• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

Chances in USA with a 3.6 GPA

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
I'm from Canada. Will be applying to US schools this coming summer. I have an overall 3.6 GPA.

I haven't finalized my school choices yet. I'm interested in schools in New York City, New England Area, California, and Penn State.

Is that GPA enough for those regions??

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm from Canada. Will be applying to US schools this coming summer. I have an overall 3.6 GPA.

I haven't finalized my school choices yet. I'm interested in schools in New York City, New England Area, California, and Penn State.

Med schools look at numerous items in an application, and GPA is but one. Given this single parameter, no one can tell you any useful info. A 3.6 with a crummy MCAT (or non-numeric application issues) will get you in nowhere, a 3.6 with a very high MCAT and amazing non-numeric application elements may get you in everywhere. The average GPA from US matriculants is about a 3.5. If you pick up a copy of MSAR, it will provide you the specifics for the schools you are interested in. FWIW, California schools tend to be the most competitive as a group to get into of the groups you listed.

About the Ads

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Also isnt the grading system in Canada much differnt than that in the US (at least at some schools). That is, it is based on a 5.0 grading system? If so, do you mean 3.6 (and im assuming you are) as an A- or a 3.6 on a 5.0 scale?

MadHopsMD

10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2006
North
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

yes, yes they are. make sure you apply to UVM

coffeebythelake

Supreme Commander Anesthesiologist
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
Cleveland
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm from Canada. Will be applying to US schools this coming summer. I have an overall 3.6 GPA. I haven't finalized my school choices yet. I'm interested in schools in New York City, New England Area, California, and Penn State. Is that GPA enough for those regions??

It will not be easy when you are so choosy.

xylem29

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Your 3.6 might not be a 3.6 but higher - depending on your school's grading system, it may transfer to AMCAS quite well.

However - if you are applying as an international applicant, you will need to ensure a couple of things if you really do have a 3.6.

1) Have a high MCAT score
2) Apply VERY early
3) Have some decent EC's...the usual stuff is fine. Volunteering, clubs, hobbies, sports, research, etc.

Oh also - I don't think you should waste your money on any of the UC schools...

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Orange, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

You beat me to it. I doubt a 3.6 will be high enough for any Cali schools. They have enough 3.9 California residents applying that you don't have much of a shot since you're not a resident and don't have that 3.9

squeaky

Hopeful
10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Your 3.6 might not be a 3.6 but higher - depending on your school's grading system, it may transfer to AMCAS quite well.

However - if you are applying as an international applicant, you will need to ensure a couple of things if you really do have a 3.6.

1) Have a high MCAT score
2) Apply VERY early
3) Have some decent EC's...the usual stuff is fine. Volunteering, clubs, hobbies, sports, research, etc.

How does the gpa transfer work? I mean, do they take your cumulative gpa and convert it to the 4.0 scale? Or do they recalculate your gpa from every grade on your transcript? Would these two methods result in the same gpa or different? In what scenrio would a transfer work to the applicants favor? :confused:

xylem29

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
How does the gpa transfer work? I mean, do they take your cumulative gpa and convert it to the 4.0 scale? Or do they recalculate your gpa from every grade on your transcript? Would these two methods result in the same gpa or different? In what scenrio would a transfer work to the applicants favor? :confused:

If the OP's home school considers an 85 to be a 3.7 but AMCAS considers it to be a 4.0.

AMCAS recalculates your gpa from each course...now, let's not make a big deal outta this because the difference is not that much - it's not like the difference b/w 3.6 and 3.7...the transcript gpa may be 3.6 but for amcas it could be 3.63...

omegaxx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 20, 2006
Boston, MA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
An OMSAS GPA of 3.6 is more than enough to give you a shot at most schools. Just make sure you rock the MCAT.
Also, choose your schools carefully, namely:
1) Don't waste $ on Californian schools, public and private.
2) Don't waste $ on public schools.
3) Don't waste $ on lower-tiered schools as they know they will be dropped like they're hot as soon as that Canadian acceptance (with a MUCH cheaper price tag) flies in.

samwise2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
You beat me to it. I doubt a 3.6 will be high enough for any Cali schools. They have enough 3.9 California residents applying that you don't have much of a shot since you're not a resident and don't have that 3.9

Hey, actually, I had a 3.6 or so overall (slightly higher science) and I got an interview at a UC OOS. And my MCAT is not super-high. I think if you have the $30, you should go for it. And the secondary for Cali schools is only $60... a bargain...:D

