DO Chances? Less than stellar Bachelor's GPA, High sGPA/pbGPA.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jdp00921

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off thank you to anyone who responds. Just looking to see what some others think who may have been accepted already or have gone through the app. process. My pre-health advisor is great and is actively working with me to bring things up to par; however, I just began post-bac. so still have plenty of time to improve whatever is needed. Here's the stats so far:

Bachelor of Accounting cGPA: 2.79. This includes almost no sciences and the lower grades are mostly in the Accounting/Business oriented classes. I have no good excuse. I was lazy and shouldn't of been in college, especially accounting.

More current stats: sGPA/prereqGPA: 3.81, postbacGPA: 3.81. Should finish with 3.8/3.9 by the time I finish.
No MCAT yet, but I'd assume a 30+; however, I'll be taking the new MCAT so not sure how scoring works on that yet. Never researched it. (For this post, assume 30+ on current MCAT)
1 Summer of Research, roughly 200 hours, give or take.
Shadowed a DO, specifically an ENT for roughly 20 hours and received an LOR.
Shadowed a DDS (oral surgeon) (1st shadow experience) who was amazing help in getting me to realize I love medicine in general whether it be actual medicine or dentistry; however, I chose medicine. I also have an LOR from the DDS.
I always worked during school, both bachelors and currently post-bac. I don't work full time but I do work at least 4 days weekly.
My volunteering is lacking. Only about 50 hours of volunteer work now, which I plan on increasing as much as possible throughout the next year.
I was also hoping to get a position as a ER scribe. One student at my school does it now and loves it. Plus, it seems like great experience.

Anyway, just looking for some opinions on chances and I'd also love advice on what else I can be doing. Thanks in advance!!

-Jeff

Members don't see this ad.

First off thank you to anyone who responds. Just looking to see what some others think who may have been accepted already or have gone through the app. process. My pre-health advisor is great and is actively working with me to bring things up to par; however, I just began post-bac. so still have plenty of time to improve whatever is needed. Here's the stats so far:

Bachelor of Accounting cGPA: 2.79. This includes almost no sciences and the lower grades are mostly in the Accounting/Business oriented classes. I have no good excuse. I was lazy and shouldn't of been in college, especially accounting.

More current stats: sGPA/prereqGPA: 3.81, postbacGPA: 3.81. Should finish with 3.8/3.9 by the time I finish.
No MCAT yet, but I'd assume a 30+; however, I'll be taking the new MCAT so not sure how scoring works on that yet. Never researched it. (For this post, assume 30+ on current MCAT)
1 Summer of Research, roughly 200 hours, give or take.
Shadowed a DO, specifically an ENT for roughly 20 hours and received an LOR.
Shadowed a DDS (oral surgeon) (1st shadow experience) who was amazing help in getting me to realize I love medicine in general whether it be actual medicine or dentistry; however, I chose medicine. I also have an LOR from the DDS.
I always worked during school, both bachelors and currently post-bac. I don't work full time but I do work at least 4 days weekly.
My volunteering is lacking. Only about 50 hours of volunteer work now, which I plan on increasing as much as possible throughout the next year.
I was also hoping to get a position as a ER scribe. One student at my school does it now and loves it. Plus, it seems like great experience.

Anyway, just looking for some opinions on chances and I'd also love advice on what else I can be doing. Thanks in advance!!

-Jeff
Will your cumulative undergrad GPA (college + postbac) be greater than 3.0? The application service will figure them both together, and surpassing the 3.0 mark means you are less likely to be auto-screened out of consideration.

Yes! Pending I finish with grades representing how I'm doing currently, it will be right around the 3.0-3.1 range.

Members don't see this ad :)
With your presumed 30+ MCAT score and a strong finish to the postbac, along with decent active clinical experience and maybe some additional shadowing of a primary care doc, I think you'll have a good chance of a DO acceptance. If you get the scribe job, be sure to continue giving volunteer time to a cause you care about (not necessarily medically-related).

100% agree with the Cat

With your presumed 30+ MCAT score and a strong finish to the postbac, along with decent active clinical experience and maybe some additional shadowing of a primary care doc, I think you'll have a good chance of a DO acceptance. If you get the scribe job, be sure to continue giving volunteer time to a cause you care about (not necessarily medically-related).