home, 3 weeks for winter break and try my hardest to schedule during that time. Otherwise, I should prepare to fly home once or twice for interviews. Im okay with that, and Im making sure to let schools knows I'm abroad so we can figure out interviews. Its a hassle but its so worth it to be able to have the experience Im having over here, and I really think it is doing so much for me as an individual and my development and self-awareness that its worth that hassle.

I understand the commitment to the military with USUHS, Im cool with that :). I love traveling so Im up for them sending me somewhere new, and more importantly I would be honored to serve our nations greatest :)

And yes Creighton is on my list, but the other posters felt (and I concur) that its a reach. But it being Jesuit, I figured thats worth the reach :)

Reactions: candbgirl

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Hey Goro, thank for the advice. I added those 2 schools primarily as safeties, even though I knew they catered only to URM groups because I figured my scores were high enough above their requirements. Maybe that wasn't a good move. I chose 41 schools just because I figured Id rather get in than not lol. The degree abroad is more of a personal betterment thing, and trying to do something Im interested in. I know it won't "Count" to an MD school but it gives me something to do with my gap year and something to write about.
Do you think I should take the schools you didnt list off, or just give it a try anyway? Ive applied to all of them but thats not to say I have to do all the secondaries I get.
They don't need the donations. Take your parents to dinner instead.

About the Ads