About the Ads

senioritaelena

Let's go
10+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
really,
I think it depends on each individual Canadaina d their entire package--GPA, MCAT EC's, and what kind of doctor you want to be. Fristly, call schools and ask if they accept Canadians. I emailed like 20 schools and gave them a brief synopsis on me and all replied and gave me hints as to whether I would be competitive of not, especially as a Canadian. There are a few schools that do take lots of Canadians--Wayne, EVMS, that I know of. Also if you want to practice in an underserved area apply to those kind of schools. You should check out the MSAR, but with a 3.6 and around a 30 MCAT, I think you should be fine.

omegaxx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 20, 2006
Boston, MA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey, actually, I had a 3.6 or so overall (slightly higher science) and I got an interview at a UC OOS. And my MCAT is not super-high. I think if you have the $30, you should go for it. And the secondary for Cali schools is only $60... a bargain...:D

good for you! mind if i ask which uc this is?
ucsf has always been my dream school, but i called and was informed that they only accepted 1 or 2 international students in the past decade:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
I think its more of an issue if the OP is considered an international applicant or not.
Do DO schools take international applicants? I would figure they would be more likely to take a person with an average GPA but the issue of not being an US citizen against them. If nothing else they make for a good fallback plan.....

Dr.Inviz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Do DO schools take international applicants? I would figure they would be more likely to take a person with an average GPA but the issue of not being an US citizen against them. If nothing else they make for a good fallback plan.....

My guess is they would. most are private institutions. Besides, don't they look at the applicant more holistically than MD schools? Thus, they dare not judge because the OP is not American-born ... that wouldn't be judging holistically, now would it ...?

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
My guess is they would. most are private institutions. Besides, don't they look at the applicant more holistically than MD schools? Thus, they dare not judge because the OP is not American-born ... that wouldn't be judging holistically, now would it ...?
Got tired of playing with the Happy Tree Friends and decided to come back home to the Thunderdome eh?

OCPreMed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Los Angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
to the OP: I applied with a 3.6 gpa and a 36 MCAT score and I have had interviews from cali schools and even one at yale PLUS to top it off, I wasn't complete at schools till Mid november because I took the August MCAT. So there is plenty of hope..

also, your gpa trend is really important meaning how has your gpa fluctuated. Has it been consistently a 3.6 or was it much lower or higher and has raised or dropped respectivley...

some schools really look at your overal gpa with a grain of salt and examine your gpa year by year; which the amcas application automatically does for you. good luck, don't stress, and land a high mcat.

MadHopsMD

10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2006
North
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
really,
I think it depends on each individual Canadaina d their entire package--GPA, MCAT EC's, and what kind of doctor you want to be. Fristly, call schools and ask if they accept Canadians. I emailed like 20 schools and gave them a brief synopsis on me and all replied and gave me hints as to whether I would be competitive of not, especially as a Canadian. There are a few schools that do take lots of Canadians--Wayne, EVMS, that I know of. Also if you want to practice in an underserved area apply to those kind of schools. You should check out the MSAR, but with a 3.6 and around a 30 MCAT, I think you should be fine.

NO desrespect...but you dont count. :p There are very few black woman applying to medicine. blah blah I know you didnt apply as a URM, but the truth is all schools will love to have a well qualified black woman like you :)

i think the points xylem makes are true. High MCAT, applying early will matter more to you since your gpa is little lower side for international peeps. But still you should have more oppurtunity of getting accepted then in Canada with that GPA because American schools do look at a whole picture. even though MCAT and GPA are still king.

3.5 and 30 MCAT are true for American students.

For canadians I say, 3.7 and 32+ MCAT (these stats will almost ensure you an acceptance)

MadHopsMD

10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2006
North
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

also i would still apply to UCLA (NOT UC-davis or UC-San Fran). I know canadian peeps who got accepted/interviews at UCLA. I dont think UC-Davis as ever accepted any international students since the turn of the century. As for UC -San Fran, unless you are running for a nobel i would not bother applying to that school...

Those are the only 3 UC that you can apply to. I know few canadians with acceptances in USC and loma linda. But USC you need 5 credits of humanties to apply and loma linda you pretty much need a letter from a priest lol.

Just apply UCLA. And if you have 5 humanties credits than apply to USC also.

Edit: almost forgot stanford. ya i would definitely apply there if you get 39+ MCAT lol. or you have some killer resume. but 3.6 should not really limit you to this school either (but high mcat and killer resume is a must)

About the Ads

MadHopsMD

10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2006
North
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

the obvious question now is. whats wrong with the American South and Mid West? lol. I been to both places for interviews...and they are nice areas too

xylem29

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Why not go to med school in Canada

If, and this is a very important IF, the OP is from Ontario - there are several scenarios:

1) The OP bombed the first 2 years but achieved a 3.7 or higher in the last two years - if so, they can go ahead and apply to Queens (HOWEVER, for Queens, the last two years must be 3.78 for current cycle) or Western because they will use your best two/last two if your overall gpa misses the cut-off. But OP needs to meet the MCAT cut-offs too. Tough stuff to get an interview however --->

If total score is less than 30, any section under 10, or WS less than P - automatic rejection at Queen's - at Western, similar scenario.

