Chances....low Mcat...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Undhopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGpa 3.7
sGpa 3.9
Volunteering at hospital for past 2 years
LoR from MD, Dean of College, ochem professor
"Chemistry student of the year" for my college, voted on by the science department.

I am an ex-school teacher.......mcat 20.....I HATE THE MCAT! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I would retake and try to get it up to mid 20s at least and then apply DO. All your other credentials are good!

cGpa 3.7
sGpa 3.9
"Chemistry student of the year" for my college, voted on by the science department.

From my understanding of how things work at UND, ECs don't count for much, so that's in your favor. The "Point System" for determining who gets an interview, the last time I got updated, was:
100 points if ND resident,
up to 100 points for MCAT score,
up to 50 points for cGPA,
up to 50 points for BCPM.

If point total is > 147, an interview is offered. It looks to me like you have the potential to exceed that cutoff unless they've posted a minimum MCAT that will be considered. But an interview does not translate into an acceptance 2/3 of the time.

For all other MD and DO schools, you don't have a chance with an MCAT of 20.

The problem with not being able to conquer "The Beast" is that the rest of your medical career requires passing a series of standardized tests: Parts I, II, and III of the Steps to get a medical license, then specialty boards, then recertifying boards periodically after that, not to mention all the tests in med school to pass each class and graduate.

I don't doubt that you can do this with effort, learning strategies, getting the timing down, etc, but I do think you need to figure it out before matriculating to a med school lest you end up incurring horrific debt without ending up with a usable degree. This is one of the reasons why I don't encourage low-MCAT scorers to take the easy route of Caribbean med schools, some of which don't even require an MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks...it's not so much that I am a bad test-taker. Since I am (was) a non-traditional student I was taking O-chem, bio, physio, and calc during the same semester, well trying to study for the MCAT, and maintain A's in the classes. I guess if I don't land an interview, I know what I have to do.

Thanks...it's not so much that I am a bad test-taker. Since I am (was) a non-traditional student I was taking O-chem, bio, physio, and calc during the same semester, well trying to study for the MCAT, and maintain A's in the classes. I guess if I don't land an interview, I know what I have to do.

If you're applying to DO schools you might get an interview. However, you're definitely wasting your time if you don't retake and apply to MD.

Followed UNDHopeful's profile here... the point system was posted by a user on the school-specific thread for UND, here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=895389

The file is here: http://www.und.edu/dept/hpadvize/UNDSMHS Admissions Point System.pdf

Catalystik was very close to correct but did not include residency information.

According to that system and assuming you're a ND resident:
50 points - sGPA of 3.9
42 points - cGPA of 3.7
25 points - MCAT of 20
100 points - North Dakota residency

According to the same PDF file, automatic interviews are around 210 points. With your total of 217, it looks like you might make the cut as long as standards have not gone up. However, that MCAT score is below the 50th percentile, which is a pretty scary thought when you will eventually have to deal with many more standardized exams to get certified. If UND does not have a GPA cutoff, you may have a shot, but I am fairly certain most schools do for this reason. Your GPA indicates you are fairly intelligent and the MCAT is likely an anomaly, so it might be best to take a year off and retake it to demonstrate your abilities.

Good luck!

is there a point based system for every medical school besides und?

cGpa 3.7
sGpa 3.9

As others stated, 20's way too low. Retake the MCAT, and apply broadly to both MD and DO. Good luck.

I appreciate the more recent information. Thanks for providing the links.

You're very welcome. Thanks for all you do for the SDN premeds and these forums. Your contributions are much appreciated.

As others stated, 20's way too low. Retake the MCAT, and apply broadly to both MD and DO. Good luck.

Note he or she has already applied and makes the UND point cutoff for an automatic interview, as long as there is no MCAT cutoff. However, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with a sub-25 MCAT passing certification exams, and it also falls below UND's 10th percentile. Hopefully OP updates us on how their cycle ends, it would be interesting to see how UND handles it as the rest of the application seems sound.

is there a point based system for every medical school besides und?

UND is the only one I know of, but I am not certain. Maybe Catalystik knows of others. The point system simply selects who gets interviews at UND and does not determine acceptances. Other schools often have minimum GPA and MCAT requirements to get reviewed, but I am not aware of other schools that grant interviews based on these alone.

Maybe Catalystik knows of others.
According to EdLongshanks, UOklahoma uses a formula to determine who is invited to interviews.

It's something like:

[(GPA X 3.75) + MCAT/3] all divided by 2. First round interviewees need a 12 or better, then they invite those lower down, depending. Another member, Scalpels, said that BCPM isn't considered until after the interview.

You're very welcome. Thanks for all you do for the SDN premeds and these forums. Your contributions are much appreciated.

Note he or she has already applied and makes the UND point cutoff for an automatic interview, as long as there is no MCAT cutoff. However, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with a sub-25 MCAT passing certification exams, and it also falls below UND's 10th percentile. Hopefully OP updates us on how their cycle ends, it would be interesting to see how UND handles it as the rest of the application seems sound.

UND is the only one I know of, but I am not certain. Maybe Catalystik knows of others. The point system simply selects who gets interviews at UND and does not determine acceptances. Other schools often have minimum GPA and MCAT requirements to get reviewed, but I am not aware of other schools that grant interviews based on these alone.

No UND interview, I am a new resident to ND....I have voted here, registered vehicles, have a ND drivers license, etc....

Looks like without living here 1-5 years, no points are awarded.

I know what I have to do, I am going to reduce hours or possibly quit my job all together, take a MCAT class, and dedicate my efforts to the MCAT. I am not making excuses, but with only needing to focus on "the beast" and not taking 18 credits in addition, I know I can greatly improve my score.

All things happen for a reason, MCAT is my focus and I will be reapplying to UND next year. I should then receive the 50pts for being a resident and have a much improved MCAT score.

Thank you to all for advice and comments. Good luck to everyone else in the process. I am excited and hopeful to add to this thread, 1yr from now, with more exciting news.