MD & DO Chances? Leaning DO, considering MD still.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPresident

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I am a junior currently, in a state without any medical school I have a real shot at (only one, competitive). Regionally, UNECOM is the closest, and I live in New England which will give me some slight preference I suppose. I would like MD but to be realistic, DO is probably where I will end up. Fine by me. I have not yet taken the MCAT, however I feel confident it will go well enough. A little about my college career thus far...

Academics:
cGPA ~3.3
sGPA ~3.3
Freshman year cGPA was 3.0, sophomore 3.55, junior 3.75. Kind upward trend.
Will be most likely retaking my 2 C classes, gen chem/bio 2. I was in ROTC for a period of time before I decided on medicine, dragged me down a little. Based on easily striking a B+ and A in OChem 1/2, I am confident those will be A's. I'm aware that as far as DO applications go, when my GPA is calculated, retakes will replace the grade completely, however will still appear on transcript.

Research:
NONE!!
Big school, small opportunity pool. Will very soon be beginning anthropologic research project with underserved populations in regards to primary care access as well as emergency care use. Will span over my entire senior year.

EC/clinical/patient exposure:
Since October of 2013 have worked as an EMT on a volunteer 911 ambulance, 600 hours in 2014, 106 patients. Just obtained Advanced-EMT license. Beginning additional paid work on a 911/transfer service in conjunction with volunteer 911. As far as leadership goes in this field, I am a crew chief as of last week. This pertains to running my ambulance crew (1 to 2 other EMTs) and having more operational responsibility, as well as actively training new providers on a regular basis.
Work over summers/per diem in winter at an assisted living facility as a PCA.
Worked for 2 summers/winters in an oncology clinic as a pharmacy technician.
Haven't shadowed yet; have setup in an ED with an MD this summer, probably ~50 hours. Will also shadow a DO, either EM or FP, hopefully for a similar amount of time, and will attempt to get a LOR from them.
I will have a single non-science LOR, and hopefully ending this year will also have 2 science professors LORs.

I will additionally most likely be taking a gap year. During this time, my plan is to hopefully do some work with either Global Medical Brigades or AmeriCorps, either with underserved populations. My emphasis in general is primary care in underserved settings, if you couldn't tell already.

I would prefer MD. If I have this same upward trend all the way through senior year as well as successful retakes of 2 C's, my cGPA will be ~3.6 and sGPA will be ~3.55. This is best case scenario. I am confident, but realistic. If I average out with 3.5 both s/cGPA, how will I fare with MD schools? I have no MCAT yet, so I know this might be a lot of speculation.

I am perfectly fine with DO if it comes to that. Medical school is medical school is medical school. What schools do you think I should take a look at/consider with these stats? I've heard some good things about UNECOM, and like I said, it's close to home and I will be given slight preference with that. Any others?

I appreciate any and all input. @Goro, you seem to be the guy to go to. Care to share?

Thanks everyone!

-A.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you can do well on MCAT, and maintain that strong upward trend, then MD scores are in reach. Tufts and BU are two to consider.

I can say is that as of right now, your GPAs are competitive for DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Speaking of BU, I completely forgot about this.

My father obtained his Masters at BU, project management engineering. I know it's not at all related to medicine, but will that have any impact whatsoever?

PS: Thank you for a hasty response!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with Goro.

Right now, your MD chances hinge entirely on your MCAT performance. You really want to knock it out of the park.

Your clinical ECs are very strong, so your application has a lot going for it.

UNECOM is a great school (I was accepted there), and your geographic region will give you a leg up.

Good luck and keep up the good work!