If the OP is not from the Southwestern Ontario Medical Education Network (SWOMEN) area - then OP will need a 3.7, MCAT of 30, all sections 10 or higher, and WS Q or higher - otherwise, automatic rejection. Most Ontario applicants are not from the SWOMEN area.

2) The OP actually has a pretty good record, but really REALLy fcked up 4 courses (as in getting 50s) - assuming the OP took 5 credits per year, every year (100% load/year) - UToronto will drop the worst 4 credits and the OPs gpa in the eyes of UToronto may very well be a 3.7 or higher. In this case, the OP should apply to UToronto.

3)The OP has exceptional ECs and exceptional LORs - the OP can apply to McMaster...

4)The OP consistently has a 3.5-3.6 each year, did not take a full course load every year, and the MCAT scores did not meet the Queens or Western cut-offs - coming from Ontario, the OP is screwed and has to apply to US schools, because applying to other provinces will mean the OP is competing for 10 spots (at max) at each school...and while a 3.6 GPA is good enough for UAlberta, etc or schools in the maritimes (like memorial and dalhousie), since he/she will be OOP, he/she is subjected to MUCH higher standards for both the GPA and MCAT scores.

If the OP is from Quebec (and fully fluent in French and can attend medical school taught entirely in french), Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Manitoba or the maritime provinces - I don't see why they would need to apply to the US.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Hey,

First off thanks for all the replies I appreciate everyone's input.
My current MCAT score (#2) is a 29Q.
I wrote the test way too early the first time - after first year without taking orgo or much physics, and also didn't take a prep course. I figured that I could just teach myself from the book, anyways I won't mention my first score.

My second score is not that hot I know and I am thinking of writing it one last time.

For those inquiring about Canada. As some of you know the process in Ontario is VERY competitive, like 5000+ applicants for 100 spots. You can't apply to many schools out west because you must reside in the given province or they only take 2 out of province applicants, which is a waste of money. The process is kinda sketchy for many schools and I have heard many bad things about cheating, knowing people inside the system, also the fact that many schools use community volunteers (including parents of applicants) to judge the personal essays + interviews and on and on. I don't want to b**** about this on here but basically I feel the process in the US is much more fair and basically provides more opportunities. I'm thinking of residing in the US afterwards anyway.

I'm totally open to applying to any schools in the US, not just the areas I've listed. I'm also interested in Duke.

I'm looking for any school that will take me but preferably in a nice larger city, with a positive faculty and student body. A more open-minded group of people who are more relaxed.

omegaxx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 20, 2006
Boston, MA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey,

I wrote the test way too early the first time - after first year without taking orgo or much physics, and also didn't take a prep course. I figured that I could just teach myself from the book, anyways I won't mention my first score.

My second score is not that hot I know and I am thinking of writing it one last time.

For those inquiring about Canada. As some of you know the process in Ontario is VERY competitive, like 5000+ applicants for 100 spots. You can't apply to many schools out west because you must reside in the given province or they only take 2 out of province applicants, which is a waste of money. The process is kinda sketchy for many schools and I have heard many bad things about cheating, knowing people inside the system, also the fact that many schools use community volunteers (including parents of applicants) to judge the personal essays + interviews and on and on. I don't want to b**** about this on here but basically I feel the process in the US is much more fair and basically provides more opportunities. I'm thinking of residing in the US afterwards anyway.

I'm totally open to applying to any schools in the US, not just the areas I've listed. I'm also interested in Duke.

I'm looking for any school that will take me but preferably in a nice larger city, with a positive faculty and student body. A more open-minded group of people who are more relaxed.

Take sometime, bump your mcat to a 32+, and you should be ready to go with some solid ECs and LORs. Spent some time on your PS. Apply early (like June, July early) if you are thinking about rolling schools. Best of luck fellow Canuck!

PS. There is a thread in the American schools subforum of premed101.com that lists schools which have been known to take Canadians. Take a look at that before you decide on a list.

Wanna_B_Scutty

MS1
10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hey,

---

OP,

No disrespect intended, but a 3.6 GPA and a 29 MCAT is simply nowhere near to the kind of stats you'd need to get into Duke or any similarly ranked institution. You'd need something more along the lines of a 3.75+ GPA with a 35+ MCAT.

You would be better served by (1) creating a list of more middle tier schools with a few lower tier "safeties" thrown in- though, of course, there are no true safties in the USA and (2) taking the advice of the other posters and reconciling your list of middle and lower tier schools to the available lists of Canuck-friendly schools.

That said, apply to Duke if you absolutely really, really, really want to. But you should be warned that Duke is very, very, very unlikely to happen for you. If you focus instead on getting your MD from any reputable, respectable school you will probably be much more satisfied with your outcome.

Good luck to you. :luck:

Dayne

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I applied to the US this past application cycle. My stats were 3.70 GPA and 30 O (10, 10, 10). Needless to say, I got no interviews (just a bunch of holds/possible interviews). I am a Canadian.

I applied to Albany, Rosalind Franklin, Wayne State, Jefferson, Howard, Meharry, NYMC, GW, and AECOM. I did apply kind of late, as I submitted my secondaries by the end of October. But I don't know if that was the only factor. I am trying to evaluate what went wrong with my application. It could have also been the fact that I didn't have any grades for org chem (as I am currently taking it). It could have been that while my grades were IMO, decent, they just weren't anything superb about them either. I got the sense that my GPA/MCAT just weren't good enough considering that I was Canadian. Neither stat didn't seem to have that "wow" factor (i.e. like a 3.9 GPA or a MCAT of +33).

I'll probably also revamp my personal statement just in case for next year. And at the present time, I am just increasing the quality of my EC's.

xylem29

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I think that the 3.6 and 29O should be fine as long as you have some good EC's. I know this will come as a shock to the US kids, but do you have any "shadowing" experiences? US schools seem to like that, even though its not that easy to get these kinds of experiences in Canada, at least not in Ontario. I volunteered in a nursing home and worked with alzheimer's patients (in the home) - but apparently that doesn't count...I just landed an observership with an anaesthesiologist who said that it was weird that I wanted to shadow him when I'm not even in med school yet...anyway, that's besides the point.

Just make sure you have good EC's and some type of exposure to medicine - volunteering in general and being involved in sports and other clubs or hobbies are good - but unlike the Ontario schools where an active life outside of academics is enough, you need "healthcare" experience for US schools.

You could try my friend, you can certainly try and there's no harm in trying for the top 10 schools (only harm is wasting money) - you never know what'll happen unless you try. With that in mind, here's the list (as pointed out by omegaxx) of US schools you should look into http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19065

Given your gpa and MCAT - I recommend once again that you apply very early and try to get your AMCAS primary verifed by July. EARLY, EARLY, EARLY, EARLY. Remember this word: EARLY.

C

Critical Mass

Medical education is not something that should be undertaken as a fallback plan IMO.

A 3.6 with no MCAT score is not something that can be commented on with great certainty.

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
Right behind you
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Medical education is not something that should be undertaken as a fallback plan IMO.

A 3.6 with no MCAT score is not something that can be commented on with great certainty.

He mentioned his MCAT on another post on this same thread, I'm assuming you didn't read it. He said the score was 29Q.

I'm surprised not much more people have jumped on him about whether he's a PR (permanent resident of the US) or not, in which case he'd be considered international. They would have jumped on someone from almost any other country with the same stats.

C

Critical Mass

He mentioned his MCAT on another post on this same thread, I'm assuming you didn't read it. He said the score was 29Q.

I'm surprised not much more people have jumped on him about whether he's a PR (permanent resident of the US) or not, in which case he'd be considered international. They would have jumped on someone from almost any other country with the same stats.

My bad. I think that the OP would be a good candidate as a state resident for a US state school in that case, but it would be a tough swing as a non-resident even with PR status in the US.

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
Right behind you
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
My bad. I think that the OP would be a good candidate as a state resident for a US state school in that case, but it would be a tough swing as a non-resident even with PR status in the US.

Um...if he was a PR he would HAVE TO be living in the US, otherwise you lose your visa. And I'm a PR and I've been successful this cycle, by the way, we have the same consideration as US citizens.

C

Critical Mass

Um...if he was a PR he would HAVE TO be living in the US, otherwise you lose your visa. And I'm a PR and I've been successful this cycle, by the way, we have the same consideration as US citizens.

I think that we are agreeing, I just can't quite ascertain what state the OP is a resident in. As someone else pointed out, I think that 29/3.6 in and of itself is a tough swing as a non-resident for a state school. The state of residence, IMO, is always the first consideration when pondering medical school after grades are determined and the MCAT has been taken.

{baylormed} Good luck at UTSW!

lovexn

The Devil who wears Panda
10+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Ok, I'm international, applied very late, poor verbal score (great B, P & W scores, GPA, research and LORs), and just got into an MD-PhD. I gotta tell you that it's a really hard process, even to get an interview. I was rejected for my status as F-1 easily (I inquired the schools and I was told so, so state residents and PR are interviewed first and slots were filled up). But as far as the schools that I have interviewed at, I either get accepted or on hold (towards the top). That shows how you have to ensure that you are showing the best of your strengths in your interview. But, that being said, apply EARLY and do well on your MCAT! Good luck!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.